Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a used 2017 focus rs and it looks like the recall wasnt done on the car. Is it still possible for me to get the head gasket replaced on the car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a used 2017 focus rs and it looks like the recall wasnt done on the car. Is it still possible for me to get the head gasket replaced on the car.
It wasn't a recall... so you'll have trouble getting it done. That being said, you can reach out to your local Ford dealer and see if they'll help you out. Your final step is to reach out to Ford Customer service. If there's any evidence that a Ford dealer sold it after the FSA was released, you'll have some ground to stand on. Keep in mind, you're still likely under the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts

I mean, I don’t want to sound rude here, but why not investigate that before buying the car? A simple phone call to Ford Customer Care & give them the VIN & they’ll tell you if 17B32 was completed.

What’s the build date inside the drivers side door? How many miles are on the car? I believe the FSA had to have been done my the spring of 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Find out if you need it.

(If you have the correct head gasket you don't)

From what I’ve been told on this forum, every 2016-2017 RS with a build date on the door before 10/17 needs the head gasket replaced. Inside door build date 10/17 & up, you’re good to go.

What’s bizarre is some CARFAX reports show it but most don’t. So buyers need to do their own research & not just look at how low the mileage is. Honestly, the lower mileage cars are the ones that worry me the most, because since they weren’t driven much, did the owners take the time to get it done?

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's pretty easy to check if the updated gasket is installed. Some MY 2017 do have it. I have a 2018 LE so I know I have the right one, that said I checked anyways with an inspection mirror and felt with my finger for that hole with the pressed on brass collar / rivet. Sure enough it was the correct gasket.

Check out this post of how to inspect it for yourself before some incompetent dealer tears your engine apart for no good reason and causes even more issues....

·
Registered
578 Posts
From what I’ve been told on this forum, every 2016-2017 RS with a build date on the door before 10/17 needs the head gasket replaced. Inside door build date 10/17 & up, you’re good to go.

What’s bizarre is some CARFAX reports show it but most don’t. So buyers need to do their own research & not just look at how low the mileage is. Honestly, the lower mileage cars are the ones that worry me the most, because since they weren’t driven much, did the owners take the time to get it done?

You actually want to check the ENGINE build date, not the cars build date.
It's on the sticker on the cam cover. Drivers side in Australia, passenger side US.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I mean, I don’t want to sound rude here, but why not investigate that before buying the car? A simple phone call to Ford Customer Care & give them the VIN & they’ll tell you if 17B32 was completed.

What’s the build date inside the drivers side door? How many miles are on the car? I believe the FSA had to have been done my the spring of 2019?

The problem is most non--owners dont even know there was an FSA on the Focus RS. Not something people usually investigate when buying a second hand car still under factory warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The problem is most non--owners dont even know there was an FSA on the Focus RS. Not something people usually investigate when buying a second hand car still under factory warranty.

I hear you & I agree to a certain extent, however anyone looking at a Focus RS or ST is typically a little more knowledgeable that the average Joe, otherwise you’d think they’d just buy a regular Focus. You’d have to be living under a rock to not know about the head gaskets, seating position, stiff ride etc. I’ve learned a lot by just reading Phil’s posts on here & a few reviews on YouTube, like savagegeese, Matt Moran, Doug etc.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
OP, (as some already suggested) reach out to your local Ford dealer. If not reach out to Ford Customer Service.

Just get it checked, they can see that in their system.

I wish you the best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DeanHart, correct. If you have a protruding gasket on drivers side front of head with a brass grommet in it then you're good. DeanHart must have a 2018 car or very close to it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The issue with relying on the 5 year powertrain warranty is that Ford explicitly states in the FSA letter that was mailed to owners that warranty might be denied if the headgasket was not replaced. (I believe the paragraph is on the second page of the letter)

I guess they can still honor the warranty but it's not as clear cut as just relying on the warranty...

·
Registered
394 Posts
The issue with relying on the 5 year powertrain warranty is that Ford explicitly states in the FSA letter that was mailed to owners that warranty might be denied if the headgasket was not replaced. (I believe the paragraph is on the second page of the letter)

I guess they can still honor the warranty but it's not as clear cut as just relying on the warranty...
Who said It would be covered by warranty?

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here’s what I don’t understand: If these cars have a 5/60 powertrain, then why won’t Ford replace the gaskets under that? Assuming the car was bought second-hand & the new owner is unaware? Obviously the safe bet is to just buy a 2018, but what if you don’t want those two colors?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Here’s what I don’t understand: If these cars have a 5/60 powertrain, then why won’t Ford replace the gaskets under that? Assuming the car was bought second-hand & the new owner is unaware? Obviously the safe bet is to just buy a 2018, but what if you don’t want those two colors?

Because it's a known issue with the potential to cause complete engine failure, which will cost ford a lot more than just doing the HG replacement. Basically they are covering their ass/bottom line.

Reactions: PokerRun388
1 - 20 of 21 Posts