Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've done it once with a buddy of mine on his SW20 rallycross car. The combo of shiny vinyl contoured dash and steep angled windshield is hell when facing the sun. The flocking really cuts on the amount of glare coming off it.

There are tons of DIY videos on youtube. Basically just apply adhesive to all the surfaces, then evenly dust with the flocking material. It's a huge mess to do, so be prepared to be completely covered by the stuff, along with the area you're planning on doing it in.

With regards to longevity, I can't really comment on wear since its a dash and it doesn't get into real contact to anything, but I would mention that it gets dirty fast and there's no good way to clean it. It being a rallyx car, the moment dust hit it, there was no amount of vacuuming or wiping that got it back to that fuzzy black finish.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Much easier way is Alacantara from JPcoachworks in the non backed material. Don't you dare do this before I do. LOL

Reactions: SenderPiggins

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
It's a trip. Saw a Lambo wrapped in it (and of course its purple) at a car show. I can't imagine what it looks like now or how they even detail it...
With an industrial sized lint roller I'm sure.

I'm more curious to know how they removed the dash. Some sticky foam material has been poking out of my passenger side right next to the windshield and I need to push it back it.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
What the Flock?!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much easier way is Alcantara from JPcoachworks in the non backed material. Don't you dare do this before I do. LOL
Well I wasn't going to but now that I know about them... :sneaky: Although, a Google search turned up JPM Coachworks which apparently shut it doors a few years back. Unless you know something I don't, which you usually do.

@BigFatFlip I saw the YouTube videos, looks simple enough. Worst part is the dash and I think I'm going to be taking it out regardless so I can properly run the wiring that the dealer ****ed up.

I was considering it since I'll have the dash out anyway and the glare from the Air 80 tint I did gets pretty gnarly sometimes. I'm just curious because as you said there's no real good way to clean it, so durability wise if I run a vacuum over it, how much nylon fiber am I releasing into the air? Since the dash is not usually a touched area, I imagine the nap won't get squashed anytime soon. I also wonder if it reduces the VOC outgassing.

@320icar That's a great idea I haven't considered. I'll have to plot a wrap, then compare.

@Madokami That's the dash seal that runs the length between your windshield and dash. I have the opposite problem where the dealer forgot to apply one during install so they stuffed it too deep. You can try to use a credit card to push it in or just snip it off with a razor/scalpel. It's only purpose is noise isolation.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well I wasn't going to but now that I know about them... :sneaky: Although, a Google search turned up JPM Coachworks which apparently shut it doors a few years back. Unless you know something I don't, which you usually do.

@BigFatFlip I saw the YouTube videos, looks simple enough. Worst part is the dash and I think I'm going to be taking it out regardless so I can properly run the wiring that the dealer ****ed up.

I was considering it since I'll have the dash out anyway and the glare from the Air 80 tint I did gets pretty gnarly sometimes. I'm just curious because as you said there's no real good way to clean it, so durability wise if I run a vacuum over it, how much nylon fiber am I releasing into the air? Since the dash is not usually a touched area, I imagine the nap won't get squashed anytime soon. I also wonder if it reduces the VOC outgassing.

@320icar That's a great idea I haven't considered. I'll have to plot a wrap, then compare.
Correct, JPM coachworks is no longer around, which is too bad, I had a couple quality pieces from them for my BRZ, although I doubt they would have done a whole dash piece unless you were local to them (if you're in SoCal, check out https://www.instagram.com/sweidit/ He's done a couple of alcantara pieces for me and they were pretty good, but again, not sure about a whole dash).

I wanna mention that right after the dash was done curing, the first thing we did was try to vacuum the excess flocking material off using a standard crevice attachment and that gouged it right off the bat, so we had to switch to a soft brush type attachment. The material doesn't seem to get squashed easily, although he doesn't really rest anything on it other than his detachable steering wheel. Not sure about the VOC out gassing, but you are technically encasing it with the adhesive so maybe? lol

I'm really looking into the suede vinyl now (thanks for the reminder @320icar !) since its an option that doesn't involve ripping the dash out, but I think its gonna be just as much of a pain due to the lack of access.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts