Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just putting a quick message out there for anyone looking to get a RS at a slight discount. Still going over details with my dad who has a dealership in Canada but with the dollar the way it is its $8000+ cheaper to get an RS in Canada. I purchased my focus ST in New York and imported it to Canada back when the dollar was at par and save about 4500$ now that it's a 40% i could make some money on the exchange rate and you could save a bit on your new car. I dunno when I'll be able to get my hands on one yet but just wanted to put it out there for everyone near the niagara boarder. I'll keep you guys posted :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
So you're just looking to make money too hidden inside trying to save us money?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
There have got to be import fees as well as different emission laws?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Based on some quick research it looks like you are on the hook for about ~$1,100 in duty fees and you have to have a letter from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle meets safety and emissions standards.

They have some weird math but, here's what I got...

First $400 in value is covered under the normal exemption from bringing anything like alcohol for example into the US.
The next $1000 is taxed at 10% (I also saw 3% somewhere) so $100
then your in for 2.5% of the value of the car so for $40K your talking $1000

The question still remains if you have to pay Ontario's 13% GST/HST which would be another $5,200 (Canadian).

·
Super Moderator
15,360 Posts
Based on some quick research it looks like you are on the hook for about ~$1,100 in duty fees and you have to have a letter from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle meets safety and emissions standards.

They have some weird math but, here's what I got...

First $400 in value is covered under the normal exemption from bringing anything like alcohol for example into the US.
The next $1000 is taxed at 10% (I also saw 3% somewhere) so $100
then your in for 2.5% of the value of the car so for $40K your talking $1000

The question still remains if you have to pay Ontario's 13% GST/HST which would be another $5,200 (Canadian).
Doh!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
OK by my calculations, lol, I think you would stand to save a good bit of cash if you could pull this off.

First, the Canadian version is fully loaded so

Fully loaded US version: $44,270
Canadian equivalent (with tax included): $54,996 (equals $37,947 U.S.)

$37,947 + $1,100 in import fees comes out to $39,047. So depending on how much of a cut from that which the OP takes you stand to save about $5,200 US

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
but will it meet emission local emission laws for some of our greener states?

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK by my calculations, lol, I think you would stand to save a good bit of cash if you could pull this off.

First, the Canadian version is fully loaded so

Fully loaded US version: $44,270
Canadian equivalent (with tax included): $54,996 (equals $37,947 U.S.)

$37,947 + $1,100 in import fees comes out to $39,047. So depending on how much of a cut from that which the OP takes you stand to save about $5,200 US
The problem with this idea as I understand will be taxes. If I'm correct, you would have to pay taxes when you import the car into a state of the US. Like, if I bought the car in Canada for whatever led than paid the import fee, I would wind up having to pay sales tax on the car when I go to register it in my state.

I know that's what happens when you buy and register cars from out of state, I'm pretty sure the same process applies when you buy and register a car from out of country. Having to pay sales tax could wipe out the savings from buying elsewhere depending on what state you live. For example, sales tax in NY is over 8%.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The problem with this idea as I understand will be taxes. If I'm correct, you would have to pay taxes when you import the car into a state of the US. Like, if I bought the car in Canada for whatever led than paid the import fee, I would wind up having to pay sales tax on the car when I go to register it in my state.

I know that's what happens when you buy and register cars from out of state, I'm pretty sure the same process applies when you buy and register a car from out of country. Having to pay sales tax could wipe out the savings from buying elsewhere depending on what state you live. For example, sales tax in NY is over 8%.
Yeah if that's the case then you're only going to end up saving about $2K since you have to pay another $3K in taxes. Then you still have to deal with all the hassle of importing it. meh.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I know being from MA I need to order cars using the california green state emissions instead of the 50 state emissions. Don't ask me what that means or why 50 state really doesn't work for all 50..lol but if we go to locate a car for a customer and bring it in and it does not have the proper emissions it will not pass inspection. I have no idea how canada does there emissions but if you live in a none environmentally friendly state you may be fine either way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah if that's the case then you're only going to end up saving about $2K since you have to pay another $3K in taxes. Then you still have to deal with all the hassle of importing it. meh.
Honestly, I don't think saving a couple grand is really worth all the potential issues of registration, inspection and legality trying to import the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, I don't think saving a couple grand is really worth all the potential issues of registration, inspection and legality trying to import the car.

I've never imported Canada to USA only the other way around so not sure all that is involved I was running the numbers on it and like what was posted early with the exchange rate calculation it's like 5000$+ difference... Warranty is good on my ST that I brought to Canada as well as emissions standards the part I didn't calculate is sales tax but don't you have to pay that price regardless? It might be impossible to find an RS anyways so no worries

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes true, I'll ask my dad what the fees and duty charges are when importing a vehicle from Canada to USA thanks for posting the price difference from usd$ to cad$

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a company called automax in New York State that would take care of any "issues" final sale would be through them

·
Registered
334 Posts
There's a company called automax in New York State that would take care of any "issues" final sale would be through them
Yes, and I'm sure that their services include a weighty fee which would further reduce any of the savings you may have made to a negligible amount with all of the other fees and taxes added on top. What you had is a great idea to save money in theory, but I really don't think it would work quite as well as you think in practice. As an edit, I should add that I don't think it would work well for the Canada to United States import.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recommend contacting a firm that knows the issues and the answers because helping people import cars is what they do for a living. First up from Google was this one: Import Auto to the United States, Import Auto to Canada. No affiliation.

Having used customs brokers in the past, I think that you'll pay well for the service. You can likely get all of your questions answered for free, however.

Regarding state sales taxes, you'll pay those no matter who sells you the car, so they're a wash. In the above example, though, you'll pay taxes on $38K instead of $44K, so that's something at least.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I recommend contacting a firm that knows the issues and the answers because helping people import cars is what they do for a living. First up from Google was this one: Import Auto to the United States, Import Auto to Canada. No affiliation.

Having used customs brokers in the past, I think that you'll pay well for the service. You can likely get all of your questions answered for free, however.

Regarding state sales taxes, you'll pay those no matter who sells you the car, so they're a wash. In the above example, though, you'll pay taxes on $38K instead of $44K, so that's something at least.

Spoke with my dad today and went over the numbers. To start with there's about 8000$ different if I can even find one in Canada to sell in the first place. Import charges at the boarder are 300$ through auto max which I would take care of. We would take a down payment to get the process going and rest upon your receiving the car. And then you show up automax in buffalo NY pick up car pay the sales tax wherever you register it and save about 3000-4000 off and RS2 package. I make a lil profit with pops and you save a little. So if you unable to find an RS at your local dealer in a year or so and want to pay less then local MSRP and I'm able to find one at adesa auction then we might be on to something here ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
Chrisp
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing