Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the opportunity to see the RS in person at the LA auto show this past weekend. Unfortunately they had it on a rotating pedestal with the doors locked (yes i asked a rep to open them for me, she happily agreed until we found out they were locked and she didn't have access to the keys) Couple things stood out to me. It was blue, wish it was SG.

1) The break calipers are massive. Now i know super cars, and high end sports cars have large rotors and calipers, but compared to my GTI or the Golf R or STI these appeared to be much larger. Very aggressive looking. Not sure how they will work, but just looking at them, they seem like the real deal.

2) the exhaust outlets are surprisingly large. Once again compared to the other cars in the segment. No idea how large the exhaust piping is, but the tips look after market in size.

3) could never see this in any of the pictures and mine didn't capture it, but there is actually a very fine wired honey comb mesh grill the sits in front of the inter-cooler and between the radiator and the front bumper, felt like real metal and not cheap plastic.

4) The front end looks F**king Mean, really the entire car, compared to the ST right next to it, i think they did a great job on the exterior styling.

Couldn't sit in it, but they had a ST3 right next to it that you could. I was surprised at how tight the seats are. I do not consider myself a large person (round) but i am 6'4 with a 32-34 waist. The seats were very tight in the thighs and shoulders. I really hope that they break in after some miles in them. By comparison the Golf R had perfect feeling seats albeit with slightly less bolstering. The STI did nothing for me, by comparison the interior is outdated and cheap. The S3 was nice (i liked the diamond stitched seats the most), but your really just paying a lot of extra for the rings on the grill, and id rather have a hatch.

A little disappointing that the boost gauge on the center of the dash isn't a true pressure gauge, after market ones show vacuum also. This isn't a round gauge, its basically a 1/4 with 0-30PSI reading (won't affect anything functionally but i enjoyed watching the range of motion on my old one from full vacuum to full boost as i laid into it.

Over all i can't wait to get mine. Let me know if there any questions i can try to answer.

PS attended the kings game, come from behind win in overtime made the entire day! Go Kings Go!

EDIT: forgot the photos

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3420.JPG IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3439.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I'm 6'3" 220ish... I have the same full leather Recaros that we'll be getting in the RS, and I fit in them like a glove.

And yes, the RS compared the the 15 and 16 ST looks really aggressive. I never really cared for the "updated styling" of the ST for 15. To me it looks "meh".

·
Registered
89 Posts
The exhaust most likely has 2.5" tubing, with what look like 3.5" or 4" tips. I would be surprised if the exhaust tubing was bigger than that. It wouldn't phase me if they changed the size for North America to meet emissions standards. Even on higher performance cars the tubing usually only goes up to about 2.25" and had 2 cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
The pics on car and driver of the underside show a large bore exhaust pipe all the way from the manifold to the dual exits. Hard to tell from the pictures but the pipe looks to be at least the diameter of the tips.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had great impression about the grill as well. my friend keep saying "No way they will come with metal grill, almost all stock sport car comes with cheap plastic grill!" Went to the Anaheim show , the car was on the floor but the manager didn't allow anyone to get inside the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The pics on car and driver of the underside show a large bore exhaust pipe all the way from the manifold to the dual exits. Hard to tell from the pictures but the pipe looks to be at least the diameter of the tips.....

The undercarriage in this picture shows double walled exhaust tips, which are really there just for looks. The rest of the exhaust is fairly straight except for the massive muffler at the back. As for size of pipe my guess is still 2.5" at the largest, so the size of the tubing is not the same as the tips but big enough for the performance of the car. Also there are two catalytic converters that will create lots of back pressure.

Which is good to know because there will be performance gains with just an exhaust and tune.

·
Registered
520 Posts

The undercarriage in this picture shows double walled exhaust tips, which are really there just for looks. The rest of the exhaust is fairly straight except for the massive muffler at the back. As for size of pipe my guess is still 2.5" at the largest, so the size of the tubing is not the same as the tips but big enough for the performance of the car. Also there are two catalytic converters that will create lots of back pressure.

Which is good to know because there will be performance gains with just an exhaust and tune.

Ahh you're right. Spaced out when I looked at it lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ahh you're right. Spaced out when I looked at it lol.
Yeah it would be ridiculous if Ford put 3" tube for exhausts on the car stock. I do plan on making exhausts for the RS, so I'm happy to see what's under the car right now!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I personally think the exhaust looks bigger than 2.5", definitely not smaller

·
Registered
89 Posts
I personally think the exhaust looks bigger than 2.5", definitely not smaller
I agree that the tubing is a good size for stock, but I would be very surprised if they went bigger than 2.5". I guess we will see when the car is released.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't say this for certainty but I think the exhaust on the CSRT-4 was 3" all the way back. I'm not saying that the RS will have 3" all the way back but it has been done on other cars. I hope it's 3" Less money for a full cat-back ha

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The exhaust tubing looked to be 2.75" to me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm with mofoRS on the exhaust being near 2.75/70mm. Looking at this pic, most suspension bolts are 18mm, check out the bracing, the RDU could either be 13mm maybe 12mm, but doubt it. You can gauge the thickness of pipe by the various bolt heads same distance from camera.

Ford_Focus_RS_179.jpg

About the car having 2 Cats, was that mentioned somewhere, I only expect one up front, right off the turbo and the middle being a resonator of sorts.

Ford_Focus_RS_183.jpg

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
About the car having 2 Cats, was that mentioned somewhere, I only expect one up front and the middle being a resonator of sorts.
I think two would be more common nowadays, although I am not sure about a turbo car.

Jim

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think California requires 2 Cats, not 100 on that though. But also looking at that underside pic of the exhaust, is that a v-band clamp on the downpipe near the front?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Ford used them on the Boss 302 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think California requires 2 Cats, not 100 on that though. But also looking at that underside pic of the exhaust, is that a v-band clamp on the downpipe near the front?
Looks like one to me...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts