Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is being created because I want people’s opinion on whether or not Ford is being shady in regards to the current situation regarding my RS...

I went for a simple oil change (2017/just shy of 17k miles), drove straight home after and didn’t drive the car the rest of the day. The next morning, at the beginning of my drive to work, my check engine light came on. This is the first time I’ve ever gotten a check engine light, so I called Ford as soon as their service department opened, and they told me to bring my car as soon as I can.

I take my car back, and the code is telling them my car is running lean. Almost 4 hours later, with 3 technicians looking into it, they can’t figure it out. There’s a point where the rev the hell out of my car, something even I don’t do. They decide to re-flash my ECU (I don’t have a tune), and the tech. drives my car out only for a new code to be thrown (emissions related). They ask me if I put the wrong fuel in (so stupid), run a fuel test, and still can’t figure it out. I get put into a rental, and on my drive home they call me and say they’ve figured it out. Bad O2 sensor.

For those who read this, what do think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Without knowing the codes, sounds like they fixed the issue?

Chalk it up to a fluke and take it back if the CEL comes on again in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I find it odd how a lean code can lead to a bad O2 sensor, seems to me that they are completely independent. A lean code is typically due to a leak, loose clamps or popped off hoses along the intake. Also seems odd that an O2 sensor can go bad after only 17k mi...but then again, it's a Ford after all lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
I find it odd how a lean code can lead to a bad O2 sensor, seems to me that they are completely independent. A lean code is typically due to a leak, loose clamps or popped off hoses along the intake. Also seems odd that an O2 sensor can go bad after only 17k mi...but then again, it's a Ford after all lol
The bad o2 could supply bad voltage which in turn reads lean to ecu . Ecu would adjust accordingly based upon signal from o2.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Even if you did run a tank of 87, I highly doubt a check engine light would come on. Those service depts. love to try to place the blame on the customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts