Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes,

Been researching but cant find anything on the handbrake positioning with euro console... Given all euro cars are RHD ( forgive me if they aren't! ) Every console I'm looking at buying from Europe for the mk3 RS shows the handbrake in the right hand side which would be the opposite for us NA folk.

The question is are they all like that? Can I get a euro console set that isn't RHD for the ebrake? If not is it swappable to the other side? Hard to tell in pictures that I'm viewing when buying. Hoping someone can shed light on this for me.

My theory is our LHD ebrake is connectable to the euro console on the left hand side as well but just doesn't show it?

Help! I want to spend money for my ever growing habit of bigger drinks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you just want the cup holders, you can get just the cup holder, and it swaps in to the US center console.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a seller that is Willing to send me the whole thing including hand brake and arm rest etc and the entire console piece plus cup holders.

But it looks like the attachment for the ebrake is rhd.

Could I take the arm rest + cup holders and utilize that on my NA console then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at installs I'm guessing that's what everyone else has done.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cup holders, yes. The arm rest requires a bit more than just swapping because the locking is different

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so to confirm it can be swappable regardless just takes some elbow grease?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Okay so to confirm it can be swappable regardless just takes some elbow grease?
Pretty sure there is a thread on here somewhere about swapping to the sliding armrest. I think it what @thomwithah if memory serves

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey dudes,

Been researching but cant find anything on the handbrake positioning with euro console... Given all euro cars are RHD ( forgive me if they aren't! ) Every console I'm looking at buying from Europe for the mk3 RS shows the handbrake in the right hand side which would be the opposite for us NA folk.

The question is are they all like that? Can I get a euro console set that isn't RHD for the ebrake? If not is it swappable to the other side? Hard to tell in pictures that I'm viewing when buying. Hoping someone can shed light on this for me.

My theory is our LHD ebrake is connectable to the euro console on the left hand side as well but just doesn't show it?

Help! I want to spend money for my ever growing habit of bigger drinks
Most euro vehicles drive on the right side of the road, and are left hand drive. Ireland, UK, Cyprus are really the only rhd vehicles And Australia.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I'm familiar I'll just order and figure it out based on installs from these forums

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What threw me off was the ebrake, I thought I needed to also use it because it was all one unit. Knowing now I should be able to just swap the cups and armrest piece and fit to the NA console.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cost on this is ridiculous though.

I'm in Canada and it's at least $650 to my door. Is the Ford route cheaper? Hard to justify that kind of money for the return... Then again it would be awesome to have as no one around here does at all. I enjoy being unique.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The cost on this is ridiculous though.

I'm in Canada and it's at least $650 to my door. Is the Ford route cheaper? Hard to justify that kind of money for the return... Then again it would be awesome to have as no one around here does at all. I enjoy being unique.
The cupholder itself is around $200 shipped most likely to Canada (I could be wrong). You can fill out a quote here: https://www.fordpartsuk.com/request-parts

The part # is 2179270 https://www.fordpartsuk.com/centre-console-cup-holder

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happen to have the armrest part # and necessary pieces to make it work? And anything else needed? I thought you had to do a usb swap or some sort

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Most euro vehicles drive on the right side of the road, and are left hand drive. Ireland, UK, Cyprus are really the only rhd vehicles And Australia.
Japan, New Zealand are a couple others I can think of off the top of my head. Really it's modest islands that are backwards like that, well and Australia. I'm kinda surprised Hawaii is not RHD.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Japan, New Zealand are a couple others I can think of off the top of my head. Really it's modest islands that are backwards like that, well and Australia. I'm kinda surprised Hawaii is not RHD.
Was never part of the British empire. If they were part of Britain around ww1, they are right hand drive now.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The only thing that you gain by getting the whole console is that there are allegedly magnets that help give the slider door a different feel. I just bought the cupholder assembly and installed it, didn't bother looking how the magnets lined up.

For $600, you're approaching cupholder and rear headrest money, btw. If you order through FordPartsUK, insist that they give you the VAT free price.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
You can definitely swap the cupholder and sliding armrest from a RHD car, I know I did! I also bought a full unit to take the sliding armrest off of it and sold the cupholder with sliding door on the forum to make some money back (already had the cupholders at that time). What you gain by doing that is pretty much only the slow close gear which is a little stronger to compensate for the heavier armrest. It will not close smoothly without it.

This thread has great info to easily make the swap on the armrest:
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/27-focus-rs-guides/106561-euro-sliding-armrest-install-10-minutes.html

And this one has all the info to swap the cupholder, I added info on how to retain your OEM lighting inside the cupholder if that is something you are interested in (at the end of the thread):
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/27-focus-rs-guides/40634-diy-uk-cup-holder-install-56k-warning-4.html

If that helps for info, the cupholder cost me 232$cad back at the end of 2017 from FPUK according to my parts spreadsheet!

And the whole center console cost me 27gbp + 330$ to ship to Canada with myukmailbox (ouch I took a chance waiting for the cost to fwd the parcel to me, that was a surprise, chose to have it shipped anyways as I really wanted the armrest, could have decided to have them scrap it and have lost only 50$ by then) + 20$ customs fees - 100$ for the extra cupholder I sold on the forum = 300$cad!

At 650$ yours is pricey I find (unless maybe it's the RS one with the blue stitching which I undestand would be a rare find), maybe if you're patient and find a cheap one on eBay who will ship through the global shipping program (usually cheaper) you could save a good amount. You dont need the RS version with the blue stitching, you can get an alcantara cover from redline (80$ shipped to Canada) and get rid of the seats sqeeking against the armrest lid at the same time (that was my first mod, the only mod my GF requested that I made ASAP)! Pretty sure FPUK can get you the sliding armrest too if you ask them, that's another option.

The only thing that you gain by getting the whole console is that there are allegedly magnets that help give the slider door a different feel. I just bought the cupholder assembly and installed it, didn't bother looking how the magnets lined up.

For $600, you're approaching cupholder and rear headrest money, btw. If you order through FordPartsUK, insist that they give you the VAT free price.
Mmmm didnt see any difference with respect to the cup holder while dismantling the RHD euro console, no magnets in this area really. Maybe you're refering to the magnets that are built in the console to keep the armrest closed vs our NA console which has an opening for the armrest latch to clip closed. Those were definitely build in the console and I decided not to try to make them fit which would have required non-reversible trimming/glueing/fitting with unknown results in the end. The armrest is heavy enough that it stays down without ever bouncing up or rattling.

+1 on the rear headrests! Those are clearly different and offer great visibility out the back window! You can use MK2 focus headrests for this purpose, find some black leather ones they will fit. That's what I did and got them for 105$cad to my door from eBay uk (from an 07 titanium). Nobody ever noticed they were missing the blue stiching on them.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Was curious so I checked eBay uk quickly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-FORD-FOCUS-Mk3-FL-Petrol-Hatchback-Centre-Console-F1EB-A045M62-KF35B8-954/401743097077?fits=Model:Focus|Plat_Gen:MK+III&epid=23030278592&hash=item5d89c12cf5:g:LugAAOSwzsVcpbIN&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

You can get this one shipped to Canada for 216gpb including customs fees (estimated to Québec though so may vary a bit depending on your location), roughly 375$cad. Seems in good condition and has all you really want (cupholder with sliding cover + sliding armrest).

Maybe confirm with the seller that the armrest is actually sliding before buying though (not shown in the pictures). But I believe it should be!

There is another cheaper one on there but it doesnt have the sliding cover cupholder, must be from a lower trim car.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
https://www.fordpartsuk.com/rear-seat-headrest
https://www.fordpartsuk.com/centre-console-cup-holder

Not to get you too excited, but the euro radio fascia is a worthwhile investment too, you might as well swap it out while it's all apart (I wish I did it in one go). I hate piano black in cars so it was a must for me. A great example of all the Euro bits, including sliding armrest:
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/8-focus-rs-forums/49-focus-rs-accessories/34330-cup-holder-upgrade-post2135910.html#post2135910

If getting from fordpartsuk, you can grab the crossbars if you've been eyeing them since you're paying for shipping anyway
https://www.fordpartsuk.com/roof-rack-cross-bar-kit

The mod bug is real with these euro bits

1 - 20 of 36 Posts