Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Damn...:cut/grind + glue is exactly what that looks like. Maybe Mountune got a return and thought everything was good so they shipped it back out for the next sale. Hopefully they will remedy this for you bruv.
Is your shifter off center in neutral as well like mine is in the above pics? Just curious. My OCD won't let me rest until I know this is how it's supposed to be. Haha!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is your shifter off center in neutral as well like mine is in the above pics? Just curious. My OCD won't let me rest until I know this is how it's supposed to be. Haha!
Mine doesn't seem to be off center left to right. At least not that I was able to tell. What I did seem to notice was prior to taking the knob off and discovering this mess, mine almost seemed a little off center front to back. Like the shift into 4th seemed like it was angling the stick pretty far back from neutral, while the shift into 3rd didnt seem to angle it forward very much from neutral (if that makes sense). Now this really was just a feel thing. Could barely tell by looking at it. Just from driving this car for 2 years straight with the stock shifter, then putting this short shifter in for that 1 day of driving, it just felt a little different, but i just chalked that up to the shorter throw being different from what I've been used to for 2 years. And then day 2 of this shifter, I took the knob off and the rest of my attention turned to the threaded rod.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to be off center left to right. At least not that I was able to tell. What I did seem to notice was prior to taking the knob off and discovering this mess, mine almost seemed a little off center front to back. Like the shift into 4th seemed like it was angling the stick pretty far back from neutral, while the shift into 3rd didnt seem to angle it forward very much from neutral (if that makes sense). Now this really was just a feel thing. Could barely tell by looking at it. Just from driving this car for 2 years straight with the stock shifter, then putting this short shifter in for that 1 day of driving, it just felt a little different, but i just chalked that up to the shorter throw being different from what I've been used to for 2 years. And then day 2 of this shifter, I took the knob off and the rest of my attention turned to the threaded rod.
Yeah, it doesn't "feel" like it's off center to the right. I just noticed in the pics I took before and after. But it's just one of those things that once I notice, it bugs me until I know that's how it's supposed to be. ACTUALLY, I believe your assumption is correct in regards to front/back. I took A LOT of pictures when doing this, and since I obviously like to notice every detail, I did make one observation which would confirm your theory. Now, I DO believe this short shifter has been designed to sit at more of a backwards angle. Perhaps to bring it closer to driver since the shifts are shorter. Anyways... onto the pics!

I noticed the front ball joint (metal) piece on the short shifter is actually longer than the stock (plastic) one (confirmed with a ruler). So when installed into the car, would make sense that the stick sits slightly angled backwards. Here's another pic when I was comparing the height of each one. If you look towards the bottom of the pic, you can see the slight difference in length in the ball joint pieces:

I even took before and after install.
Stock shifter:

FP Short shifter:

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Yeah, that ain't right...

If it was a return Item they should have disclosed that, or at least not sell it in full price. They should have inspected, reconditioned and marked as a refurb.

I'm sure they will sort this out for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Looks off kilter to me too. Although “center” of the surrounding boot trim is also not centered with the Sync logo

·
Registered
66 Posts
They took an oem shifter, beefed it up with some metal parts and hacksawed the rod.... $50 mod for a $300 profit.. FRPP merchandising!

·
Registered
516 Posts

Looks off kilter to me too. Although “center” of the surrounding boot trim is also not centered with the Sync logo
Phew! Okay. Looks like yours leans to the right a bit too. I know the assembly itself is not dead center, but was mainly using the logo to compare to the angle of the stock one. Now I can sleep at night. Haha! Thanks!

Reactions: KrismanX

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can you get a height measurement of the threading on FOrd performance one and I can compare it to mine and see if you got someone’s messed up return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
142 Posts
Phew! Okay. Looks like yours leans to the right a bit too. I know the assembly itself is not dead center, but was mainly using the logo to compare to the angle of the stock one. Now I can sleep at night. Haha! Thanks!
Oooh GREAT. Now that I actually looked I’m OCD unsettled deeply within my core..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oooh GREAT. Now that I actually looked I’m OCD unsettled deeply within my core..
Haha! Sorry about that. The aesthetics don't bother me. I was just worried that I potentially messed something up on the install, even though I always triple check everything when reassembling. This is why a 2 hour job like this takes me about 6... Wonder how long it's gonna take me to install my KW DDC coilovers when they come in...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Can you get a height measurement of the threading on FOrd performance one and I can compare it to mine and see if you got someone’s messed up return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Moxboost I took a few pictures of various measurements for comparison.
1st pic is measurement of how far below the spring the threaded rod is. Just a rough measurement since measuring to a non-rigid object. just dropped calipers till they just kissed the spring. about 0.2"
For 2nd and 3rd pic I just lifted out the spring/rubber base.
2nd pic is measurement from the top of that inner plastic ring to the top of the threaded rod. about 1.09"
3rd pic is measurement from the plastic base to the top of the threaded rod. about 1.32"
4th pic in addition to the spring, I also removed the boot so I could expose the whole rod. measurement of threads is about 1.092"

Looking forward to what your measurements are for comparison. Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The first person on this forum who bought a FP short shift had some ****ed up threading too. Someone else had the ball stud break off. Why anyone continues to buy the FP short shift instead of a shift arm is beyond me.

If you don't like the angle of the lockout, you can get a aluminum lockout from Shift Solutions. Kind of a pain to install, but cures OCD.

Stock shift arm has a bend so the knob is centered. None of the short shift arms do, so they all kind of sit to the right. If you want it centered you gotta bend it.

To avoid, ya'll can join the club and get a CAE. 😁

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could try getting a wood dowel that can fit inside the knob loose and cut it to the length that your lacking, looks to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch drop it in the knob screw it down .
as long as it’s snug and doesn’t wobble might work
Happy Trails!
Good common sense, pecoskid!

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
The first person on this forum who bought a FP short shift had some ****ed up threading too. Someone else had the ball stud break off. Why anyone continues to buy the FP short shift instead of a shift arm is beyond me.

If you don't like the angle of the lockout, you can get a aluminum lockout from Shift Solutions. Kind of a pain to install, but cures OCD.

Stock shift arm has a bend so the knob is centered. None of the short shift arms do, so they all kind of sit to the right. If you want it centered you gotta bend it.

To avoid, ya'll can join the club and get a CAE. 😁

The ball stud issue, you are referring to @thomwithah. Ford did not know why it had a countersunk hole either. I think he got it sorted out though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The ball stud issue, you are referring to @thomwithah. Ford did not know why it had a countersunk hole either. I think he got it sorted out though.
Yup. Still, 400 vs 175 for same functionality. No brainier.

The angle which it sat, slightly to the right, kind of bothered me. It made me finally go CAE full time.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts