Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the std fitment EPAS on the RS with the hydraulic setup from the 1.6 Diesel base model Mk3 Focus?

The 2.3 RS engine has the bolt holes to take a belt driven pump, and one was fitted when the engine was used by Mazda.

There is just an idler pully on the RS.

I'm not sure if the rack ratio from the1.6 would work, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this. The reservoir could locate almost anywhere, then it's just a case of finding a way to cancel the error codes from the EPAS no longer being there.

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts

The EPAS in our cars is one of the best on the market. Superior to hydraulic in just about every where, and where it doesn't beat hydraulic it matches it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be clear, I'm not at all interested in a debate regards why/ what for.

If you have done this then please post.

·
Registered
Sept/2016
343 Posts
Yeah I love my electric steering but this is...intriguing to say the least. Our units are expensive to replace and seem somewhat prone to failure.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
To be clear, I'm not at all interested in a debate regards why/ what for.

If you have done this then please post.
No, and it doesn't make sense to. That's why nobody has.

Reactions: 320icar

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know the rate of the EPAS rack?
This is looking more and more to me like it will package. It will then just be a case of cancelling the error codes for the steering weight adjustment between sport/drift/Normal drive mode.

·
Registered
836 Posts
What an interesting idea. Not debating either way, but I am genuinely curious what drives this query: just curiosity, or uniqueness, or something about hydraulic feel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really not here for a debate about EPAS vs hydraulic. I hate EPAS, I think it's 5hite and has no feel. That's it. Can we please just stick to the topic. Please..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does look like a straight forward swap (at least mechanically/ physically). It's going to depend on the rack ratio of the base model TD vs the RS. I imagine that there will be too many turns with the non EPAS item. I'll find out and report back

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I'm really not here for a debate about EPAS vs hydraulic. I hate EPAS, I think it's 5hite and has no feel. That's it. Can we please just stick to the topic. Please..
It’s clear nobody has an answer for you.
I recommend you, just do it. Oh, and take some pictures. This is an interested community...as you can tell.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I dunno. Maybe I’m a peasant but I’ve never ever once gotten into the RS and thought “man this steering is vague and unresponsive, what utter shîte”

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
It's an interesting concept, but I'm glad I didn't have to mount a cooler in front of the radiator to keep the power steering fluid temps down. Good luck though!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's an interesting concept, but I'm glad I didn't have to mount a cooler in front of the radiator to keep the power steering fluid temps down. Good luck though!
Usually this is just a long pipe with a single bend that looks a bit like part of a trombone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dunno. Maybe I’m a peasant but I’ve never ever once gotten into the RS and thought “man this steering is vague and unresponsive, what utter shîte”
I do. Every single time. My father's 2014 Mondeo is infinitely better.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Do it and let us know how it goes. I can't imagine that the parts are expensive in the UK, diesel Foci are everywhere.

I imagine that the computers are going to freak out, especially the AWD system. Start with the easy stuff like unplugging the connector to see what happens. You might get lucky and there is an option in Forscan that will let you tell the computers that the car has a hydraulic steering setup, AND that the steering wheel angle/torque sensor is mounted elsewhere. Or you'll have to set up an adapter to change from the stock plug to whatever is on the hydraulic setup

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
Usually this is just a long pipe with a single bend that looks like a bit like part of a trombone
The SVT Contour had an uprated power steering cooler over the non-SVT model (it had fins on both sides of the u-pipe. But I was still over-heating the ps fluid during autocrosses. I replaced the "trombone" with an Earls oil cooler and didn't have an issue after that.

I was kind of expecting to have to do that with this car too, until I realized it had an electric unit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts