Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped a USDM head unit for the Euro version? It's purely an aesthetic thing for me, I don't like the piano black or the design of the Sony unit we get. The Euro version is much better integrated in the styling of the center stack. I'd imagine there are some differences in the units and I'm not sure if it would be plug and play or where you could purchase an OE Euro headunit.
Pics for examples

USDM Piano Black, Sony branding

RSinterior.jpg

EDM matte black, no branding

RSinteriorEuro.jpg

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
lol, totally annoyed me that the volume button on ours in the states can't be pushed in to turn the radio on and off - I'd always press on it and forget that the power button is a tiny little button that I have to hunt for...the Euro one definitely has a much more intuitive user experience it looks like

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's hard to tell from that pic, but the European unit looks molded into that dash piece whereas the Sony looks like it could be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to tell from that pic, but the European unit looks molded into that dash piece whereas the Sony looks like it could be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it looks like the surround for the screen would have to be swapped as well. Looks like the bottom of the unit terminates in the same spot

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
don't forget that passenger air bag light
luckily that's a separate bezel piece and should not be an issue if you wanted to convert

what I would worry about though is the wiring harness behind it - it's not just one plug to handle everything and the wiring doesn't have a lot of extra room to move unless you remove it from it's mounting points, so he may not be able to plug everything in directly

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
luckily that's a separate bezel piece and should not be an issue if you wanted to convert

what I would worry about though is the wiring harness behind it - it's not just one plug to handle everything and the wiring doesn't have a lot of extra room to move unless you remove it from it's mounting points, so he may not be able to plug everything in directly
Yeah, I was just looking at the center stack when I was trying out the new settings in iOS to avoid Maps navigating you places automatically. Luckily that bit is separate so you'd just have to swap the head unit and the surround for the vents/touch screen it seems.

I felt like the wiring and compatibility would be the primary concern. The physical swap seems doable with OE parts mostly. I figure the only way to really know is to get one and try it but I'd hate to be out whatever the head unit costs and shipping from Europe won't be cheap.

It'd be easier to just pull the stock unit and painted or have it wrapped but I really prefer the design of the euro unit. I'm guessing paint or some other spray on could get it close to the texture of the rest of the stack?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yeah, I was just looking at the center stack when I was trying out the new settings in iOS to avoid Maps navigating you places automatically. Luckily that bit is separate so you'd just have to swap the head unit and the surround for the vents/touch screen it seems.

I felt like the wiring and compatibility would be the primary concern. The physical swap seems doable with OE parts mostly. I figure the only way to really know is to get one and try it but I'd hate to be out whatever the head unit costs and shipping from Europe won't be cheap.

It'd be easier to just pull the stock unit and painted or have it wrapped but I really prefer the design of the euro unit. I'm guessing paint or some other spray on could get it close to the texture of the rest of the stack?
you would not need to buy the entire head unit and there are several components to it behind the dash (at least in Sync 3) - you theoretically could get just the bezel and controls and ignore any additional electronics, which should be much cheaper

the next concern would be how comfortable with custom wiring? the controls you would be touching are merely buttons/dials, which should be the same number of pins just possibly hooked up using a different plug. If the plug is different, you could potentially make either your own in-between harness or just move the pins over to the new plug...it'd likely be doable

I wouldn't worry about Sync2/3 as you are only concerned with the actual controls here and not touching the Sync system itself

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@neox.286 I'm not an expert but I do work with computers and understand generally how to physically rewire a plug, but I'd need a guide of some sort based on my skill level.

Finding the part has been a bear, I haven't had any luck tracking down a parts catalog or seller for the OE part.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's probably the same parts that come in the ST with sync 2?

NVM, just looked, sync2 in the ST uses the same sony **** as ours.

However, that does make it more plausible that you can just swap the controls.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
It's probably the same parts that come in the ST with sync 2?

NVM, just looked, sync2 in the ST uses the same sony **** as ours.

However, that does make it more plausible that you can just swap the controls.
wait - actually that's probably the way to go - isn't the sony system an optional feature on the STs?

This is a LHD ST interior I believe

ford-focus-st-sync2-infotainment.jpg

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
wait - actually that's probably the way to go - isn't the sony system an optional feature on the STs?

This is a LHD ST interior I believe

View attachment 190857
LHD can still be euro. I haven't found an option on any of the parts sites I use for that bezel.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
LHD can still be euro. I haven't found an option on any of the parts sites I use for that bezel.
hmmmmmm true...but what about a couple years older ST with Sync 2? if the euro RS has Sync 2 then it's possible there was a model in the US with Sync 2 and no Sony system

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
hmmmmmm true...but what about a couple years older ST with Sync 2? if the euro RS has Sync 2 then it's possible there was a model in the US with Sync 2 and no Sony system
I still see them with the Sony bits that we already have (which makes me think the other controls would work with little to no issue, if you can find them)

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Australian delivered RS has the Euro style head unit and sync3. The headunit only has speaker outputs, the sound system is not separately amplified like the US spe .

Looking at the pics on the ebay link, looks like the screen can be upgraded independently.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
My Australian delivered RS has the Euro style head unit and sync3. The headunit only has speaker outputs, the sound system is not separately amplified like the US spe .

Looking at the pics on the ebay link, looks like the screen can be upgraded independently.
he's not worried about the screen, it's the controls around the volume knob

does yours have the sony branded volume control area?

1 - 20 of 204 Posts