Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS - Stealth Grey RS2 Rebuilt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of searching auto auctions.
I've finally gotten my hands on a 2017 Ford Focus RS and I couldn't be happier.
Yes the damage is in a terrible spot but, I'm sure this thing will be just what I've always wanted once we get it back up and running.
InkedIMG_20201214_131849_LI.jpg
IMG_20201214_131843.jpg

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Very best of luck! I have very much enjoyed watching others do this, so please do post your progress on here. Should be a fun project if you have the time, skill and knowhow.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Good luck sir!

How's the title on this?

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Keep us posted, I am happy to see one of our own go back to the roads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the last driver hit a tree dead center with the car. (bunch of wood chips and a branch under the hood as well as in the radiator/condenser)
But engine is pulled! Pretty impressive to see that Ford managed to output 350hp out of a small engine assembly like that.
Got very minor frame damage that can easily be fixed up at home.
But the biggest problem right now is to find the front drive axle bearing without having to buy an entire rear drive axle.
Either way I already got a long parts list 😅
InkedIMG_20201226_153402_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_20201226_153407_LI.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have a great opportunity to build it back together with some upgrades. Looks like all of the air bags went off. I don't imagine those are gonna be cheap. It looks like wou are making great progress, keep on posting updates.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
doing this at home, in your own garage, with your own tools, by yourself....RESPECT

so is this your job field?

how much did you grab it at the auction for? if you don't mind me asking...

any mod plans for the motor/trans/ptu?
Thank you,
I am working towards finishing my engineering degree.
So I wouldn't say its exactly my job field, but working on cars and other machinery has been a big part of my life with my father showing me the ropes of everything he knew.
I still can't weld for the life of me, but I know my way around just about any other tool or machinery out there.
I do not plan to do any major mods to it until I see it running reliably at stock 😅
I plan to post a final cost list once I got the car fully completed ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I finally got the frame straightened out. Waiting for the Front crash bar to come in so I can verify it fits correctly.
I also pulled the transfer case cooler out and what do you know. aluminum tig welding is in my future.
Had some leftover aluminum line from a previous project. So if it goes well I shouldn't need to replace this part.
I probably wont have any further updates until the long list of parts comes in.
All I know is I'm real excited to hear this thing start up!
IMG_20201230_181814.jpg
IMG_20201230_211107.jpg

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Today I finally got the frame straightened out. Waiting for the Front crash bar to come in so I can verify it fits correctly.
I also pulled the transfer case cooler out and what do you know. aluminum tig welding is in my future.
Had some leftover aluminum line from a previous project. So if it goes well I shouldn't need to replace this part.
I probably wont have any further updates until the long list of parts comes in.
All I know is I'm real excited to hear this thing start up! View attachment 348080 View attachment 348081
would you be so kind as to maybe give some details / info how you fixed / straightened the frame?
is it "close enough"? or do you know for sure it's spot on manufactured spec?
i'm in no way doubting your work...just interested in the methodology. thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@big jim @GmpaJimj

First we set up a couple reference points on the driver side of the frame. Using levels, straight edges, 90° angles, and some gauge blocks.
We started off by shoving a longer crowbar into the frame and making room for our hydraulic tools.
We got some small 2" hollow hydraulic cylinders and a few smaller hydraulic spreaders.
We basically shoved those into the frame where it needed to be pushed back out, we would also put on a couple small pieces of some flat stock steel to push out a larger area at once, when we had the room to do so.
Once we got the bulk of it to match the driver side, we got a hammer and longer punch set to reach into the inside of the frame so we can punch out any divots that were left.
So in the end,
we pulled the passenger side out to match the driver side.(To our knowledge we assume car frames should be symmetrical)

And now we are where we are. 😀
So I wouldn't say its perfect or factory spec exact, but its close enough to where we believe the front crash bar should fit on nicely.
If anything we should just need minor adjustments.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts