Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
@robertcb I've been searching for part number for the front crash bar for some time now. What's the number you stumbled on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@big jim @GmpaJimj

First we set up a couple reference points on the driver side of the frame. Using levels, straight edges, 90° angles, and some gauge blocks.
We started off by shoving a longer crowbar into the frame and making room for our hydraulic tools.
We got some small 2" hollow hydraulic cylinders and a few smaller hydraulic spreaders.
We basically shoved those into the frame where it needed to be pushed back out, we would also put on a couple small pieces of some flat stock steel to push out a larger area at once, when we had the room to do so.
Once we got the bulk of it to match the driver side, we got a hammer and longer punch set to reach into the inside of the frame so we can punch out any divots that were left.
So in the end,
we pulled the passenger side out to match the driver side.(To our knowledge we assume car frames should be symmetrical)

And now we are where we are. 😀
So I wouldn't say its perfect or factory spec exact, but its close enough to where we believe the front crash bar should fit on nicely.
If anything we should just need minor adjustments.
There are some reference dimension in the workshop manual to help position the frame.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS - Stealth Grey RS2 Rebuilt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@robertcb I've been searching for part number for the front crash bar for some time now. What's the number you stumbled on?
I will gladly help you out.
AM5Z5810852D
Punch this number into eBay, you will find other part numbers that you can also use to search for it on there. I ended looking for the cheapest one.
I believe mine that I purchased was from a 2017 Ford Focus SE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There are some reference dimension in the workshop manual to help position the frame.
Is there really?
I do not believe I have come across a workshop manual yet. I will search the forum for one.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I will gladly help you out.
AM5Z5810852D
Punch this number into eBay, you will find other part numbers that you can also use to search for it on there. I ended looking for the cheapest one.
I believe mine that I purchased was from a 2017 Ford Focus SE.
I guess the SE wont have the front tow hook fitting welded to it...might be worth somehow attaching some kind of tow strap to it while it’s all apart! Unless you think you wont ever use it!

I used mine at ice driving once and was happy it was there!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Would anyone know if an ST headlight is the same thing as an RS headlight?
(Looking for passenger side headlight)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Would anyone know if an ST headlight is the same thing as an RS headlight?
(Looking for passenger side headlight)
Pretty sure they are different, at least over here they are.....?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE
Its been a while. Some of you may have seen me post on the forums asking questions and looking for parts its been a little difficult collecting all the parts on a budget and Im glad I was able to find most of them.
Id like to give a shoutout to all those who shared the WorkShop Manual with me! Couple things from there definitely helped me out!
Now id say I got 95% of the parts in and ready to be installed. Still missing a full front bumper assembly which I know will be tough to find a deal on.
As far as my one missing passenger headlight. I may end up buying a set of aftermarket ones to put on it and sell the driver side.
There's also that one bearing between the transfer case and driveshaft that Im slowly finding my way to getting one however that can be put on dead last so I still have some time for that.

Lets start with a bit of a small backstory before we get to the part where we tig weld the transmission.
My dad decided to take on the project in his machine shop to CNC a custom transmission mount bracket (pics below)
Mig welding I can do, my father can aswell.
However I have Tig welded aluminum once in my life when I was a lot younger just to try. So my experience at that is horrible.
I assumed my father being a machinist has had more experience. But guess what. he didn't. 😅
So after a bit of practice on scrap aluminum. We took turns trying to fix up the busted transmission mounting.
And honestly pretty satisfied with how it came out.
Tell me what you guys think of the tigging job!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I am following this . I have ambitions to buy a wrecked one and do the same for a second RS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am following this . I have ambitions to buy a wrecked one and do the same for a second RS
Just in luck,
I received the last of the parts I needed yesterday.
So tomorrow is when assembly begins on the car!
Shove our custom driveshaft in there;
In with the engine;
and finally hear this amazing car start up by the end of the month!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The mount looks good but the case repair looks horrible.

Ciao

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
UPDATE

Its been a long while so here's an update on the fix.
Engine is in, all wiring ran, all tubing/hoses on tight, all fluids are topped off.
Slowly beginning fitment of the bumper, hood, and headlights. So we can take it to get painted.
But before that we must see if it starts, and the results are what you'd probably expect from a front end crashed car. Not perfect :(
We are missing power to cylinder 3, no connection to the MAP sensor, and no connection to either of the cam position sensors.
The top of the engine wasn't damaged so I don't believe my cam sensors are bad, and cylinder 3's coil and sparkplug are good its just not receiving power.
I never trusted the old wiring harness. In the crash it got crushed in one particular spot that I thought I fixed up. So the fault could very well be there.
So now Im waiting for a new harness to come in to replace it. Currently crossing my fingers that it is not the PCM (Which btw who puts it there right behind the wheel liner, seems like a horrible spot to put it in, like it couldn't fit anywhere else in the engine bay?)

Also upon turning the ignition on in the car the dash showed a couple faults that I am wondering about if anyone else have had issues with.
Fault 1- Drive mode Selection Not available
Fault 2- AWD Off
Dash Light- ABS Off

To be fair the engine is not even running yet. So I can understand if the faults are coming from that. But if not. What could be the issue here?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Those 3 are usually the result of a shi7 battery / low voltage, or an exhaust valve that is playing up / not plugged in .
Been talked about heaps on here.

Reactions: robertcb

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a bit late to the party, but mad respect to you for rebuilding it. And doing it with your father - those memories are priceless. I wish you guys all the best and would also like to see a video of it running.
I have been scratching my itch by browsing copart and there are a few not too hard repairs (newbie saying that, lol i know), but my geographical situation does not allow for shop projects.

Also someone asked how to straighten a frame, and I have seen some videos on YT that are less than scientific but entertaining, and some other ones about resetting a crashed motorcycle frame that are about as scientific as it could get.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
UPDATE

Great news to share!
Engine harness replaced and its up and running.
Not many things beat the feeling of getting the front end crashed car up and running once more.

Gonna go out for a test drive up and down the street tomorrow to get it moving a bit and probably take those ABS sensors and clean them up.
Steering Assist is still not working hoping that the one we got isn't shot.
I will be also trying out all the ideas on the forums here to clear up these faults and get the awd and drive modes back.

Anyway, I shot a quick clip of the engine running, should have more to show tomorrow!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts