Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else looking forward to changing up the rather large factory spoiler? I'm a previous Neon SRT4 owner and one of the first things on the checklist for that vehicle was to remove the over-sized and mostly useless factory spoiler as well.

The spoiler on the prototype during the initial German RS reveal was a little more subtle. What are your thoughts?

KB spoiler.jpg

Cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll be leaving mine as it was built, being Ford designed it and the splitter to work together for a claimed "zero lift". Plus, it is largely what sets it apart as an RS. I will however look into filling the RS insignia with NB decals or have it air brushed in time.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I've never been a big fan of huge spoilers like on the SRT-4 or STi but I love the spoiler on the RS. I also love the RS engraving. I don't think it's oversized at all and not "useless" like the SRT-4 was. Also love the fact that the center is black. It will look great on my FW RS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I'm starting to feel like the odd man out. Is anyone going to remove or change the spoiler's appearance?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would never even consider removing the wing. For a vehicle that incorporated the wing for a functional purpose I cant see why anyone would want to ruin the perfect aerodynamics. But then again how many STI's are out there dropped and bagged...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Think it would be foolish to remove the cars RS specific features

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The spoiler is functional, part of the design to keep it "Zero Lift". Remove it and you will likely negatively impact the high speed handling of the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My personal driving habits will mean that this car spends 95+% of it's life going normal traffic speeds (I'd imagine most RSs will too). I think the benefit of having a spoiler will essentially never really exist for me except for a few track days at Harris Hill Raceway and Circuit of the Americas. I'd rather have a unique look and a more subtle one at that. I was just surprised that nobody else feels that way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong with your idea. I'd love to see what you come up in toning it down a bit. You could totally surprise some unsuspecting folks with a sleeper RS. Be sure to follow up later and post pictures of what you decide to do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll personally be leaving mine alone, but an ST or any regular Focus spoiler should bolt right on.

But If you were to take it to track days though, it will upset the downforce balance at speed and cause the rear end to be unstable. It may even be unstable on a fast highway ramp too, so I would use caution.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Since it'll be out of your sight when driving (unlike an sti) ill leave mine alone :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry, but I don't get it either. Mine is going to remain unmodified for at least the first full year. After I've had the time to fully understand the car in all my DD environments (and hopefully a couple of auto-x or track days), then I might consider making changes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This guy just made my whole day. He outlines my thoughts exactly. Even with cup tires and driving 100+mph, the true performance benefit of a production car's spoiler is essentially non-existent. This really gets back to the heart of my original post (and maybe I should have stated it more clearly).... Does anyone think the car would look better without a spoiler or a more subtle one?

Please give this a watch, the math is actually accurate which is rare for a youtube video.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My personal driving habits will mean that this car spends 95+% of it's life going normal traffic speeds (I'd imagine most RSs will too). I think the benefit of having a spoiler will essentially never really exist for me except for a few track days at Harris Hill Raceway and Circuit of the Americas. I'd rather have a unique look and a more subtle one at that. I was just surprised that nobody else feels that way.
Track days, it will come into play. I hit 130 on the back and front strait at Watkins Glen in my ST. I think that 100 mph is when it's going to come into play and as you note, day to day, it's not anything more than a tell that you are driving a RS but on those track days...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This guy just made my whole day. He outlines my thoughts exactly. Even with cup tires and driving 100+mph, the true performance benefit of a production car's spoiler is essentially non-existent. This really gets back to the heart of my original post (and maybe I should have stated it more clearly).... Does anyone think the car would look better without a spoiler or a more subtle one?

Please give this a watch, the math is actually accurate which is rare for a youtube video.
Although I agree with his math, what does the XX lbs (whatever downforce the RS' wing generates) of lift feel like at 100 mph?

The RS' wing, diffuser, splitter, and a few other bits were all designed to produce zero lift at 155 mph. So there is no net downforce, but there is quantifiable downforce counteracting the lift being generated. [I think...tbh I'm not an aerodynamics engineer]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Zero loft is huge on a production car. Ask any s2000 owner/x owner. There's a reason every track s2k runs a big rear spoiler.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts