Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed as of the last week or so that the rs is starting to feel like I have to give it more gas to even move in normal/sport mode. I have done anything crazy, just daily driving, ordered new spark plugs from Tune + pre gapped. Haven't checked my stock plugs either, I'm running an ots tune 94 stage 1. Also, I'm not sure if it's my axles or wheel bearing but the feel/sound is even between both passenger and driver side, sound is related to wheel rotation and speeds/slows (low tone "wubb" noise, can't really describe it, can only feel it in the cabin while driving.) Any thoughts?, I was wanting to bring it to the dealer but they're a waste of my time and I don't want someone touching my car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
total guess on my part but could the rear brakes be hanging up giving you the speed variation plus the odd noise - good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your OAR? Is there a possibility of you putting in bad gas? Mods other than tune?
OAR is always -1.00, I monitor that always. I've been doing some research and all I can see is pads rubbing or wheel bearing. not too sure.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Take it around some turns and see if the noise changes. It will get louder on the outside wheel if that bearing is failing.

Also try cruising until you hear the noise, then drop in neutral and roll. Does the noise go away or die down with engine RPM?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Funny, I was thinking the same thing as of last week. I floored it in 2nd, and it just felt wrong. Rpm didn’t skyrocket like a slipping clutch, and there wasn’t any hesitation on throttle. But I wasn’t thrown back into the seat like a tuned bolted on RS usually does. It’s something only I could notice because I drive the car everyday.

OAR at -1.00, boost holds 24.75psi to redline in 4th. But something just feel......off

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny, I was thinking the same thing as of last week. I floored it in 2nd, and it just felt wrong. Rpm didn’t skyrocket like a slipping clutch, and there wasn’t any hesitation on throttle. But I wasn’t thrown back into the seat like a tuned bolted on RS usually does. It’s something only I could notice because I drive the car everyday.

OAR at -1.00, boost holds 24.75psi to redline in 4th. But something just feel......off
This is exactly how I feel right now, I have no idea what's going on or if I'm just being skeptical.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take it around some turns and see if the noise changes. It will get louder on the outside wheel if that bearing is failing.

Also try cruising until you hear the noise, then drop in neutral and roll. Does the noise go away or die down with engine RPM?
I'll give that a go, I was thinking of ways to determine wheel bearing but so far everything is hinting away from them. I'll keep it posted with updates.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'll give that a go, I was thinking of ways to determine wheel bearing but so far everything is hinting away from them. I'll keep it posted with updates.
Yup, these are just simple diagnostics to try and narrow down where to look. Second one should rule out anything engine related. If it's not either of those it might be the PTU. When I had a front axle go bad on my 06 STI, it was a random clunking noise that you could feel.

Also, have you tried rotating your tires? It's possible one of the weights fell off and the wub your feeling is vibration from that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, these are just simple diagnostics to try and narrow down where to look. Second one should rule out anything engine related. If it's not either of those it might be the PTU. When I had a front axle go bad on my 06 STI, it was a random clunking noise that you could feel.

Also, have you tried rotating your tires? It's possible one of the weights fell off and the wub your feeling is vibration from that.
So I cruised around and it's still even across the front end. Even in neutral in 3rd/2nd it's the worst, low end wobble noise. I inspected the wheels and one of the weights are missing but it wouldn't throw them off that bad and evenly. I'm going to do a tire rotation tomorrow and see if that does anything. Also note, I drove it onto a shoulder of a road where grass is and the noise went away instantly so I'm stumped. Temps have been in the high 8's C (I'm Canadian) and tire pressure is at 46psi

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a tire rotation and it helped a little bit but still present, going to put it on Jack's tomorrow and inspect everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so after some more driving paying close attention and inspecting wheels, tires, pads, rotors, etc. I'm certain that it's either the wheel bearings or CV axles, I'm going to drive my friends RS to compare and see what's up before I bring it in to Ford.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in Canada and wish I could find 94 somewhere!

My Stratified tune is for 91, I fill up with Chevron 94 (it's not 94)

How many kms?
Just hit 36k's, never winter driven. I'm still baffled at to what the issue is and it's driving me insane. It feels like whatever it is that it's restricting the car, as if someones grabbing onto the wheels to stop them from spinning.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm in Canada and wish I could find 94 somewhere!

My Stratified tune is for 91, I fill up with Chevron 94 (it's not 94)

How many kms?
Yeah in Richmond I had the same issue. Datalog with two tunes 91/94 and chevron 94 sucks noodles. Ended up taking it off entirely and sticking to 91

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not only that, I'm getting a "tick" noise when I come to stops or accelerate, weird things happening

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I had the car up for a bit and I moved the passenger wheel forward and backwards, each time I did it made a loud ticking sound where the axle meets the transmission. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: All new brakes front/rear and noise still present/feels sluggish. I was doing some research and would a bad O2 sensor be causing the fuss? After I installed my catless dp I've been getting the cel for the O2 sensor ofc but it hasn't been an issue. I'm just trying to go through reasonable explanations to help diagnose wtf is going on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts