Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through this How To: 2016 USDM Focus RS Powerfolding and Puddlelamps, I decided to get EU mirrors but without Power Folding and Puddle Lamps. I understand why people like them but it's not something I want. Actually, if it was possible to just replace the glass, I'd have done that instead as the only reason the replacement interests me is it doesn't have the fish-eye lens.

I also didn't have the patience to find a source for OEM assemblies. While I would like to have OEM, for something like this, I could live with aftermarket. In this case, the major differences are they're sold complete with a primed trim cap and they don't readily mount using the OEM bolts. It would be better to get (6) six self-tapping bolts. Otherwise, pressure needs to be applied to the OEM bolts as they're being installed to get them to cut their own threads into the mirror mount. It is possible that other aftermarket brands may have threaded inserts like OEM but I don't have the option of looking at all of them before purchase.

I decided to take a chance with "buycarparts.co.uk" after looking around for a bit and ordered a pair of "Alkar" branded assemblies that matched the current power adjust, heated, with turn signal assemblies and were for Left-Hand Drive vehicles for a total of 83 Pounds plus an additional 92 Pounds for shipping.

However, since I was anticipating not being too enthusiastic about mixing a few ounces of paint, I also ordered gloss black mirror caps from eBay seller "gmd.autobay-0". Typically I'll search for what I'm looking for and then screen according to seller rating and feedback count so I know this wasn't the first seller I considered. I also wanted to avoid HK, China and similar. While I could live with aftermarket, buying from these locations can be hit or miss. Also of concern is that some listings are for "covers" which cover the existing caps. This added an additional 35 Pounds plus 17 Pounds shipping.

For those keeping track, the cost is just short of $300 just so I won't have to see those fish-eye lenses in my mirrors. From what I've seen online though, getting EU mirrors might be a good idea in itself.

That said, for the cost of even aftermarket assemblies being what they are, adding Power Folding and Puddle Lamps might justify the total cost better. Just check the mentioned thread for details as it does require adding in the wiring as well.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Is the glass shape/mount different on the EU model? If not, the mirror itself snaps out of the housing and is easily replaceable.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great to see others enjoying the function(excellent for highway driving) | styling as well! Got these below at - pep boys (the black screw is the factory one I got with one of my donor mirrors, ignore the silver one lol, package is correct. ) - these work great for mounting, I just added a little nylon washer (3d printed mine) behind it so they didn't mare the paint and torque to about 15ftlbs. Post some pictures!!!!
Eczpwpb.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, I forgot to mention that the right mirror wiring on the EU assembly has the OAT Sensor (Outside Air Temperature) going to pins 11 & 12 but on a USDM assembly, it will be pins 9 & 10. I disassembled the plug on the mirror and relocated the pins so that I wouldn't need to get behind the door panel. It'll make things easily reversible as well though I would only do that because my EU mirror got stolen or something else stupid like that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ya I thought about that also, I will prob end up re-pinning these backups I have and selling them, I kinda doubt I will need another set any time soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would miss my little wide angle mirror...that is one of my favorite things on the whole car. I am glad you are happy with them though! The CF would make all the interior CF in mine look less out of place maybe...maybe not...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Those are aspheric mirrors, its subtle at first but once you focus past the outer line you can see it's actually two vastly different focal points, same function as the stocks but implemented in a more aesthetically pleasing fashion. (I will get a highway picture so you can see the function better, it's very subtle [mouse cursor is pointing to the line] and the line isn't even visible in the photo I took above lol)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts