Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! Stoked that there is a forum to reach out for advice and opinions. I have had my Rs for about 6 months now and am looking to add a few upgrades. I ordered a Full Intake, Rear motor mount and a quickshift from Mountune.

I am looking to keep my Warranty safe and also the car. I wanted a few upgrades without tuning the car and sacrificing the longevity of the motor. I have read and looked and searched to find my answer, but I cannot seem to find it.

My question is if I install the Intake on my vehicle obviously with the High Flow air filter as well will this throw off my AFR badly enough to affect the car in any way shape or form?

Thanks guys!! I appreciate any input that you can give.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Guys! Stoked that there is a forum to reach out for advice and opinions. I have had my Rs for about 6 months now and am looking to add a few upgrades. I ordered a Full Intake, Rear motor mount and a quickshift from Mountune.

I am looking to keep my Warranty safe and also the car. I wanted a few upgrades without tuning the car and sacrificing the longevity of the motor. I have read and looked and searched to find my answer, but I cannot seem to find it.

My question is if I install the Intake on my vehicle obviously with the High Flow air filter as well will this throw off my AFR badly enough to affect the car in any way shape or form?

Thanks guys!! I appreciate any input that you can give.
No, this car doesn't have MAF sensors and unlike Subarus, etc., the ECU is dynamic enough to account for any changes of airflow. The intake tract on the RS isn't a restriction so you can simply upgrade the filter to support higher boost levels through tuning.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just to elaborate on the above, on a MAF based car the air mass is computed based on assumed/tuned parameters of the intake tubing. That's why changing the intake messes up AFRs. The Focus uses a couple different sensors deeper in the engine to work out the amount of air coming into the motor, so a simple intake swap doesn't require tuning.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, this car doesn't have MAF sensors and unlike Subarus, etc., the ECU is dynamic enough to account for any changes of airflow. The intake tract on the RS isn't a restriction so you can simply upgrade the filter to support higher boost levels through tuning.
Thank you!! I know my friend psyched me out last night. He put a Intake on his Subaru and it has been a downhill road from there. Blew his motor once, he has taken it in 5 different times and the whole experience has been a nightmare for him. Grateful to have an RS :eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you PROMIT!! I am no expert when it comes to technical mechanics but I do have a general idea of how a car should perform and the basics. I appreciate your reply. So basically the car will adjust appropriately?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts