Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for those who dont know - Europe RS arent getting the Sync 3 with the FoRS. Sucks epic time, but whatever, I can deal with that.
Do you think that it might be possible to exchange the Sync 2 for the Sync 3 later on? Seeing as it should actually work out with both systems.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So, for those who dont know - Europe RS arent getting the Sync 3 with the FoRS. Sucks epic time, but whatever, I can deal with that.
Do you think that it might be possible to exchange the Sync 2 for the Sync 3 later on? Seeing as it should actually work out with both systems.
I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. I don't know about the RS but other vehicles cannot do this due to the hardware differences. Maybe all RS builds have the new hardware.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I am expecting. Im a sucker for a good infotainment system in a Car. Whilst my current test with the Sync 2 isnt bad, I really would love a capacitive touch screen :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah thats what I am expecting. Im a sucker for a good infotainment system in a Car. Whilst my current test with the Sync 2 isnt bad, I really would love a capacitive touch screen :(
Sync 2 is a touch screen. You just don't get the newer, faster interface.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sync 2 is a touch screen. You just don't get the newer, faster interface.
Maybe Sync 2 is Resistive Touch? (Pro: works w/gloves on. Con: Touch points are at fixed positions on the screen(?).)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
why would it not fit? the physical size and mounting should be the same
installing multiple wiring harnesses based on delivery location seems unlikely, unless its tied into RHD and even then, it would be an added cost to do so
I have no clue if the features will work properly due to geolocation, but you never know.

·
Registered
413 Posts
why would it not fit? the physical size and mounting should be the same
installing multiple wiring harnesses based on delivery location seems unlikely, unless its tied into RHD and even then, it would be an added cost to do so
I have no clue if the features will work properly due to geolocation, but you never know.
The other hardware in the vehicle is the issue. I know on other vehicle lines, a lot more than just the touch screen and head unit have to swap out in order to go to gen 3.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The other hardware in the vehicle is the issue. I know on other vehicle lines, a lot more than just the touch screen and head unit have to swap out in order to go to gen 3.
agreed. Id imagine certain features wont work correctly or at all.
would be interesting to know the reason they were not able to get europe on board with sync 3.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
would be interesting to know the reason they were not able to get europe on board with sync 3.
This. Why is Europe not getting sync3 to begin with? Not like it's not ready or production for EU is going to be way earlier than the US? Only thing I can think of is them not being able to get enough sync 3 units to keep up with production and they cut it out of the market with the highest production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd expect Software to not be ready for the EU? Althought I cant imagine what it could be, considering Sync 2 on imported Stangs works fine over here except for the Map data which doesnt exist.
Also, what parts of the RS are tied to the Sync 2 System? As far as I am concerned its only tied to audio as well as the GPS unit?

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
I would think they are not done with localization for the different languages of EU. English first then others later is how most of this in dash stuff works for the big 3 I think.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry to bump this if it was well and truly dead, but my underrstanding of the difference is that Sync 2 is a microsoft based system, and Sync 3 is QNX from (RIM). These systems use different hardware which would mean that the only way to swap between the two would be to find your desired unit at a wrecker.
There is no real explanation why certain markets are getting the superseded system (we are getting 2 here in Australia). Surely on a new vehicle that rolls off a single production line, it would be simpler for all involved to use the one bit of gear rather than dredging up an obsolete system just for s**ts and giggles?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Sorry to bump this if it was well and truly dead, but my underrstanding of the difference is that Sync 2 is a microsoft based system, and Sync 3 is QNX from (RIM). These systems use different hardware which would mean that the only way to swap between the two would be to find your desired unit at a wrecker.
There is no real explanation why certain markets are getting the superseded system (we are getting 2 here in Australia). Surely on a new vehicle that rolls off a single production line, it would be simpler for all involved to use the one bit of gear rather than dredging up an obsolete system just for s**ts and giggles?
Could be a licensing or supply issue or just software development which is most likely like mentioned above

·
Registered
306 Posts
It doesn't bother me hugely as I get by fine currently with the first generation system but I just like the newest systems cus im a nerd. I'll stop *****ing now =]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
They are swappable, but you would have to find a car with sync 3 and pull it out. The other issue you will find is that the GPS antenna may no longer function, the way the GPS connects to sync 3 is different than sync 2.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
For those who are fine with Sync 2, don't forget that Sync 3 is supposed to either include or be upgradeable to include Android Auto and CarPlay, among many other things. A responsive capacitive touchscreen, much more processing power (more responsive software), different antennas, etc. I can't imagine that Sync2 doesn't have it, but Sync 3 was advertised as having a day and night mode and the ability to auto switch or always use one. It is, according to the reviews that I have seen, better in every way. I'm just excited that, after five years of waiting, there is finally a radio that is compatible with my Nexus.

-EDIT- Here's a poorly titled comparison of the software differences: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/210129-ford-sync-3-better-and-faster-if-not-standing-out-from-the-competition

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
[email protected]
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing