Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone’s thoughts on an everyday street tire? I use my RS as my daily driver, I’d line to buy an inexpensive set of street tires that still perform relatively well. I’ve seen an Achilles summer tire for $70, anyone have any experience with these? Are they crap? Will they explode after the first mile?
I’ve got a second set of stock rims for track days, I’d like to also get some thoughts on the best value in sticky tires for the track.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This may just be me, but I couldn't buy a $70 tire for anything but a beater i planned on getting rid of within a year. For a 300+ HP hot hatch? Even more so. Quick research on tirerack shows the only tire with reviews that were decent were Goodyear Eagle F1's. I don't have experience with Goodyear tires, but they are less than $140/each and have a decent treadwear rating. I know that's double the price you were looking at, but i think you are getting more than twice the tire. GL with your search.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Tires is one thing I don't cheap out on. It's your main contact to the road and makes a huge difference in handling, braking, accident avoidance, etc. I would stick with the stock Michelins for daily driving. They are comfortable, quiet and have great grip and wear surprising well considering the performance.

Track tires, on the other hand, I like to go with value since they are essentially "consumables". I've had great luck with Federal RSRR's. Not the best performing tire but they are pretty decent on the dry. Only thing I don't like is they are super loud (I sounded like a brodozer driving the freeway) and they can be a little iffy on a wet track. For the price though, they are pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I can speak in this thread.

best budget tire for our car is hands down the firestone firehawk Indy 500. Best blend of a tire you can street drive, canyon carve, track etc for a surprisingly low price.

I have also used the no name Chinese import tires, 255/35r18. Daily drove them and even a track day (forgot my track wheels lug nuts

to put them into prospective, they were $68 cad each. They were fine around town, fine in rain, gripped shockingly well in corners. You could tell they would wear faster than ‘real tires’, but I got A whole set NEW for cheaper than a single pilot super sport. So I didn’t care if I did donuts and slides and shît. The only area they were meh on was above their limit of heat, they got very gooey.

I dropped 2-3 seconds a lap from going from these tires to the michelin PSS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another vote for the firestone firehawk Indy 500, hard to beat them for the price. Decent grippy everyday tires don't have to be real expensive.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use General G-Max RS for my daily driving. They get great reviews and don't throw rocks everywhere like the Cup 2's.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I guess a lot of this depends on where you are located? I'm in Denver, CO and do like to spend time up in the mountains in the winter. I had the Cup Sport 2s, and those were scary in anything but a nice, warm dry day. I switched tires over to the Conti DWS all season performance tire the first full winter I had the car and was pretty impressed. Switched back to the Cup2s for the summer, killed those, then put the DWS back on. Picked up a pair of RS winter wheels and tires locally for a good price and used them all winter. They were great. Only needed them like 3x though. Then I bought a commuter car, and my wife got a 4Runner, then Covid, so we now have a truck for the mtns and I no longer will need to drive to work if it's snowing.

If I was tied to 1 set of wheels/tires, I'd probably go Super Sports. Cup sports don't last long enough. But I'll keep the DWSs on the stock wheels, and my track wheels have R888Rs on them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cups are track tires. Your are supposed to enjoy them on a nice, warm, dry day. If one needs more balanced performance one buys something else.

Krzys

·
Registered
356 Posts
Another happy Indy 500 owner here. Good enough for some spirited street driving and wayyyy better in the wet than the Dunlop StarSpecs I was using on my Mazdaspeed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve used the Firehawk Indy 500’s on my ST and currently on Dunlop Direzza DZ102’s for daily driving on my RS. I got a great deal on them and have a 460 treadwear rating, so lots of miles expected out of these. Good lateral grip but definitely lose a lot of grip under braking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts