Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I called ford dealer near my home about a month ago and got an email this morning.
Here is the reply

Hello Wayne,

I got the update you can order now. We are only having 4 Focus RS that can be special ordered. The Range for the vehicles will be $ 37,000-43,300 plus 5,000 above the window sticker. If interested please let me know so I can get you to my inventory manager and you have to bring a $1000 deposit.
You can call or text me and Let me know what your thoughts are.
They are very limited! Get yours now! :)

Man 5000 markup? that is more than 10% of the car.
Should I try another dealer or they are all asking 5k markup?
Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Alright, so I called ford dealer near my home about a month ago and got an email this morning.
Here is the reply

Hello Wayne,

I got the update you can order now. We are only having 4 Focus RS that can be special ordered. The Range for the vehicles will be $ 37,000-43,300 plus 5,000 above the window sticker. If interested please let me know so I can get you to my inventory manager and you have to bring a $1000 deposit.
You can call or text me and Let me know what your thoughts are.
They are very limited! Get yours now! :)

Man 5000 markup? that is more than 10% of the car.
Should I try another dealer or they are all asking 5k markup?
Thanks
Don't pay that. find one from a dealer out of state and get it drop shipped.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
In Cali, that looks like the deal. Sure eats up the options menu, but....
Your finding that California dealers are all asking for a $5,000 markup over MSRP is simply NOT CORRECT. My dealer, Auburn Ford near Sacramento, has NEVER charged over MSRP, for ANY car they have ever sold, including the GT350. I got my RS for MSRP from them. Somewhere on the focusrs.org site, or maybe another USA RS enthusiast site, is a graphic bar chart, showing how much everyone is being charged for the RS. Sorry, but I don't know the exact URL.

Anyway, the chart had entries for about 140 RS's sold nationwide, and did NOT reveal what states the customers were in, unfortunately. Working from memory (I saw the chart about two weeks ago), the results were (approximately):

1. About 100 customers had paid MSRP.
2. 1 or 2 people had paid slightly below MSRP (I think one paid $500 below, another -$1,000).
3. About 20-25 had paid a $1,000-3,000 ADM.
4. About 5 had paid a $5,000 ADM to their stealership.
5. 1 had paid a $10,000 overcharge.

So, there are plenty of ungreedy dealers in the USA, you just have to find 'em. Remember that any dealer in the USA can order a "50-state smog-compliance-legal" car for you, if you ask them to. Many, many states now require the same CARB-legal emissions that the California Air Resources Board mandates. So type out a bid request letter, and start copying-and-pasting-and-emailing that form out to dealers in California AND OTHER STATES. The smaller the dealers, the better.

BTW, my Auburn Ford dealer (salesman Nick), only had 2 allocations, and they're now used up, with a waiting list. I put my deposit down last October 10th, for an Oct. 12th order (the first order day in the USA). But keep looking...my dealer had the customer with allocation #2 (I was allocation #1) back out of the deal due to finances, so even at this late date you might find an allocated car.

If anybody out there has bookmarked this chart, PLEASE PM me the URL!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd like to see the relationship of people whom "paid" MSRP but are still in the Unscheduled list.. also like to see how many get shafted on their MSRP deals, if our cars do show up.

(I am paying 2.5k over, but I think its worth it; call it the whiny, gotta have it now, don't touch anything when it arrives tax. :D)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah I love how people don't say, "Dont pay a cent over msrp!" I called every dealer within hours of me and finally found one asking one k over and got it. Of all the dealers I called I said call me back if you wanna make a betree deal. Not ONE dealer called me back with a better offer. Think I had one call back with the same offer.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah I love how people don't say, "Dont pay a cent over msrp!" I called every dealer within hours of me and finally found one asking one k over and got it. Of all the dealers I called I said call me back if you wanna make a betree deal. Not ONE dealer called me back with a better offer. Think I had one call back with the same offer.
I had to contact about 6 different dealers before one had an idea of what I was talking about and agreed to MSRP out the door. Some had no idea what the RS was - others were talking ADM but had no idea how much it would be. I just kept calling and telling them I'm willing to pay MSRP out the door until one knew what the RS was and listened to my offer. I visited one Ford dealer after calling, to discuss the RS in more detail...which it came to light that I knew more about the car than they did - and that's the one who mentioned an ADM but didn't know what it would be. They tried to say it was standard practice on all Ford Performance vehicles. I told him good luck with that, i'll take my business elsewhere & I did. It probably didn't hurt that I was already pre-approved for a 80+k loan at a low interest rate at the time (I was pondering buying an Audi or Mercedes at the time), to help convince the last Ford dealer that I was serious about buying a RS.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd like to see the relationship of people whom "paid" MSRP but are still in the Unscheduled list.. also like to see how many get shafted on their MSRP deals, if our cars do show up.

(I am paying 2.5k over, but I think its worth it; call it the whiny, gotta have it now, don't touch anything when it arrives tax. :D)
I paid MSRP and am Unselected but my order was placed just after the Ides of February and there hasn't yet been a selection day since it was put in. Are you questioning how many dealers offered MSRP and then turned around and offered their allocation to the highest bidder?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would not pay a cent over MSRP. I started shopping for the RS early, December 2014 - January 2015. Almost all dealers had no clue. Long story short, time passed, I secured an allocation at 2 dealers both at MSRP, one just as a back up as the allocation method was murky at the time. Other dealers were willing to do MSRP as well.

Not sure when you started your hunt, but early bird surely does catch the worm.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If nobody was willing to pay over MSRP we would all be getting them at MSRP.
Maybe, or...
Maybe a bunch of people who aren't aware of what the RS is but have a bunch of money burning in their pocket go to a ford dealer looking for a focus and just end up buying the top of the range RS because they have to have the best one and the dealer still charges them ADM touting its exclusivity.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I paid MSRP and am Unselected but my order was placed just after the Ides of February and there hasn't yet been a selection day since it was put in. Are you questioning how many dealers offered MSRP and then turned around and offered their allocation to the highest bidder?
Or in contrast, they weren't sure if they had an allocation and offered up the MSRP deal thinking they could get one. A little ADM mostly guarantees that you will get a car. Not to say some of the people whom are asking for 5K+ ADM aren't bat**** crazy, but theres definately an allocation behind those.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would not pay a cent over MSRP. I started shopping for the RS early, December 2014 - January 2015. Almost all dealers had no clue. Long story short, time passed, I secured an allocation at 2 dealers both at MSRP, one just as a back up as the allocation method was murky at the time. Other dealers were willing to do MSRP as well.

Not sure when you started your hunt, but early bird surely does catch the worm.
If you were on your game with getting an allocation I am sure it would have been easier. I was assuming there would have been a big announcementabout the allocations and there never was. I was not a member here so I didn't start looking until late December 2015 and found the allocation in January of 16. In fact I had ADM going up at several dealers. Called back to a few to find it went from oh we sold allocation at msrp a while ago to yeah we have another allocation and we want 12k adm... I called a lot of dealers but by the time I knew about it the dealers all Kew they could charge out the ass and someone would pay it.

So I believe that are plenty of people who will get theirs for msrp but also a lot of people who will have to pay some form of adm. It's just a matter of how bad do you want the car... for me its been a couple years of me driving a boring civic DD that os starting to show its age so I am unwilling to wait another 6 plus months on a 17 to maybe save 1k and get it at msrp.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Or in contrast, they weren't sure if they had an allocation and offered up the MSRP deal thinking they could get one. A little ADM mostly guarantees that you will get a car. Not to say some of the people whom are asking for 5K+ ADM aren't bat**** crazy, but theres definately an allocation behind those.
I doubt there are dealers purposefully taking orders knowing that they can't get a car. There's zero incentive for them to do so. If the car doesn't show up, they give the deposit back and burn a customer + all of their friends/family for life.

For a car that will be "built for demand" in 6 months, I think its stupid to pay an ADM. I would have just waited if I didn't find a MSRP deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
cosmic charlie
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing