Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m taking the heads of my car and replacing a few things. This is the first time I’m doing this. I’ll be doing it with my neighbor who’s been a mechanic for his whole life.
I was wondering if anyone has instructions on how to do the timing procedure?
I’ll be buying a timing tool kit from TunePlus but wanna make sure we do everything correctly.
Thank you in advanced

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
So, what kind of work are you doing that requires removing the cylinder head? Replacing the head gasket?

Its a DOHC engine with a true timing chain. So the procedure is pretty much the same as it would be for any of those. The steps may vary depending on how the tensioner is setup but the basics are:

Rotate the engine till both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on Cylinder 1, and then slowly bring the piston up to top dead center. You can use a long handled screw driver, wooden rod...etc till the rod stops moving upwards. Thats when the engine will be at TDC on Cyl#1's power stroke. At that point you mark the position of the cams and the crank.

When you re-install, you will place the crank/cams back in these positions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what kind of work are you doing that requires removing the cylinder head? Replacing the head gasket?

Its a DOHC engine with a true timing chain. So the procedure is pretty much the same as it would be for any of those. The steps may vary depending on how the tensioner is setup but the basics are:

Rotate the engine till both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on Cylinder 1, and then slowly bring the piston up to top dead center. You can use a long handled screw driver, wooden rod...etc till the rod stops moving upwards. Thats when the engine will be at TDC on Cyl#1's power stroke. At that point you mark the position of the cams and the crank.

When you re-install, you will place the crank/cams back in these positions.
yeah I’m replacing the headgasket and resurfacing the head

·
Registered
434 Posts
I recently had a look through the engine build procedure for “reasons.” If you want to follow the service manual method, there is a port on the block for inserting a tool that helps align the crank at TDC or BDC. I’d assume it helps take out some of the guesswork.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You need to install the crank TDC tool in the dedicated hole in the rear of the block then turn the crank till it contacts the stop and make sure it stays there. Then fit the cam timing tool to the ends of both cams so the cams are aligned. You then fit the timing cover and pulley and insert the crank pulley alignment pin in the pulley and cover then remove that tool and hold the pulley with a pulley holder and torque up the pulley nut which is base torque and angle tightened ( very tight). The traps? make sure the crank doesn't move back off the TDC stop at any time and make sure you dont torque the pulley up with the pulley alignment pin installed as you will break the engine cover. You need to stop the pulley rotating by using a pulley holding tool. Make sure you use 2 new friction washers on the pulley/crank and you will need to remover the oil pump drive chain and gears to do this.

Ciao

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to install the crank TDC tool in the dedicated hole in the rear of the block then turn the crank till it contacts the stop and make sure it stays there. Then fit the cam timing tool to the ends of both cams so the cams are aligned. You then fit the timing cover and pulley and insert the crank pulley alignment pin in the pulley and cover then remove that tool and hold the pulley with a pulley holder and torque up the pulley nut which is base torque and angle tightened ( very tight). The traps? make sure the crank doesn't move back off the TDC stop at any time and make sure you dont torque the pulley up with the pulley alignment pin installed as you will break the engine cover. You need to stop the pulley rotating by using a pulley holding tool. Make sure you use 2 new friction washers on the pulley/crank and you will need to remover the oil pump drive chain and gears to do this.

Ciao
Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts