Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most likely will be buying the RS. Whether it be in the first or second batch I don't know, but it's the top car of my list. What is the general impression for the maintenance costs / reliability of the RS? I figured since it shares the same engine as the ecoboost mustang, engine related maintenance won't be too dissimilar. Not sure how maintenance costs would translate to items such as brakes and normal wear and tear. It seems like there may be costly repairs to any drivetrain repairs or service I would think.

Also, never owned a Ford. Anyone have good or bad luck owning one before in terms of dealer support and ease? So far, my experience with dealers in MA has been poor. The one's I've dealt with seem to not know much about the cars they are selling. Almost bought a mustang ecoboost before this and I was far more knowledgable about the vehicle than every dealer I went to. Same goes for RS, where most have no idea what an RS is.

Look forward to hear what you guys think.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The driveline should be fairly good. From all of the Land Rover GKN systems, almost all of the issues are transmission related with the automatic. Obviously we won't have the same issues there. And maintenance there is just oil. You will probably need to change the clutch packs out before 200k if you drive it hard...

As far as the costs, it matters if you are a DYI or dealership kind of guy. Dealership prices are dealership prices. DYI costs will be a little higher until enough of the issues have been fixed, but like you mentioned, most of the engine issues will be the same as the other ecoboost models like the mustang.

Brakes are just Brembos. I have driven 60k on a set of pads, and they still have some life left. 156k on the rotors but they will need to be replaced next go around...

So my thoughts are, it'll probably be a great car to sell at 120k. You'll have done full fluids twice (at 40K & 80K), Brake pads once (at 60k), Belts (including timing)/water pump (at 90K) and will be prime ready for a lot of things at 120k (Clutch, fluids, pads, engine hoses, etc...)...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Loveddd my fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. Loveddddd, until it got written off by another ford, go figure lol.

Hated, hated my buying experience. Never brought my car there for service. I owned an oil change place at the time so I just did my maintenance there. Never made it above 30 thousand kilometers but up until then it ran flawless.

Can't stand dealers and their service. Product was top notch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've done research on other AWD vehicles like the EVO, STI, WRX

Maintenance is like any other car, except when it comes to the AWD, which can end up being extra "oil changes" every 30k miles of the car. For the EVO, every 30k miles you have to change the Transfer case fluid, Rear Differential fluid, and also the Transmission fluid. Not to mention, basic oil/filter change. Every 15k miles you need to flush the coolant. Cars these days as far as I know don't really need coolant flush services, and if done, it would be done when you're changing your Timing Belt/Thermostat at 60k miles. EVO is high maintenance in my oppinion, and is really outdated. The 2015 STI service is not as tedious, but you do have to worry about changing all 4 tires at the same time if one tire does need replacement. I think the easiest maintenance on an AWD performance vehicle would be the WRX.

My concern for the Focus RS would primarily be the maintenance of the AWD system and 6 speed Transmission. Other than that, the Engine oil/filter change, brake pad/rotor change, Brake fluid Bleeding procedure should not be too much of a problem compared to Focus ST. There better not be a coolant flush service every 15k miles :(

·
Registered
362 Posts
Coolant flushes are easy I did one on the st at 20 k along with a trans flush it took all of a hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ford with a less than stellar performance in consumer reports this year...

Highlights From Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey - Consumer Reports
It states that it's because of automatic transmissions in some cars. I have owed mostly Fords, and this has always been their weak link. Other than that, it was usually just normal maintainance.
Thankfully for us as RS purchaser's we will be doing our own shifting.
I have also owned several GM products as well and have had issues with them as well. Usually engine and electrical issues.
Also remember, ANY car will only treat you as good as you treat them. If you thrash the hell out of it and don't maintain it accordingly, if will let you down.
I know the RS is marketed as a "Trackable Street Car". But it is still a street car, not a racecar. Every good race team that fields a competitive car still goes through the car after a weekend at the track. Performance cost money.
If you are gonna drive it to the limits all of the time, expect some more maintainance costs
But if you are buying the RS for the enjoyment of a great handling hot hatch with lots of power and all wheel drive as a daily driver or for pleasure. I think you will be happy with your maintainance costs and reliability.
This will be my 3rd Focus and I can't wait for spring to get here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Coolant flushes are easy I did one on the st at 20 k along with a trans flush it took all of a hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easy is relative.....
When you add to the hour, and how many times you have to do it....on top of all the Differentials, tranmission fluids, brake flushes you have to do.....

Vs.

A similar car.....that DOESN'T require 4-5 coolant flushes.....before you hit 60k ...ahem (Golf R)

I would take the easier maintenance one. Time is Money.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I hope they make the transmission in the RS stronger than the ones in the ST.... Lots of people who beat on the ST usually have synchro issues that result in Ford replacing the whole transmission under warranty.

That said, I'm not 100% sold on the RS just yet. It's on the top of my list, but I really want to see some solid reviews and see the car in person before I drop money on it.

I didn't get one of allocated cars, and I'm completely okay with that. If it's as amazing as I think it will be, I'll get one of the retail ones or a 2017 model..... if not, I'll live.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hope they make the transmission in the RS stronger than the ones in the ST.... Lots of people who beat on the ST usually have synchro issues that result in Ford replacing the whole transmission under warranty.

That said, I'm not 100% sold on the RS just yet. It's on the top of my list, but I really want to see some solid reviews and see the car in person before I drop money on it.

I didn't get one of allocated cars, and I'm completely okay with that. If it's as amazing as I think it will be, I'll get one of the retail ones or a 2017 model..... if not, I'll live.
Sounds like there are a lot of ST owners out there that need to learn how to shift and stop beating on their ST.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
As a current ST owner I fully trust the power-train it's just the body stuff that you have issues with.

My list of issues:
1)Mis-aligned hatch causing rubbing on paint
2)Occasional Headlamp fault error message
3)Plastic clips that hold the rear seat bottoms to the frame have broken
4)Plastic piece that hides the screw behind the interior door handle fell out (could have been caused by my car audio guy).
5)Had an electrical debounce issue with the start button, but I haven't noticed it any more. Sometimes when I pressed the start button it would register a double press. It required a very light and rapid press.
6)The front right brake always gets stones caught in it. I think it's actually the caliper, but some might be the heat shield.
7) With about 22K miles on it now I'm starting to hear some squeaks and rattles. It is "just a Focus" after all.

Personally I don't like Ford dealers (or perhaps any dealers?). My list of issues with them lol

1) Dealer #1 refused to put anything other than 3K miles on my oil change sticker, and tried to tell me that I should not use synthetic oil.
2) Told Dealer #2 to change the oil and check the brakes, if the brakes needed to be done then do them. Got a call like 8 hours later telling me that the brakes needed to be done. Like seriously an oil change took 8 hours and you didn't do the brakes?
3) Dealer #2 refused to fix my misaligned hatch until they got warranty approval from Ford. Never called me back.
4) Dealer #1 was the dealer that told me MSRP over the phone then told me 3K ADM an hour later once I wasted my lunch break coming into the dealer.
5) Dealer #3 held my mothers Fusion for an entire day to replace trim pieces as part of TSB only to tell her that they had to order them and it would be another couple days.
6) Dealer #3 got dirt and grease all over the interior of my mother's Fusion.
7) When Dealer #1 sold my mother her Fusion they kept adding Extended Warranty this, Coverage for that, etc. and she kept having to tell them to redo the paperwork. Took her practically all day to buy her car.
8) I told Dealer #1 I wanted to be on the Focus RS list in 12/2014. When I emailed the salesmen a month ago I apparently wasn't even on the list.
9) I'm still waiting to hear from Dealer #1 what price they want for the RS. I gave up and went to a Dealer #4.

In case anyone's interested in places to avoid
Dealer 1: Eldar Ford, Madison Heights
Dealer 2: Suburban Ford, Waterford.
Dealer 3: Szott Ford, Holly.

So yeah I do all my own work on my car now. The more I can avoid the dealership the better. Honestly this is probably part of the reason why I'm so against ADM and just dealerships in general. They seem like a parasite that's only around because dealer lobbies and politicians make sure they are legally required (F you Gov. Snyder). Let me buy my car from Ford at invoice. Let local repair shops do warranty work or better yet pay me to fix it myself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
coming from a speed 3, which is the same motor for the most part, you need to be aware of what happens when you have an egr and no fuel wash down the intake. biggest issue with di motors at this point. many car mfgs have added a secondary injection system to have fuel wash on the intake valves to keep clean. I pull my intake twice a year and soak valves and blast with walnut media to clean. If the transmission is similar to what my mzr is, they are pretty stout. Half shafts handle over 500whp and usually the clutch becomes the weak link. Another major issue with di and the 2.3 mzr motor was hpfp not keeping up with mods and porting blocks. once that issue was resolved in the community, vented blocks were less prevalent. I'm hoping the hpfp is similar to the Mustang with a four lobe cam driven pump. I believe it will be a sticking point with pushing some big hp numbers and those that discover the beauty of e85 and boost. e85 will max out injectors and pumps quickly but timing can be really pushed without detonation and decent hp can be made with good tune. I just hope they use some decent motor/trans/rear end mounts as well.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
coming from a speed 3, which is the same motor for the most part, you need to be aware of what happens when you have an egr and no fuel wash down the intake. biggest issue with di motors at this point. many car mfgs have added a secondary injection system to have fuel wash on the intake valves to keep clean. I pull my intake twice a year and soak valves and blast with walnut media to clean. If the transmission is similar to what my mzr is, they are pretty stout. Half shafts handle over 500whp and usually the clutch becomes the weak link. Another major issue with di and the 2.3 mzr motor was hpfp not keeping up with mods and porting blocks. once that issue was resolved in the community, vented blocks were less prevalent. I'm hoping the hpfp is similar to the Mustang with a four lobe cam driven pump. I believe it will be a sticking point with pushing some big hp numbers and those that discover the beauty of e85 and boost. e85 will max out injectors and pumps quickly but timing can be really pushed without detonation and decent hp can be made with good tune. I just hope they use some decent motor/trans/rear end mounts as well.
Okay you almost got me with "..is the same motor for the most part. .." Pretty funny HA HA

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
520 Posts
As a current ST owner I fully trust the power-train it's just the body stuff that you have issues with.

My list of issues:
1)Mis-aligned hatch causing rubbing on paint
2)Occasional Headlamp fault error message
3)Plastic clips that hold the rear seat bottoms to the frame have broken
4)Plastic piece that hides the screw behind the interior door handle fell out (could have been caused by my car audio guy).
5)Had an electrical debounce issue with the start button, but I haven't noticed it any more. Sometimes when I pressed the start button it would register a double press. It required a very light and rapid press.
6)The front right brake always gets stones caught in it. I think it's actually the caliper, but some might be the heat shield.
7) With about 22K miles on it now I'm starting to hear some squeaks and rattles. It is "just a Focus" after all.

Personally I don't like Ford dealers (or perhaps any dealers?). My list of issues with them lol

1) Dealer #1 refused to put anything other than 3K miles on my oil change sticker, and tried to tell me that I should not use synthetic oil.
2) Told Dealer #2 to change the oil and check the brakes, if the brakes needed to be done then do them. Got a call like 8 hours later telling me that the brakes needed to be done. Like seriously an oil change took 8 hours and you didn't do the brakes?
3) Dealer #2 refused to fix my misaligned hatch until they got warranty approval from Ford. Never called me back.
4) Dealer #1 was the dealer that told me MSRP over the phone then told me 3K ADM an hour later once I wasted my lunch break coming into the dealer.
5) Dealer #3 held my mothers Fusion for an entire day to replace trim pieces as part of TSB only to tell her that they had to order them and it would be another couple days.
6) Dealer #3 got dirt and grease all over the interior of my mother's Fusion.
7) When Dealer #1 sold my mother her Fusion they kept adding Extended Warranty this, Coverage for that, etc. and she kept having to tell them to redo the paperwork. Took her practically all day to buy her car.
8) I told Dealer #1 I wanted to be on the Focus RS list in 12/2014. When I emailed the salesmen a month ago I apparently wasn't even on the list.
9) I'm still waiting to hear from Dealer #1 what price they want for the RS. I gave up and went to a Dealer #4.

In case anyone's interested in places to avoid
Dealer 1: Eldar Ford, Madison Heights
Dealer 2: Suburban Ford, Waterford.
Dealer 3: Szott Ford, Holly.

So yeah I do all my own work on my car now. The more I can avoid the dealership the better. Honestly this is probably part of the reason why I'm so against ADM and just dealerships in general. They seem like a parasite that's only around because dealer lobbies and politicians make sure they are legally required (F you Gov. Snyder). Let me buy my car from Ford at invoice. Let local repair shops do warranty work or better yet pay me to fix it myself.
I agree with everything you said and I hope to see the Tesla sales approach become mainstream and put unreliable dealers out of business like they deserve!

Also, since the RS will be built in Germany we shouldn't see most (if any) of the ST quality control issues like you mentioned.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Okay you almost got me with "..is the same motor for the most part. .." Pretty funny HA HA

YMMV,

MidCow3
Coming from the Mazda community myself, I think what he means is that the early early development was joint with Mazda, so the architecture may be similar. But that was back when Ford was in bed with them. However the Ford 2.3 in the RS has vastly evolved past the MZR DISI engine. Much like we evolved past our tree dwelling cousins.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It sucks to see such ridiculous dealership stories. You should all just drive out to western mass and deal with my dealership lol That stuff sounds ridiculous. Granted our small/medium sized dealership has like the third busiest shop in new england so sometimes it can take longer than expected to look at vehicles. But you could also get the tesla experience from most places if you want to just go in an pay MSRP no haggle, which is exactly what tesla is doing and everyone seems to love it lol For the most part though most people don't know exactly what they want and they need a person who's knowledgeable (agreed most sales consultants are not) to help them pick the right vehicle,options etc..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Coming from the Mazda community myself, I think what he means is that the early early development was joint with Mazda, so the architecture may be similar. But that was back when Ford was in bed with them. However the Ford 2.3 in the RS has vastly evolved past the MZR DISI engine. Much like we evolved past our tree dwelling cousins.
Guess I should have been more specific. I have more fomoco stamped parts on my mzr motor than mazda parts, if that helps with cross platform development. after looking at the 2.3 rs motor on display at the show, the two motors are nearly identical, aside from ford making use of plastic valve cover and intake. Bigger hpfp was noted and a different egr/crank vac system as well, and a slightly larger twin scroll turbo. will have to check out bore and stroke info when I get home on a pc and not my phone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That 2.3 that is on display at the auto shows is from the mustang. What is in the RS is even massaged than that.

·
Registered
43 Posts

YMMV,

MidCow3
what's really crazy is the motor is being built at the same location that the 2.3 disi mzr motor was built. coincidence? me thinks not. yes, there may be some advancement from the mzr, but not much. fueling was the big issue with the hpfp, egr and crankcase pressure that will hopefully be resolved but sorry to tell ya, it's a 2006 design created by japan, not knuckle draggers.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
37 Participants
ILLRSBOOST
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing