Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With prices for used cars higher than before the pandemic, I wanted to check in and see what a fair price for a used RS would be like. I'm looking at a stock 2016 with RS2, forged wheels, no moonroof, 30k miles/3-owner for $32k, head gasket recall complete. Comes with a dealer warranty as well. Finding this particular spec (especially RS2/no moonroof) was difficult so I think it's fair but curious to see what the community thinks. The moonroof delete is especially important to me and I'd be okay with the price, just wanted to see if it was reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
That doesn’t cause a cringe for me. Some may not like the three owners, but being stock takes concern away IMO. This car isn’t for everyone. 3 non faithful tried it...
I think price is somewhat location dependent.
The big thing is, you seem to have found one that checks the major boxes, for you.
For that reason I wouldn’t quibble over, let’s say, a $2000 range difference.
They aren’t getting more abundant. It’s the most fun car I’ve ever owned.
(prepare for quite a conversation) Good Luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
A cellared well taken care of single owner low mileage will easily get 35K which is what it nearly sold for. It will only go up. Unless you break the magic barrier of 100K miles then value is going to hold. Why you ask, well too many people like me will never sell it, no matter what. So as the days go on fewer and fewer will exist. Love this stupid thing. Happy hunting. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think that a 3 owner RS that's stock (if it's truly been stock it's entire life) is something to worry about. $32k for 30k on the ODO isn't bad.
My first RS had 46k on the chassis with about 6-7k on a new long block after a botched HG repair. My second and current RS was $33.9k with 18k on the ODO.

@mirra - check your PM's.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I don't think that a 3 owner RS that's stock (if it's truly been stock it's entire life) is something to worry about. $32k for 30k on the ODO isn't bad.
My first RS had 46k on the chassis with about 6-7k on a new long block after a botched HG repair. My second and current RS was $33.9k with 18k on the ODO.

@mirra - check your PM's.
That's the real question to my mind. I'd go over that car with a fine tooth comb & look for anything at all that could indicate that it was modded. Is the car at a dealer or is it private?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's the real question to my mind. I'd go over that car with a fine tooth comb & look for anything at all that could indicate that it was modded. Is the car at a dealer or is it private?
That's something for @mirra. hahaha...

My first one was previously owned by a Ford engineer that took meticulous notes on the car. He gave me the journal with all service done with dates and mileage. Also gave me all the receipts for anything he did. Second one was basically the same way. Receipts for work done. Both had clear Ford dealer portal reports and Carfax reports. I had my current one inspected by a shop local to the seller since I bought it sight unseen from Reno (I'm in Dearborn MI).

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Sorry, I should have structured that paragraph a bit better. I really meant that question to be directed at them. :) Not the first time quoting someone gets me in trouble & not likely to be the last lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, I should have structured that paragraph a bit better. I really meant that question to be directed at them. :) Not the first time quoting someone gets me in trouble & not likely to be the last lol.
HAHAHA...no worries. I knew who you were referring to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. Following up on some of the questions here, it's at a dealer - they're offering a drivetrain warranty and I'm also looking at the Great White Buffalo extended warranties. Like @mykrrrr I'm not a local buyer so I'll be having a local shop do a pre-purchase inspection.

Being picky about the car means I don't get many opportunities for the one I want. In one of my other posts on this site I listed my wants and I just let another one that was the right fit slip away (the seller is also on this forum and sold it a few posts before mine - we were in contact but I got beat to it). By now I just really want to have one of these and enjoy it, since as time goes on finding one with low mileage is just going to get harder and harder.

I did have a video call with the salesman and he walked me through the car. From what I could see, it looks stock - only changes from the factory are a clear bra, tint, yellow fog light film, and the Focus badge removed. The last two could be red flags but to find an RS that checks all the boxes is getting really tough. The only other one I could find in the country was openly modded and the owner told me was tracked. It was also more expensive than this one.

Again thank you to everyone for chiming in. Everyone I've met in the RS community has been super friendly and welcoming and hopefully I can join it soon!

@mykrrrr - replied

·
Registered
262 Posts
Random related question, how much do you guys think being in an accident (and then repaired right) would effect the value of an RS?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I did have a video call with the salesman and he walked me through the car. From what I could see, it looks stock - only changes from the factory are a clear bra, tint, yellow fog light film, and the Focus badge removed. The last two could be red flags but to find an RS that checks all the boxes is getting really tough. The only other one I could find in the country was openly modded and the owner told me was tracked. It was also more expensive than this one.
for me...the focus badge being removed gives me a funny feeling:unsure:
could be nothing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why is removing the Focus emblem telling? From my F250...only “mod” I did to that truck. My Focus emblem is off too. Wax catchers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Random related question, how much do you guys think being in an accident (and then repaired right) would effect the value of an RS?
Honestly, it depends on the kind of damage and who did the repairs.
My first one was in a accident (due to my stupidity) and I thought it wasn't as bad as it turned out to be. I had it taken to a good shop that is used to dealing with performance cars do the repair estimate and he walked me through all the damage and said that since the RS is meant to be driven hard, my old RS would have never been the same. They went as far as cutting open the rear quarter panel behind the rear door. It exposed some damage that wouldn't have been spotted from the outside. Some spot welds nearly separated from the inner wheel arch and inner panel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
for me...the focus badge being removed gives me a funny feeling:unsure:
could be nothing.
I agree with @floridars , badges being removed aren't as big a deal as a missing under tray, engine cover or witness marks on bolts for "normal" mods.

@mirra - Good luck finding the right one. I think it's well worth it. This is one car that I don't really ever want to sell. I think it'll be a future collectable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Honestly, it depends on the kind of damage and who did the repairs.
My first one was in a accident (due to my stupidity) and I thought it wasn't as bad as it turned out to be. I had it taken to a good shop that is used to dealing with performance cars do the repair estimate and he walked me through all the damage and said that since the RS is meant to be driven hard, my old RS would have never been the same. They went as far as cutting open the rear quarter panel behind the rear door. It exposed some damage that wouldn't have been spotted from the outside. Some spot welds nearly separated from the inner wheel arch and inner panel.
Ouch, sounds like your car took a hard hit into something. Obviously I threw out the question since my RS was hit by a total dumbass who fell asleep at the wheel. Happened when it was basically a month old...It was annoying as hell. The body shop did a great job and had the equipment to make sure everything was straight and in spec again (the B pillar was pushed in a tiny bit).

I agree with most posters that the car the OP is looking at is pretty fairly priced going by what I've seen when I research RS values every 6 months or so. The values have held remarkably strong. Mine is a 2017 RS1, nitrous blue, never modified with just over 10k miles on it. I would figure it could get $30-32k if it wasn't for the accident. But with the accident I'm thinking something like $25-27k is probably what it would get. Who knows though. Just a topic I've been pondering lately as I start to get a little tired of the RS and consider a future upgrade.

Figured I'd throw my question out there as it could be an interesting data point for people looking to buy one of these.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. Following up on some of the questions here, it's at a dealer - they're offering a drivetrain warranty and I'm also looking at the Great White Buffalo extended warranties. Like @mykrrrr I'm not a local buyer so I'll be having a local shop do a pre-purchase inspection.

Being picky about the car means I don't get many opportunities for the one I want. In one of my other posts on this site I listed my wants and I just let another one that was the right fit slip away (the seller is also on this forum and sold it a few posts before mine - we were in contact but I got beat to it). By now I just really want to have one of these and enjoy it, since as time goes on finding one with low mileage is just going to get harder and harder.

Again thank you to everyone for chiming in. Everyone I've met in the RS community has been super friendly and welcoming and hopefully I can join it soon!

@mykrrrr - replied
Good luck finding the right one, be patient and ask around. Even make some calls to dealers, some might have on hold some new ones. Or some members here might. I was debating buying a slightly used one but in the end i found a new one. Again, depending on what you want and your budget but don’t settle for less ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should also add, it's been almost a year since I started looking for one. At the beginning I was pickier, didn't want to travel to pick it up, stricter on price, etc. Finding one in FW was already harder, then with the moonroof situation and so on...

Before this I had basically given up and said I was just going to get a Type R - I figured if I couldn't get the exact RS I wanted I might as well get the exact Type R I wanted. The other thing I am trying to avoid is being stuck waiting forever. I saw in other threads a member here having a tough time finding the "perfect" car for him, always finding one thing wrong with whichever car he saw, and was thinking that could've been me. Honestly this one might be the one, 3 owners and all - the alternative is waiting indefinitely for another one to pop up.

@dskeet I was surprised by how well the resale was. Granted since they're no longer made that adds to it but I think the halo hot hatch market is just sky high at the moment. 2019 Type Rs are going for more than retail on brand new 2021s, and don't even try to find a price for a 2021.

@vstrs For sure. The last month I've basically checked all the major car shopping sites a few times a day, email notifications for new/updated listings, and Facebook marketplace across the entire country. I'd like FW so doubt I'll find a new one on lots anywhere, and for the ones that are out there, mileage and mods are only going to go up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also on the topic of trying to figure out owner history, what exactly can one do when buying a used car past seeing if it's stock? If it's a private seller then you could talk to them but if it's at a dealer? Or there are multiple owners?

One could always revert back to stock parts and you'd have no way of actually knowing if a car was tracked. I'd be interested to hear any tips/tricks members here have for doing due diligence on a used performance car, especially one more likely to be modded/tracked like the RS.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Also on the topic of trying to figure out owner history, what exactly can one do when buying a used car past seeing if it's stock? If it's a private seller then you could talk to them but if it's at a dealer? Or there are multiple owners?

One could always revert back to stock parts and you'd have no way of actually knowing if a car was tracked. I'd be interested to hear any tips/tricks members here have for doing due diligence on a used performance car, especially one more likely to be modded/tracked like the RS.
The first thing to look for is stock plastic clips holding hoses, tubes or wire looms. There’s an ongoing discussion about this very thing. My car is mechanically stock, but has “jewelry” under the hood. It’s very hard to do anything and not break stock holders or have to rig a piece into fitting.
Witness marks (previously mentioned) on nuts, bolts or screws that wouldn’t normally be touched for service.
You mentioned a mechanic‘s inspection. They can spot things like grime not being where it should be. Marks on painted surfaces, etc.
Just a couple to consider.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with @floridars , badges being removed aren't as big a deal as a missing under tray, engine cover or witness marks on bolts for "normal" mods.
I removed my "Focus" badge, but it's in the glovebox if I ever sold the car and the buyer wanted it. I think the rear hatch looks cleaner and classier with just the "RS" logo. Is the concern about the missing badge that there might have been crash damage and that's why it's missing? Or is it just that the car isn't as "stock" with the Focus badge missing?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts