Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford Focus RS is too cheap

Interesting article, following up something I had been wondering for a little while based on overseas prices. Its quite unusual for us Aussies to get a car priced cheaper than overseas based on a direct currency conversion. Seems there are varying reasons for this - small market, logistical costs, additional taxes and (most significantly in my opinion) people's ability to pay higher prices allowing manufacturers to put a premium on their vehicles.

I, for one, am happy that Ford have done so on the RS. I was watching late last year to see what price they released at, and once I saw it was $50,990, it was the trigger to put the order in. Does seem that Ford in Australia have been very aggressive with their pricing (Fiesta ST and Focus ST are good examples) and marketing strategy (directly comparing to competitor vehicles). Maybe the plant closures were a kick in the butt they needed to get their house in order?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hersey!!! Shhhhh! Someone'll have your tongue.

Product placement - above STI, below Golf R.

I reckon you're right about Ford needing getting house in order after pulling Australian manufacturing. Nice stroke of idealism from our dearly departed former PM.

·
Super Moderator
15,368 Posts
Blasphemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Product placement - above STI, below Golf R.
This is where I thought Ford would place it - just below the VW. Similar to the ST positioning relative to the GTI. Interesting that Subaru in Australia has dropped their price point also for the WRX/STI, undercutting most of the rivals.

The trade off is the limited option selection that we have. In saying that, the standard spec is fairly well optioned given the pricing.

Note that I am definitely not complaining about the price, as it's a nice change. Perhaps some of the other brands could look at pricing their products more closely to overseas markets....

·
Registered
669 Posts
It's about time we got a good deal. The 86/BRZ was the first to bring in really sharp pricing in recent memory. The RS takes that to another level, punching above its weight with the RS3 and A45 AMG which are both roughly $30k more.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Quick, gag that man! The reason is on two counts - simply that they wanted to undercut the Golf R and Ford are a 'peoples brand'. Not to be confused with VW being the 'peoples car', which is what they'd like you to believe. If so, come in sucker - their spare parts prices will make you open your cake hole a bit longer..........

·
Registered
626 Posts
Car prices in OZ are odd, always have been, 12 years ago I got a Peugeot 206GTi 180 new for around $36K funny thing was in UK it cost 300 pounds more than a Mini CooperS, Top Gear magazine questioned why would you spend 300 pounds more for the little pug when the Mini Cooper S was so good, the answer was the Pug did everything better, The kicker is that the CooperS cost $15K more in Australia than the Peugeot. But BMW aren't ripping you of at all ...... LMFAO
The price for the RS made me buy one too, that and I always wanted a true RS and since the 80's to me that has meant turbo and AWD, pity some Ford Europe employee stole the original focus RS plans which were for an AWD Focus about the same time I bought the Peugeot or we would have had 10 years worth of awd Focus RS. Oh well better late than never.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Schultz
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing