Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What purpose does the engine cover serve? I hope it’s really important, because it makes opening the hood rather boring.
Also, what purpose do the 4 threaded holes serve on the valve cover. I hope it’s really unimportant because mine are empty.
1FF2AF8C-F062-4FEB-A1C5-CE49662FD418.jpeg

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Other than aesthetics (lets admit it, our engines are not much to look at), it does have some sound insulation as well.

Not sure about those threaded holes, but they are empty on mine as well. Probably some leftover mounting holes from other applications.

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
I’ve had mine off since nearly day one. Since then I’ve considered an aesthetically visually appealing upgrade.

I was advised that this isn’t much of an upgrade. So I’m on the fence but I'd really like to give my dealer the fits when they see it.

What the write up says:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
To be honest the Mountune inlet is as good on flow as the original but looks pretty and is stronger than the plastic item.
If you want good flow go for a Swedish style inlet manifold from say Norris Designs

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
To be honest the Mountune inlet is as good on flow as the original but looks pretty and is stronger than the plastic item.
If you want good flow go for a Swedish style inlet manifold from say Norris Designs
@White-RS2
You're speaking of Norris Designs in Wiltshire, UK? I checked their site and eBay page and didn't see anything thing listed. I may send Simon an email to inquire further.

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
My engine cover went in my take off parts department once I installed the mountune intake. Now if they would just do a nice cam cover.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I’ve run with and without the cover and this is what I’ve noticed about the purpose of the engine cover

1. A heat shield between the engine and engine bay
  2. Noise reduction

·
Registered
266 Posts
Other than aesthetics (lets admit it, our engines are not much to look at), it does have some sound insulation as well.

Not sure about those threaded holes, but they are empty on mine as well. Probably some leftover mounting holes from other applications.
Come to think of it, our engine bays are pretty ugly, though inline 4's usually are. I can't think of a good looking one except maybe the SRT4 and the early Evos. I guess the least ugly among modern cars is the AMG 45's.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Come to think of it, our engine bays are pretty ugly, though inline 4's usually are. I can't think of a good looking one except maybe the SRT4 and the early Evos. I guess the least ugly among modern cars is the AMG 45's.
S2000 comes to mind, pure bliss to look at and work on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I replaced mine with a cf one from breedt. Had to trim it a bit to fit but I like the look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts