Ford Focus RS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Out of curiosity why are people ordering the "euro" headunit instead of just a regular focus dash unit?
I got it mainly for the extra button to turn the display off.

But I also prefer the buttons that match the design of the ventilation buttons and how it blend in better without the gloss black.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
sorry guys maybe I wasn't clear enough about a regular focus. I meant like an SE or SEL without the sony radio but with sync 3. I may be crazy but I could have sworn there was a focus optioned like that...maybe I'm thinking Escape but I bet the plastic trim will fit. may be easier than sourcing parts from europe is all I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
sorry guys maybe I wasn't clear enough about a regular focus. I meant like an SE or SEL without the sony radio but with sync 3. I may be crazy but I could have sworn there was a focus optioned like that...maybe I'm thinking Escape but I bet the plastic trim will fit. may be easier than sourcing parts from europe is all I was thinking.
I dont think there is other options to source this panel from NA cars. If you find such a panel exists please let us know I’m interested in seing what it is and from which focus trim level it comes from. From what I remember the trim in the escape has a different shape so this would not fit if this is the case.

Too late for me obviously but could help others save some $$!

·
Registered
64 Posts
anyone try getting rid of the dumb passenger airbag light? I know theres a blank panel that fits in that spot, I just cant find the part number

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
anyone try getting rid of the dumb passenger airbag light? I know theres a blank panel that fits in that spot, I just cant find the part number
What trim level is it on? I tried looking on tasca on a 2017 SE trim, it's the same part number as ours. If you leave it disconnected you'll get an airbag light on the instrument panel too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What trim level is it on? I tried looking on tasca on a 2017 SE trim, it's the same part number as ours. If you leave it disconnected you'll get an airbag light on the instrument panel too.
yeah I was planning on replacing the light with a resistor or just stashing the light behind the radio. I think its a european or non-us model. everything in the states is mandated to have the light

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Is there a USDM dash that fits the Sync screen, and has all the buttons?
I took the dealer’s shuttle the other day and noticed the buttons on the new escapes look like they are the same from the euro RS.

Back at the dealer today they are selling their shuttle escape as a demo, snapped a picture of the buttons while I was waiting.

Might be easy to find and cheaper than the part from Europe for anyone interested. Would just need the euro faceplate from Europe ans have a full kit for the swap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I took the dealer’s shuttle the other day and noticed the buttons on the new escapes look like they are the same from the euro RS.

Back at the dealer today they are selling their shuttle escape as a demo, snapped a picture of the buttons while I was waiting.

Might be easy to find and cheaper than the part from Europe for anyone interested. Would just need the euro faceplate from Europe ans have a full kit for the swap.
That does not seem like a good option: The buttons are part of the surrounding trim. The surround there will not work in the Focus. And those buttons will not swap to the glossy Sony surround. So if you have to get the Euro surround anyway it would have the needed buttons.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That does not seem like a good option: The buttons are part of the surrounding trim. The surround there will not work in the Focus. And those buttons will not swap to the glossy Sony surround. So if you have to get the Euro surround anyway it would have the needed buttons.
The buttons are just attached from behind with a couple screws. It MIGHT be cheaper to buy the usdm buttons if you find a euro surround with no buttons.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
The buttons are just attached from behind with a couple screws. It MIGHT be cheaper to buy the usdm buttons if you find a euro surround with no buttons.
That’s true the buttons are held by a few little torx screws at the back.

I found it was hard to buy a used panel in mint condition as they scratch easily but the buttons were always in good condition. I ended up buying a brand new panel from FPUK.

For anyone buying a new panel they can swap the vents and buy the buttons from Europe or try the escape buttons from the us.

That’s what I was suggesting which might save some money on the buttons, especially on shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That’s true the buttons are held by a few little torx screws at the back.

I found it was hard to buy a used panel in mint condition as they scratch easily but the buttons were always in good condition. I ended up buying a brand new panel from FPUK.

For anyone buying a new panel they can swap the vents and buy the buttons from Europe or try the escape buttons from the us.

That’s what I was suggesting which might save some money on the buttons, especially on shipping costs.
I ended up buying a really cheap unit with some scratching on the bottom with no buttons for super cheap. Also found just the buttons for fairly cheap, and bought a spray can of the interior paint. Never got around to actually sanding/painting, but will this summer.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The buttons are a great resource for getting some new buttons in the event ours go bad. Good find!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the contributions in this writeup. All of the info provided helped make it go relatively smooth. Between this, the Euro cupholder & headrests, the entire interior of the car is so much cleaner & consistent. Very happy with this mod.

Anyway, I found that I have a couple of parts missing. Any help sourcing these parts would really be appreciated.

The first is mounting hardware for the faceplate. If you look in the photo I've attached, I'm missing a mounting point. The space in the red circle is supposed to have the same white piece that is shown in the blue circle. Does anyone know where I can get this mounting piece & the T25 screw that would go with it (other than the dealer)?

The other problem that I ran into is that one of the vents in my faceplate is missing the little arm control that allows the vent to be closed or open. Shown below, the piece in the picture with the blue circle is missing in the space in the picture with the red circle. Any ideas on where to acquire that?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyones hazard button just stopped working after doing this swap? I had to pull over in a blizzard the other day and no hazards came on. Everything was repinned after the swap and was working correctly. Just took everything apart and everything seems to be connected right - but still no hazards

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Has anyones hazard button just stopped working after doing this swap? I had to pull over in a blizzard the other day and no hazards came on. Everything was repinned after the swap and was working correctly. Just took everything apart and everything seems to be connected right - but still no hazards
I use my hazards a lot while delivering pizza in my RS and have not had any issue with them. Repinned as we decided was likely right for the euro face plate and all has been good for mine.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Nope, make sure the pin is fully seated or your button is faulty. Check earlier in this thread for an option for getting the button in the states.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nope, make sure the pin is fully seated or your button is faulty. Check earlier in this thread for an option for getting the button in the states.
I figured it out, the old hazard connector was pulling on the pin causing it to disconnect randomly, I zip tied it and taped it to the harness on the connector to the faceplate

·
Registered
85 Posts
How do you get this pin out of here?!?! This Euro head unit swap was going pretty smooth up until the part where you have to do the hazard light rewire. I can't get the pin out of the damn connector! I'm going to end up destroying it!

- Edit -

Never mind, found out there are tiny little tabs you have to push down, then you pull the wire out. I was about to just destroy the clip (since it wouldn't be needed anymore) but I'm glad I didn't have to resort to that.

181 - 200 of 204 Posts