Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had my 2018 RS serviced by the Ford Dealership. The car has had the “engine fault- service now” warning light come on at startup over the holidays I noticed . Because I purchased the extended warranty fortunately the work was done to correct that under the coverage . There is a post on the Forum I followed where I laid out the parts fitted at the end of December . I am opening this discussion because that didn’t really fix it. The warning light came on again ! Having had the car back in last week for another round of checks to diagnose the issue. So
the proposed fix is a new PCM. Reading up more about what that controls I now understand a lot better about why the car is generally feeling less responsive. The part is on back order but I was advised it arrived today and can be fitted next week. It’s a great car nevertheless and Im happy to know what’s going on !
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
2016 RS
69 Posts
Is the service engine now light the only warning that you are getting? Or are their others?

Are you able to extract the codes that the car is throwing?

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the service engine now light the only warning that you are getting? Or are their others?

Are you able to extract the codes that the car is throwing?
Good day ! Great question. So here’s the thing , before the last service the engine fault warning was on every time the RS was started ! Annoying! That was diagnosed as code BK3Z 7F293 B . Service commentary states “ Internal fault with neutral position switch, causing DTC”.
Now, where things stand is this, because the Warning light has started to come on again. It’s been re-diagnosed with this new fault that the service manager states can only be resolved by having a new PCM unit , but I don’t have the code for that diagnosis, but when I get the car back next week, I’ll let you know what that discussion and code looks like. Hope that’s a help to begin with? Cheers

· Registered
2016 RS
69 Posts
It's a bit weird that a neutral position sensor would throw an engine service code.

PCM could be the issue but seems a bit extreme to go straight to that. Have you tried manually resetting the service interval?

(Car off, foot on both brake and accelerator, must be at 100% throttle, turn on ignition, wait until you see message, then let off the pedals)'

Also that "code" is actually a part number for the Neutral Position Sensor.

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a bit weird that a neutral position sensor would throw an engine service code.

PCM could be the issue but seems a bit extreme to go straight to that. Have you tried manually resetting the service interval?

(Car off, foot on both brake and accelerator, must be at 100% throttle, turn on ignition, wait until you see message, then let off the pedals)'

Also that "code" is actually a part number for the Neutral Position Sensor.
All the more reason why I take it to Ford dealership to figure out. I’m sure if a “control, alt , delete “ type fix was all that it needed the service team would have told me . I’m not the mechanic I just drive it haha!

· Registered
3,008 Posts
All the more reason why I take it to Ford dealership to figure out. I’m sure if a “control, alt , delete “ type fix was all that it needed the service team would have told me . I’m not the mechanic I just drive it haha!
Wouldn't rely on the dealer to know anything.

· Registered
35 Posts
I have a similar, maybe same issue.
2016 NB full stock.

A short pop-up error reported on main screen, but lasts only a second.. has an “ok” to clear screen but it does it itself, almost too fast to read.

suggests the neutral position sensor.

Interested in your result.

Font Electronic device Screenshot Multimedia Darkness

Font Technology Electronic device Screenshot Software

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Darkness

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a similar, maybe same issue.
2016 NB full stock.

A short pop-up error reported on main screen, but lasts only a second.. has an “ok” to clear screen but it does it itself, almost too fast to read.

suggests the neutral position sensor.

Interested in your result.

View attachment 364694
View attachment 364693
View attachment 364695
Good day! Apologies to all I added the part number and not the fault code. The service work order from December 7th indicates that same problem code on my car , P08B2.
The comments are “new neutral position switch required .”
This was fitted on Dec 27th but the code came back on hence why the RS went back in last week .
Further tests showed the lingering error code can only be fixed with this new PCM which is to be fitted next Friday .
My RS is a 2018 model year , stock .
im not a tuner and deliberately purchased the extra cost extended warranty when
I bought the car to mitigate any possible problems with costs after the initial warranty term was up. That and the extra cost Ford service maintenance plan has really helped my peace of mind!

· Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Good day! Apologies to all I added the part number and not the fault code. The service work order from December 7th indicates that same problem code on my car , P08B2.
P08B2 is usually the battery. myself and others have this code a lot...due to using lightweight batteries. when batteries get low...they can throw lots of other codes too.

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P08B2 is usually the battery. myself and others have this code a lot...due to using lightweight batteries. when batteries get low...they can throw lots of other codes too.
Probably the way my luck is going the battery will be the next thing ( it is still the original) and will fail this time next year out of warranty.

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even when the car was brand new the auto stop start was a pain , the car would falter / hesitate pulling away from the lights or at an intersection, so when starting up I learned to routinely hit that off button next to the gear shift lever . RS goes in on Friday for what I hope is the last time to correct the engine fault warning light on issue , … finally!

· Registered
367 Posts
That auto stop start eliminator just remembers what mode you selected and keeps it. I bought it because the guy who installed the tires on it when I got it, kept stalling it, and didn't know why. It was activating right as he went to move. I decided I had enough with it.

· Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the RS back from the Ford dealership on Friday afternoon. The new PCM is now fitted and after a good run on the highway yesterday I’m pleased to report my pride and joy is back ! No more warning lights! Thrilled to have the #RS home just in time for another 4” of the white stuff and hoping to get some #drifting in tonight!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts