Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh boy, don't say this in the RS1 (read: uber lightweight) thread haha.

Being skinny I don't have trouble getting out even when I have to park in a tight spot, but I could see how this could be helpful for a bigger person who may open the door a bit too wide on accident.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got it on mine��
Thought Id rather have Sync 3 than that. Mostly because Im a sucker for good infotainment. And I have no kids + I know how to open a door slowly.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That's so awesome and I'd love to have that for passengers who may get a little over zealous opening the doors. It'd be even better if everyone else in the world got them so they wouldn't hit my car with their door lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume this would be fairly easy install. Getting a part number and ordering it from Europe if not from states,and having it install here. I could be wrong.
Idk, might have more complexities inside the door to make it pop out when the door opens and retract when it closes. But you are right, just gotta find a place to import .I'm sure we don't get them for crash test reasons.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You have to park like that, because Americans need more space than Europeans :)
Was at the gym few days ago, some guy driving light brown (really???) E-class cabriolet parked just like that and there was no parking space around. I'm guessing he/she was an elderly member of our society and wanted to make sure no one hits the car. I left him/her a "nice" note.

"You are asking to be keyed deep****" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Was at the gym few days ago, some guy driving light brown (really???) E-class cabriolet parked just like that and there was no parking space around. I'm guessing he/she was an elderly member of our society and wanted to make sure no one hits the car. I left him/her a "nice" note.

"You are asking to be keyed deep****" :rolleyes:
I left this two weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Although I think this is pretty neat design from Ford, I'm not sure how much value added it will have. Simpy because it doesn't seem robust and sturdy enough to provide protection over extended periods of time. What happens when it is extremely cold outside, in single digits, or if it is above 100F, how well will mechanize function. What is deployment time (assuming it is around a second or so) once the doors are open for obvious reasons, etc...catch my drift.
That all being said, I would still pay few extra $ to get it. Just cause it is cool

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Although I think this is pretty neat design from Ford, I'm not sure how much value added it will have. Simpy because it doesn't seem robust and sturdy enough to provide protection over extended periods of time. What happens when it is extremely cold outside, in single digits, or if it is above 100F, how well will mechanize function. What is deployment time (assuming it is around a second or so) once the doors are open for obvious reasons, etc...catch my drift.
That all being said, I would still pay few extra $ to get it. Just cause it is cool
It's an OEM part so it should hold up really well, at least in the cold since it is a Euro part. As for deployment time, watch the video. It looks almost instant

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's an OEM part so it should hold up really well, at least in the cold since it is a Euro part. As for deployment time, watch the video. It looks almost instant
Just because it is OEM part doesn't mean it will hold on for long. They use expected service life when they design these parts and it could be that it is design for certain amount of life cycles (cycle being 1 deployment). That is how we design parts that we then ship to Ford among others. They will most likely be injection molded and assembled i'm guessing but then again, I would need to look at the material spec to be certain. Either way, curios to see how this feature works.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True but the fact is that it is designed to meet or exceed a certain amount of cycles regardless of conditions. That is why manufacturers go to great length to take cars to places like the Arctic and death valley. Plus even though it's an Euro part, I'm sure it carries some sort warranty when installed from the factory. So just that fact alone means it will last 3 years minimum, or whatever the EU bumper to bumper warranty period is. I doubt this would be labeled as an expendable item such as a filter or wiper blade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Belgium and also had the desire for these door edge guards for my FoST. Went to the local Ford dealer and they told me they would be only 50 € to have as an option if the car was built from the factory with them. Installing them afterwards was around 10x the price, but mostly labor cost. I gave up on that.

As a side note, he said he stopped ordering them on his inventory completely. They have a tendency to stick and can cause more damage than what they intended to protect you from in the first place.

Lastly, I did install Euro LED tail lamps on mine. He pulled one of his Focus Titanium and it worked. They have integrated rear fog lights in them as well. Unfortunately, we do not have the same wiring harness on US spec STs...our hatch release is Europe's rear fog light button. The best the dealer could do was hook them together with the front fog lights. The Euro RS pics I can see from the cabin show the same layout difference. Installing rear fogs will possibly take some additional wiring work and switch installation. I wanted it to look original afterward, and the wallet said no for that mod.

Sorry for combining Euro experiences here......back to the regular program.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
19 Participants
lucky phil
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing