Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have done some reading and watched a few videos on the valve and how/when it works in normal mode. I have recently had the exhaust bypass mod done so the different operating modes are very distinct.

From what I have read online, when warm, in normal mode at idle (when taking off) the exhaust valve should be closed, I can tell mine is not by the loud raspy note coming out the back when I touch the throttle prior to takeoff.

Has anyone had experience with this or can shed light on what is happening?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

NB: If it matters, car has 30ks on it and is an AU model with stock everything apart from the exhaust mod and air filter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The modes control when and how frequently, not if the valve is in open state. In sport it is open more of the time while in normal in more limited circumstances (definitely when the engine is colder).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have done some reading and watched a few videos on the valve and how/when it works in normal mode. I have recently had the exhaust bypass mod done so the different operating modes are very distinct.

From what I have read online, when warm, in normal mode at idle (when taking off) the exhaust valve should be closed, I can tell mine is not by the loud raspy note coming out the back when I touch the throttle prior to takeoff.

Has anyone had experience with this or can shed light on what is happening?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

NB: If it matters, car has 30ks on it and is an AU model with stock everything apart from the exhaust mod and air filter.

I am pretty sure the modes do not control the frequency of the valve opening/closing.

It should be closed when you are idling for more than 10 seconds, and then when you are on the throttle to move again it will most likely open again. If you are cruising at one speed with minimal throttle / off throttle it will then close again. I have the exhaust bypass as well, but I decided to buy the AWE SwitchPath controller ($200) to give me the ability to control the valve. It is a bit expensive, but it was worth it for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What's the harm in having a dummy plug/deleting the valve? Is there any difference in the performance or sound at all or is it all emissions?

·
Registered
465 Posts
What's the harm in having a dummy plug/deleting the valve? Is there any difference in the performance or sound at all or is it all emissions?
I don't believe there is any harm caused. With a constant open valve or no valve it will be louder more of the time then before so. There is no performance difference from what I've experienced. I hear on startup the valve opens briefly to warm up the catylitic converter more quickly.

My first mod was a valve delete. I was going into winter and didn't want any possibility of it freezing up and causing the drive mode unavailable error.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've done a bit more troubleshooting and have confirmed a few things:
My valve does not close when idling for more than 10 seconds when warm. I have to manually put it in sport mode, then back into standard mode and then *sometimes* the valve will close after about 5 seconds or so but again this is seemingly random. Even after taking it for a 30min drive, the valve just seems to stay open.
I have confirmed when cruising on the highway it does close after a short time by pulling over after driving for a bit and feeling the left exhaust tip (which is cold) vs the right (which is hot).
@inspire - I might pick one of those up, seems to be a challenge finding one in AU though, cheers!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've done a bit more troubleshooting and have confirmed a few things:
My valve does not close when idling for more than 10 seconds when warm. I have to manually put it in sport mode, then back into standard mode and then *sometimes* the valve will close after about 5 seconds or so but again this is seemingly random. Even after taking it for a 30min drive, the valve just seems to stay open.
I have confirmed when cruising on the highway it does close after a short time by pulling over after driving for a bit and feeling the left exhaust tip (which is cold) vs the right (which is hot).
@inspire - I might pick one of those up, seems to be a challenge finding one in AU though, cheers!
It has a lot of conditions to determine when to close / open the valve, but I would not worry about it. As long as the valve can open/close, it is operating.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't believe there is any harm caused. With a constant open valve or no valve it will be louder more of the time then before so. There is no performance difference from what I've experienced. I hear on startup the valve opens briefly to warm up the catylitic converter more quickly.

My first mod was a valve delete. I was going into winter and didn't want any possibility of it freezing up and causing the drive mode unavailable error.
Is the valve what makes the pops and burbles?

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Is the valve what makes the pops and burbles?
Yes in some way.
Unburned fuel is released into exhaust and ignites when valve opens causing a pop or crack sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts