Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 RS which I took to a shop focusing on Ford "Performance" vehicles for inspection. They discovered that there is oil coming down from the transmission right under where you'd fill oil into the engine. The leak seems to be fresh oil. The mechanic wasn't able to pin point exactly where the leak was coming stating that it could be anything and that it'd take time to find it. He also stated that there seems to be a leak coming from the passenger axle seal.

I'm in the process of finding a dealership, but the ones in my area all sound iffy from their reviews.

Should I have immediate concerns over either of the leaks? Where might the leak be coming from? The HG replacement was done in May this year. Any information would be helpful!

Note: The engine oil is overfilled by whoever changed it last... could that be a culprit?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Whats evident here in the images is the evidence of an oil leak/leaks not the origin/s so in reality it could be leaking from any number of places. Considering it's had the HG replaced the primary culprit would be the front timing cover which is a pain to reseal and quite a big job as it involves a lot of disassembly and redoing the cam timing. It may also require re doing the head gasket again.
The process to resolve these leaks can be quite long and frustrating so you might want to consider whether or not you're up for that. Might be better to just walk away.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Axle seal isn't that big of a deal (I took my 2017 back twice before it was fixed after a seal redesign), but numerous owners on here have had a heck of a time tracking down the engine oil leak. See the turbo banjo bolt thread for more details. Like @lucky phil said, for the oil leak you're looking at best an oil banjo bolt and line (maybe 50% success rate? They probably swapped this part already) or a full timing cover fix which requires the engine to be torn down pretty far. Pass or get them to throw in an extended warranty if you're willing to take the car back for a fix or two and this isn't your daily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts