Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
@MidCow3 technically, in formal speech, only the surname is to be mentioned when referring to one that is not present. But then again there was a time when those of a certain status could be beheaded for referring to the king by name. But I guess that just shows the sign of the times and that the Internet is a place where people can do or say as they please.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Damn, that's some crazy high PSI. Is that normal for performance vehicles?

Spare - none, that's a pity. Is it possible to get your own spare? I do like having that as an option. Drove over an unfortunately cut curb last year trying to avoid a car pulling out into me, and blew the tire's sidewall; was nice having a spare for getting to the tire shop.
No room for a spare with the higher rear floor to package the AWD. It comes with a slime and compressor tire repair kit. See my other thread for a picture of the cargo area: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/12-focus-rs-photos-videos/1189-nb-rs2-display-jdrf-raffle.html

will be interesting to see if the tires really do need to be inflated that high to stay off the shoulders and wear evenly. it would seem pressures that high will wear the heck out of the middle tread in short time for daily driving but I could see drift mode requiring it to aid in breaking traction.
Yeah, I would also guess that it has to do with drift mode. I'll most likely be lowering the pressure on mine for daily driving. I know Ford's Tire Pressure Sensors set off an alert on the dash when they get below 10psi of the recommended pressure though, so have to avoid that.

Watching the video again, it seems like they are doing their testing with the forged wheels, wonder if they are using the Cups to do their calibrations.

Cabin sound under hard throttle is really impressive now, better than the Golf R - whether it's been improved over the initial prototypes or Ford is now using better quality recording hardware, who knows. Still not a fan of the external sound, wish it was deeper, but that's not what I'll be hearing inboard so it's not so important.
I thought when they zoomed in on the wheels, they were PSS', but not 100% sure. The exhaust sound is also a lot deeper in person. The camera microphones don't do it justice!

The 46 PSI is the max pressure limit for the tire according to Tire Rack - so I suspect this sticker was put on to warn the testers not to exceed those limits as they played around with different pressures and setups.... it's not intended to be the production sticker.
Tire Rack says it's 50psi: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&partnum=335YR9PSSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Focus%20RS&autoModClar=. Testers also don't look at safety stickers on the car. They'll put the pressure at whatever they see fit. The max tire pressure is also written on the sidewall of each tire, so they can reference that too.

Am I the only one that doesn't care so much about gas mileage? I for one love the popping from the exhaust, but I've owned both SRT4 platforms. Take away a mile or 2 in gas mileage and give my that sound!. If I wanted to buy a car to get good gas mileage, I would have gotten a Prius... Can't wait to see the next video!
I love the pops and burbles as well, but this will be my daily driver and since I drive 40 miles each way to work every weekday, I'd also like it to return some decent fuel economy. Of course I understand this is a performance car first and a compact car second and some mileage will be sacrificed for it, which I'm fine with, but the point of a hot hatch is to be a jack of all trades, including getting decent mileage. It's partly why I'm trading my Mustang for it. I'm kinda hoping the pops and burbles are reduced in normal mode for fuel economy and then cranked up for all other drive modes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I love the pops and burbles as well, but this will be my daily driver and since I drive 40 miles each way to work every weekday, I'd also like it to return some decent fuel economy. Of course I understand this is a performance car first and a compact car second and some mileage will be sacrificed for it, which I'm fine with, but the point of a hot hatch is to be a jack of all trades, including getting decent mileage. It's partly why I'm trading my Mustang for it. I'm kinda hoping the pops and burbles are reduced in normal mode for fuel economy and then cranked up for all other drive modes.
If they were smart, they would have engineered it so that you could add or remove the pops/burbles. Perhaps they could have them removed while in normal mode, increasing fuel efficiency, but on during sport/track/drift. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Love it. I also love that Raj, even tho 80% of the Car was good, told them to get off their ass and make fix the rest of the Stuff. Thats what this sort of cars is all about: Make them once in a while, but when you do, go all out with them. And I am kinda relieved that the Car does have the RWD feel to it as stated in the video - awesome!

Yeah, AWD Drifts are gona be alot of fun :cool:
I agree. I know there is a good amount of PR in the video, but seeing and hearing the comments from the team is awesome.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but tire repair kits don't work on side-walls - do they?
I can answer this with a resounding NO! My wife cut the sidewall of her MCA and had to call Roadside Assistance only to wait awhile to be towed since she was in the middle of no where. This also happened on a Sunday after the repair shops were closed and no one carried the replacement tire size further complicating everything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For all you guys wondering about pops and burbles, and how it affects efficiency:

First, fuel is not injected in the exhaust. It is injected into the cylinders by the injectors, but because you are off throttle, there is not enough air to get a complete burn (non-stoichiometric, aka rich). Now, if you inject air into the exhaust header, unburned fuel will ignite as it leaves the exhaust ports in the head. Motorcycles and cars have Pulse Air Injection (PAIR) systems which do just this intentionally, to prevent the bad stuff from going into our environment. When you put an aftermarket exhaust on a motorcycle, the pops and burbles are almost impossibly annoying and unbearable, so lots of guys will disable the PAIR system to quiet it down.

So, yes, this can be tuned out easily by ensuring the proper amount of (or no) fuel is injected off-throttle, for the economy-minded. Alternatively you may somehow be able to disable the PAIR system, for those that can't afford a tune.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I can answer this with a resounding NO! My wife cut the sidewall of her MCA and had to call Roadside Assistance only to wait awhile to be towed since she was in the middle of no where. This also happened on a Sunday after the repair shops were closed and no one carried the replacement tire size further complicating everything.
Oh, that sucks! That's really my main concern - being stuck without a simple to use spare and wasting potentially a ton of time on just sitting around and waiting on tow trucks

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sidewall damage is the worst type of damage a tire can have. No shop will repair a sidewall damaged tire and stand by there work or warranty it. Also unnerving to drive. If it's a punctured sidewall, say goodbye to it.

or you could take it here,
I would never.

As for Episode 7. So, Chief Nair complained about the power and stiffness in Normal mode. What he means is, it needs more power, basically. Man, I hope they even bump it up more to 375hp! (a hotter RS?)

61 - 77 of 77 Posts