1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The next installment. Please enjoy!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can't wait to have this thing in the snow. I have a great time in my stang, but you never go full out because of the fear of getting stuck. Now I can go balls out

·
Registered
115 Posts
Might be a dumb question but does anyone know why the head lights flicker or if that can be controlled?
Not a dumb question.

That's actually an artifact of slomo and LED's.

So LED's are never usually always on. They have what's called a "Duty cycle" where they basically turn on and off at a set frequency. The Ratio of how long they're on vs. how long they're off determines how bright we perceive it. In this case the duty cycle was slow enough that the camera was able to catch them turn on and off due to the higher frame rate. When this resulting video was slowed down, the flickering is much more obvious.

This is why when a car with LED taillights drives by at night, you can see "dashes of lights" as they drive past rather than one solid red line.

So to answer your question, they'll probably always flicker, but you will not notice unless it's in slow motion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This makes me very happy.. They note that production starts in about 8 months from their sweden trip, which was just AFTER the Geneva Auto Show (which was beginning of march).. that would mean mid November they start production?? =D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Everyone I've talked to, and the official memo that went out to Ford dealers stated January production.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Everyone I've talked to, and the official memo that went out to Ford dealers stated January production.
Start of production in January would mean the vehicles wouldn't go through the paces and be able to ship until February or March.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the initial production was scheduled to begin in November and with the difficulties they mentioned in this episode pushed them to January?

·
Registered
329 Posts
This was posted quite some time ago, and the Ford people I know (only a couple, nothing crazy), and the dealership I ordered from had seen this document, or had received it.

I'm sure it's still good information.

1240d1442537782-i-just-sat-one-retail-orders-20150916_160140.jpg

-Credit to @jonb347 for stealing his photo :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
That's what my dealer told me as well. Build in January, arrival some time Spring '16 - a loose figure, so I am figuring March-April.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a dumb question.

So LED's are never usually always on. They have what's called a "Duty cycle" where they basically turn on and off at a set frequency. The Ratio of how long they're on vs. how long they're off determines how bright we perceive it. In this case the duty cycle was slow enough that the camera was able to catch them turn on and off due to the higher frame rate. When this resulting video was slowed down, the flickering is much more obvious.

This is why when a car with LED taillights drives by at night, you can see "dashes of lights" as they drive past rather than one solid red line.

So to answer your question, they'll probably always flicker, but you will not notice unless it's in slow motion.
Thanks for the response DFTN! I think what originally made me question this was another video I found on youtube a while back. I rewatched it with what you told me in mind and it looks very much like that. And yet I can't tell if this is in slow mo because of the music. Look at this video from 11 minutes on in. There are a few shots of a SG Focus RS and it looks like the LED's are alternating. Just thinking out loud here. =D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Not a dumb question.

This is a good explanation, but just a couple minor corrections. The LEDs have a duty cycle and a frequency (I'm sure you know this but others don't). So for example I can turn on the LED for 3ms (3/1000th of a second) and turn it off for 1ms. This results in a 75% duty cycle. This frequency would be 250 Hz (250 pulses/second). Depending on ambient lighting most cameras would not see this LED as flickering. If however you reduce the frequency to, for example reduce electrical noise, then you make this more and more visible to both cameras and humans. Imagine the same LED being on for 3 seconds and off for 1 second. The duty cycle is the same but the frequency is significantly lower (0.25Hz). So my point being that frequency is the important factor here.

The reason why engineers do this is to save energy and provide more control over the LEDs output. When you dim a light with something like a traditional dimmer switch you're actually dumping the extra energy that would go to the light as heat and it's wasted. PWM is much more efficient, but it also can be noisy (electro-magnetically) depending how much current is being controlled.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So my point being that frequency is the important factor here.
You're right on the money there. Faster frequency would take care of the flicker you see during filming, to a certain degree.

Winter6 said:
Look at this video from 11 minutes on in. There are a few shots of a SG Focus RS and it looks like the LED's are alternating. Just thinking out loud here. =D
Could be a combination of factors. It could be that the LED's are alternating, or what you see is kinda like what happens when you film a helicopter with a camera, and how the blades look in that resulting video. Because the camera is sampling at a set frequency and the lights are flashing (at a very very high frequency) sometimes when the camera samples it sees the LED on, sometimes it samples and it sees it as off. I could definitely see this as an artifact of that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts