Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone disappointed with how everything looks under the hood? It just doesn't look that great and nothing really "catches my eye" under the hood. I was hoping for a sway bar like they have on some Shelby's etc....
What kind of mods can we do to spice it up?

photo 10.JPG

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That's is a strut brace bro!! Know yer sh!t before ya post. I don't care under the hood stuff. All I care about is a car that can put a smile on my face. These STi's have only put frowns on since 2008 for me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's is a strut brace bro!! Know yer sh!t before ya post. I don't care under the hood stuff. All I care about is a car that can put a smile on my face. These STi's have only put frowns on since 2008 for me.
That's a shock/strut tower bar. Sway bars are underneath ;)
You both have different names for it, so what is the official term?
I'm not an expert it was a simple mistake my bad! I just want more "WOW FACTOR" under the hood, it looks plain jane. This is an RS for christs sake! It should be a little nicer looking under the hood IMO

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I really could care less what the name is. I'm not an expert it was a simple mistake. I just want more "WOW FACTOR" under the hood

Sorry man. Don't mean to ruffle your feathers. That engine bay is kinda tight and cluttered. Not very easy to bling it up, but we will find out soon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry man. Don't mean to ruffle your feathers. That engine bay is kinda tight and cluttered. Not very easy to bling it up, but we will find out soon.
No need for apologizing, I appreciate your input! I build computers and write code for my day job but I'm new to the performance car world, can't wait to learn more and do most of the maintenance myself.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The struts are hidden under the upper cowl by the windshield anyway, so you won't be getting any extra bling if you do replace it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's officially called a strut tower bar, the RS doesn't have one because it doesn't need one. Just like and other C1 platform vehicle, if you take off the black plastic next to the windshield, you would see that the strut towers are really close, if not touching, the Firewall. You COULD add one but on this car it's not even bling. If you want the wow factor, there are a bunch of thing's you can do to the engine bay to clean it up and bling it out. I plan on doing a full set of dress up washers, hose candy, painting as much of the covers and prolly see what I can do about the ugly coolant over flow tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
For me I need to see the thickness of the factory strut tower brace/bar. If it's thin like the FoST, I'll replace it with a Mountune STB. Like mentioned above it's somewhat hidden under the cowl.

If someone wants to bling a bit more, try a CAI. I personally like the RS one I've seen but it appears to be plastic and I need to see if there's any restrictions in the pipe.

I've always taken off my engine cover on my FoST and FiST. Others in the FoST community have personalized theirs by painting or having them vinyl wrapped.

Another idea in time will be to replace the OEM hoses with silicone or braided hoses.

Don't forget the hood struts!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
You both have different names for it, so what is the official term?
I'm not an expert it was a simple mistake my bad! I just want more "WOW FACTOR" under the hood, it looks plain jane. This is an RS for christs sake! It should be a little nicer looking under the hood IMO
Here you go Chad916, what you need is a clear hood: :smiley_simmons::snowman::smiley_simmons:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Banned
346 Posts
Anyone disappointed with how everything looks under the hood? It just doesn't look that great and nothing really "catches my eye" under the hood. I was hoping for a sway bar like they have on some Shelby's etc....
What kind of mods can we do to spice it up?

View attachment 4360
I could care less about how an engine looks. What matter is the power it produces!!! I know a bunch of people out here in Houston, Tx with Ricers (honda civics) with all kind of shiny chrome plates on the outside and under the hood, neon lights, stickers claiming tons of after-market parts, weird looking rims........and.........
the car STILL sounds like a cheap motor cycle and is slower than a Prius.....
I'll take a little POWER over a little PRETTY any day.
that's my opinion!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The only time the hood should be up is during scheduled services. How you gonna embarrass other turkeys on the road from a McDonalds carpark with the hood open?

·
Registered
512 Posts
A modern 4cyl engine is generally nothing impressive to look at. Impressive to drive, yeah. Not to look at. Hood up for servicing and cleaning only.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
considering you cant even seen the shock towers without removing all sorts of crap, I dont think a tower brace can be fit. besides, they are only useful on cars who's towers are located far enough away from the firewall to create flex under load. the RS was not designed to win a concours d'elegance, no reason to bling it out unless it serves a purpose.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
30 Participants
Moxboost
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing