Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know how to describe this and don’t know whether it’s always been there and I just noticed it, but when I’m in first and easing the clutch pedal to start from a stand still, just before the engagement I feel something in the pedal that I can only describe as a very subtle grinding? I haven’t noticed if there’s any sound associated with it.

What could this be and should I be worried?

I try not to beat on the car but I have been using drift mode more in parking lots since the weather has gotten nicer and I usually just do 1st gear donuts since there’s not enough space to do 2nd gear slides. Other than that hooniganism I don’t go hard on the car in lower gears (i.e. no clutch dumps or launches.)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don’t know how to describe this and don’t know whether it’s always been there and I just noticed it, but when I’m in first and easing the clutch pedal to start from a stand still, just before the engagement I feel something in the pedal that I can only describe as a very subtle grinding? I haven’t noticed if there’s any sound associated with it.

I try not to beat on the car but I have been using drift mode more in parking lots since the weather has gotten nicer and I usually just do 1st gear donuts since there’s not enough space to do 2nd gear slides. Other than that hooniganism I don’t go hard on the car in lower gears (i.e. no clutch dumps or launches.)
It sounds like it is slight clutch chatter,

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket RMM?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Replace the clutch return spring? With the steeda spring, mine does that sometimes even with the car off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the car completely stock? Mileage?
Bone stock outside of RCC and Mountune breather plate.

Do you have an aftermarket RMM?
Nope.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Is this all the time?

Just on 1st gear?

When you said strange vibration, it reminded me of this:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it happens in reverse as well. The feeling gets worse if I give it gas as I am leading the clutch out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check your engine mounts thoroughly same issue and it’s the lower dog bone and trans mount going. Not saying it’s your as well, but I have a hunch since this all sounds exactly like mine last month.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Check your engine mounts thoroughly same issue and it’s the lower dog bone and trans mount going. Not saying it’s your as well, but I have a hunch since this all sounds exactly like mine last month.
With 15k miles? Also, I only feel it in the clutch pedal and not throughout the entire car which is what I would expect with a mount issue?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do I tell the dealership to get them to check what needs to be checked?

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
If your car is still under warranty and you car is stock, tell them the symptoms.

I would check it visually first to avoid going to the dealership if its no neccesary.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did some more troubleshooting and I noticed that I can’t really feel the “grinding” when the car has warmed up. So does that suggest something to do with the trans fluid?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Try adjusting the shifter cables, and if that doesn't fix it, take it in and let us know what the dealer says. People have had issues with slave cylinders failing and transmission fluid leaks, maybe you're experiencing one of those issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts