Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this video on Youtube.com
Sorry if it has already been posted. I tried searching to see if it was already posted but did not see it...

Interesting find - some problems with the RS when taken on the track and really pushed hard!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's a 2017? I saw their "Suspension Challenges" video too and they said 2017 with that. I haven't even got my MY16 yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It's a 2017? I saw their "Suspension Challenges" video too and they said 2017 with that. I haven't even got my MY16 yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Funny that with the complaints and all the guy was keeping up with race spec Boxters out there and passing McLarens with I'm sure not so good drivers. Still, the car is impressive regardless of these cooling issues which can be fixed fairly easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All I saw was the info at the start with "30psi cold" and I knew these guys didn't know wtf they're talking about.
Didn't bother watching the rest.

If you don't take factory spec into consideration and complain of understeer, you're an idiot. Period.
It's because after your warm up lap your tires come up to proper temps and pressures. 46 psi is factory because when cold the tires side walls need the extra load support.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
the effects of chosen tire pressures on vehicle dynamics cannot be understated. remember, part of the reason for the 46 psi suggestion was for stability under breaking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All I saw was the info at the start with "30psi cold" and I knew these guys didn't know wtf they're talking about.
Didn't bother watching the rest.

If you don't take factory spec into consideration and complain of understeer, you're an idiot. Period.
30psi cold is probably [email protected] on the track. The car does understeer as it could stand to loose 200lbs of front axle weight. It handles the weight well but I would not call it balanced. Front bias, yes balanced no.

The EvoX feels less front heavy but more tail happy at traction limits. Haven't driven the both back to back at the track yet though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
It was already discussed in the other thread that he was driving and left foot braking, throwing the bespoke AWD into a frenzy making it compete against him.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
30psi cold can easily get i to the 40s hot. Tracking a car with 46psi cold is ludicrous and even Michelin recommends 35psi for track use.

The video didnt look like a ton of understeer. Vorshlag is probably mostly interested in complaining about cars to sell products.
none of these recommended numbers make any sense to me. the rear is 700lbs lighter so track pressures should be around 10 psi less in the rear, so I guess it depends one what you choose to believe

·
Registered
423 Posts
Would not trust this guy to test a Yugo. 30lbs? Understeer? Squalling tires? Any tire pressure buildup was caused by severely underinflated, 300 treadwear tires on the heavy stock rims, rolling over on the sidewalls and flexing like crazy. He's lucky they didn't fail and blow out. The load, as when trail braking into in a corner by the RS on the front tires is enormous, it aint a miata. If you don't have a pyrometer, get some tire crayon and mark your sidewall to check for rollover. Start with high pressures and you can always reduce them till sidewall wear noted. They didn't recommend 46 lbs cold for a fully loaded car for no reason, and braking and turning at speed is harder on a tire than just rolling around with the family and groceries in the back. As far as autocross pressures, 40 second runs? Need sidewall bite, run lower pressures. Not any worries about tire heat buildup is there? Sidewall flex is a major tire killer. Track use, start with higher pressures.

·
Registered
409 Posts
^Yup... start on the higher side than stone cold low.

Personally, based on my track driving habits, I found my sweet spot at 39psi dead cold. I noticed my laps were at least a second faster. I got them to 45'ish psi hot. When I started lower (cold) I noticed a bit more understeer/plowing and lap times were obviously slower.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hot tires only really go up in temp 2-3 psi and that's working them hard.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I get 5-6 PSI hot variance on MPSS on a 3200 lbs car.

Nutts then! Maybe your in a hotter climate and or have a better tire pressure gauge. Most I saw was 3psi in my 510 Datsun (1,845lbs).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
30 Participants
Sabaoth
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing