Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a borla exhaust on my RS, will this void my warranty? Has anyone done this

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
wrong section and this has been beaten like a dead horse. search young padewon

·
Premium Member
943 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, it will void your warranty. Any aftermarket exhaust will. You can find a lot of good stuff on exhaust here.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-focus-rs-performance/3563-aftermarket-exhaust-options-videos.html

I have the Scorpion exhaust with the valve and black tips. Love it!
This is completely wrong, an after market exhaust will not void your warranty, here is a direct quote for Borla's website

"Q. Will it void my factory warranty?
NO. Some cars even have BORLA® systems as the OEM exhaust. All of our street Cat-Back™s™, Rear Sections and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.

If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. "

https://www.borla.com/support/faqs/

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is completely wrong, an after market exhaust will not void your warranty, here is a direct quote for Borla's website

"Q. Will it void my factory warranty?
NO. Some cars even have BORLA® systems as the OEM exhaust. All of our street Cat-Back™s™, Rear Sections and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.

If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. "

https://www.borla.com/support/faqs/
It's not completely wrong.

Anything that has function or performance reasonably altered by the catback is fair game for a potential warranty claim denial. Catback exhausts are fairly safe mods to install, but they aren't 100% worry-free.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I wish the best of luck to any dealership trying to avoid the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by claiming an exhaust caused a mechanical, electrical or structural failure.

This argument/discussion has been on just about every car forum since the days of dial-up and AOL.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I wish the best of luck to any dealership trying to avoid the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by claiming an exhaust caused a mechanical, electrical or structural failure.

This argument/discussion has been on just about every car forum since the days of dial-up and AOL.
They will still try their best to void the warranty or claim the exhaust caused whatever failure may or may not need replacing.

The Ford performance exhaust is the borla exhaust with Ford stamped on it and a markup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
They will still try their best to void the warranty or claim the exhaust caused whatever failure may or may not need replacing.

The Ford performance exhaust is the borla exhaust with Ford stamped on it and a markup.

And flapper/valve, right? Or does Borla offer the value in one of theirs without the Ford Performance branding?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
And flapper/valve, right? Or does Borla offer the value in one of theirs without the Ford Performance branding?

So I was mistaken when I said "THE" borla exhaust, I didn't realize there are 2 Borla exhausts.

On Focusrsshop the Borla ATAK (has valve simulator) is 1078.99 & the S - Type is 999.58, I'm not sure if it has a valve.

The Ford performance exhaust is 1825.00

Ford performance exhaust is made by Borla.

Edit: corrected (has valve) to (has valve simulator)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So I was mistaken when I said "THE" borla exhaust, I didn't realize there are 2 Borla exhausts.

On Focusrsshop the Borla ATAK (has valve) is 1078.99 & the S - Type is 999.58, I'm not sure if it has a valve.

Is the valve functional on the FP rebranded Borla? Because the Type S has the mount for the valve, but there is not actual flap to close the left side. Just tricks the car into thinking there is, without adding a bypass.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I'd walk into the dealership to check out the one on the wall since the FP branded exhaust is an S-Type.

Is the valve functional on the FP rebranded Borla? Because the Type S has the mount for the valve, but there is not actual flap to close the left side. Just tricks the car into thinking there is, without adding a bypass.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I just re-read the posting on the Borla ATAK, it says valve simulator so I'm going to take that as it's not a real valve.

I didn't see this before but focus RS shop has the Ford performance one for 1599.

I'm not sure if this is allowed but here is a link that should have the Borla and FP exhausts filtered:

https://www.focusrsshop.com/28-focus-rs-cat-back-exhausts#/manufacturer-borla-ford_performance

·
Premium Member
692 Posts

On Focusrsshop the Borla ATAK (has valve) is 1078.99 & the S - Type is 999.58, I'm not sure if it has a valve.

I thought maybe Borla had introduced a 3rd system I was unaware of. The Borla ATAK (or S Type), does NOT have an active valve/flapper. It has a value simulator, which functions to fool the vehicle as to not throw codes. It does not operating the same as the OEM or FP exhaust. Meaning it doesn't allow for different flow or sounds. It only serves to fool the vehicle electronics, nothing more.

In addition to focusrsshop's text "Sound Suppressing Valve" SIMULATOR, the video linked below explains this around the 5:13 mark.

I'm not saying it's universally worth the ~$520 price difference (FP vs. ATAK on FocusRSshop), but it might be worth noting, for some.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Yes. I have it, it functions like OEM. You can even at the AWE Switchpath remote to have separate direct control over the flapper/valve.

https://www.awe-tuning.com/switchpath-exhaust-remote

Also, I would call it co-branded as it has clearly marked branding of both Ford and Borla.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anything past the catytic convertor and o2 sensors is irrelevant to anything going on with any other part of the car. All your doing is changing the piping and sound of your engine to make it louder. It does nothing besides that. Maybe a horsepower or two from extra flow and possibly weight reduction. Will it void warranty? Physical impossibility that anything after Catyletic convertor and o2 sensors can cause any issues with anything so no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts