Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but have been browsing for awhile. Out in CA it does not seem that MSRP is going to be possible. I have even made some calls to Oregon and Nevada dealerships with the same results. Out of the dozen or so dealers I have talked to ADM seems to either be 5k or 10k depending on the dealer. I talked to one dealer in Portland that was allocated 7, 5 already claimed with deposits (non-refundable) and all at 10k ADM. This seems to be the story up and down the coast...

What are others in this area seeing?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Make a list with each dealer like I did and put if they quoted you ADM or not and then you can have a dealer ADM blacklist for California.

Also, buy a car in another state and have it dropped shipped to your nearest dealer.

New to the forum, but have been browsing for awhile. Out in CA it does not seem that MSRP is going to be possible. I have even made some calls to Oregon and Nevada dealerships with the same results. Out of the dozen or so dealers I have talked to ADM seems to either be 5k or 10k depending on the dealer. I talked to one dealer in Portland that was allocated 7, 5 already claimed with deposits (non-refundable) and all at 10k ADM. This seems to be the story up and down the coast...

What are others in this area seeing?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Fly to Texas , get it at MSRP and drive back .... FREE TRIP .. make sure it meets CA emissions first!
This is important and also is not clear if the out-of-Cal-dealer can (or will want to) select the CA emissions-compliant sticker needed to register a new car in Cal. I checked this out as I was going through the same search, and CA law is set up so that you cannot just bring a brand new car in from another state and title it inside CA without this sticker.

If you go this route, make sure you get a true CA-compliant car as you will be in a tough situation without it.

For ADM in CA, I have seen a minimum of $2990 and a maximum of "It is a bidding war but we expect it will go for over $7000, maybe as high as $10K". Sure, this seems to put you in Mustang GT350 territory until you find out that ADM on those is even higher, and worse yet for the GT350R.

BTW, the $2990 one is now spoken for. Every one in Silicon Valley is going to go for $5K plus from what little the dealers can tell me, and there are waiting lists. With waiting lists these guys are simply calling and saying "$X000 ADM, are you in?", if not they scratch you off and move on to the next guy. When your list has >40 people (one quoted number), they are being quite aggressive.

I checked some smaller towns & cities, and their allocations were 0-1 per dealer and I mostly heard "And it is spoken for". Two different dealerships had cars going to the dealer's son.

Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I forgot about that nonsense, I'd say move if you can.

This is important and also is not clear if the out-of-Cal-dealer can (or will want to) select the CA emissions-compliant sticker needed to register a new car in Cal. I checked this out as I was going through the same search, and CA law is set up so that you cannot just bring a brand new car in from another state and title it inside CA without this sticker.

If you go this route, make sure you get a true CA-compliant car as you will be in a tough situation without it.

For ADM in CA, I have seen a minimum of $2990 and a maximum of "It is a bidding war but we expect it will go for over $7000, maybe as high as $10K". Sure, this seems to put you in Mustang GT350 territory until you find out that ADM on those is even higher, and worse yet for the GT350R.

BTW, the $2990 one is now spoken for. Every one in Silicon Valley is going to go for $5K plus from what little the dealers can tell me, and there are waiting lists. With waiting lists these guys are simply calling and saying "$X000 ADM, are you in?", if not they scratch you off and move on to the next guy. When your list has >40 people (one quoted number), they are being quite aggressive.

I checked some smaller towns & cities, and their allocations were 0-1 per dealer and I mostly heard "And it is spoken for". Two different dealerships had cars going to the dealer's son.

Jim

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My understanding is that there will be no additional emissions parts on the CA car, just that it is certified after state testing. WA, OR and one other state I can't remember also use the same certification standards, but only CA gets their sticker. That's how it was explained to me.

The car should weight the same, unless the sticker is extremely heavy ;)

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jim
Yep, exactly what I have found. I talked to one dealership that said they would be auctioning their allocation once the supply was pretty much non-existent. Several dealerships I talked too had lists 5-10 people long and only expecting a single car, demand is just too high out here and people are more then willing to pay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make a list with each dealer like I did and put if they quoted you ADM or not and then you can have a dealer ADM blacklist for California.

Also, buy a car in another state and have it dropped shipped to your nearest dealer.
Sadly out here it is not a question of ADM or not, but how much your ADM will be. From all the dealers I have talked to it's pretty much 5k, bigger cities its 10k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol, just wait until you can buy it under msrp.
I don't mind stick with my car for a few more years at all.
I personally don't buy dealership bull ****. But if there are ppl who are rich enough to not care about ADM, just let them have it.
Early models aren't desire able anyway.
I bet when I am ready to buy, there will be a few in dealers' parking lot. There will be way more 2017 or 2018 models sitting on the lots waiting for you.
I mean RS is not a GTR or GT 500, and PPl are getting those new for less than msrp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I put down a deposit of $500 on a RS @ Serramonte Ford in the Bay Area last week..

They told me $2k over MSRP.

The way I'm looking at it, I'm paying extra to get one of the first couple off the line. It's an "Impatience tax" and well worth it in my opinion.

I just talked to Sean Mclaughlin over there and they've got 7 or 8 left. I really enjoyed working with him. I mean yea, I would've much rather paid 2k below MSRP but it is what it is. I knew this going in and the markup they had was reasonable in my opinion. Plus Sean was an awesome dude, a HUGE car nut. Showed me a some ST's and walked me through everything he knew about the RS.

If you're in the bay and looking for a deal and don't mind $2k ADM hit up Sean. He's a good dude.

smclaughlin [AT] serramonteford.com

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
So I put down a deposit of $500 on a RS @ Serramonte Ford in the Bay Area last week..

The way I'm looking at it, I'm paying extra to get one of the first couple off the line. It's an "Impatience tax" and well worth it in my opinion.

I just talked to Sean Mclaughlin over there and they've got 7 or 8 left. I really enjoyed working with him. I mean yea, I would've much rather paid 2k below MSRP but it is what it is. I knew this going in and the markup they had was reasonable in my opinion. Plus Sean was an awesome dude, a HUGE car nut. Showed me a some ST's and walked me through everything he knew about the RS.

If you're in the bay and looking for a deal and don't mind $2k ADM hit up Sean. He's a good dude.

That would be a decent deal if it pans out for others. I have seen too many dealers change stories mid-stream, so until I have a piece of paper that explicitly spells out what I'm getting and for how much, I'm a major skeptic. These guys all talk to each other, too. And to be honest, if we were dealers most of us would want to maximize our profits, too.

One thing that strikes me as off on the above - every dealer I have spoken to plus a bunch on this forum have talked about a per-dealer max of 6 cars.

But thanks for posting this - I will call Sean as well.

Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
That would be a decent deal if it pans out for others. I have seen too many dealers change stories mid-stream, so until I have a piece of paper that explicitly spells out what I'm getting and for how much, I'm a major skeptic. These guys all talk to each other, too. And to be honest, if we were dealers most of us would want to maximize our profits, too.

One thing that strikes me as off on the above - every dealer I have spoken to plus a bunch on this forum have talked about a per-dealer max of 6 cars.

Jim
These guys supposedly got a full allocation of 15 cars. Supposedly they were one of the top Fiesta/Focus ST sellers in Norcal which resulted in this allocation. Just passing on what they told me. PM'd you his cell #.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Got it, thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Went to a dealer in SoCal, they asked for at least 4k ADM + dealer anti thief package $2K.
No, turn it down right away. They still want me to email them other deal from other dealers so they might beat it for me.
To be honest, in California, dealers are just too revenue driven, so it is way too hard to avoid ADM here. I think dontfeedthenerd has the fair deal, 2K ADM consider very low for Bay area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Jim
I talked to two dealerships in Portland that Claimed to have 8 and 7 allocations each. Granted you had to pay a 10k ADM if you wanted one. Have also talked to a number of dealerships that got zero, one was even told they might not even get 2017 allocations based on their ST sales.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yeah great deal! I'm working with a dealer now for $1500, but that took a ton of pushing and playing them off of two other dealers. Plenty of money on the coast, plenty of impatient people, not a lot of cars. Just is what it is, you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RBernard, you want to pin a list on the OP for "good deals" we've found? Maybe include links to dealerships and emails, as well as claimed allocation numbers?

So far I think you're $1500 ADM is the best I've seen, with my $2000 next.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just heard from a buddy in Northern California. The dealer near his house gave him back his deposit!!!!! Told him the dealership decided to auction the five allocations. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts