Ford Focus RS Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did some more research last night...on 2nd generation 2.0 ecoboost motors.
Brown Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Event

In 2017 Ford started using the 2nd generation 2.0 (TS: Twin Scroll) ecoboost engine in the Fusion.
What I could not find was information on the Focus ST... Were all of the ST motors 1st generation?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know why ken block & the focus rs rx used a 2.0l over the 2.3l ? Was considering a 2.3l build but now I have second thoughts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The second generation
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Gas Audio equipment
2.0 has a semi closed deck and the 2.3 has an open deck.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

However they both share the same points of concern located behind the turbocharger.
Automotive tire Font Gas Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
27 Posts
So are you saying this is a Gen1 2.0 block? Because it's totally different in side detail to to the other 2.0L Gen2 block you showed in the above post.

Ciao
No, I'm not saying it is a gen 1 block. But, the vendor has it listed as an ST block. I'll try and find some pictures of a gen 1 block and see if it looks similar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Hood

I did find another vendor who shows a similar block, but they don't identify it as a gen 1 block, however they do list a part number (EN283435).
They also have a list of cars that came with this engine block.
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Circle

Which is very similar to a list of cars, which came with the gen 1 motor.

Font Terrestrial plant Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
View attachment 355099
I did find another vendor who shows a similar block, but they don't identify it as a gen 1 block, however they do list a part number (EN283435).
They also have a list of cars that came with this engine block.
View attachment 355102

Which is very similar to a list of cars, which came with the gen 1 motor.

View attachment 355103
Hmm, ok thanks for that, not totally conclusive. From what I've read which isn't comprehensive the Gen2 took over in 2015 so I don't think any vehicle before that will have a gen1. I was looking at this briefly about 6 months ago as my DD is a 2016 Ford Kuga and was wondering whether it had the gen1 or 2 engine. Next time I'm under it doing the oil I'll look at the back of the block. The differences on the one you showed are quite distinctively different to what may well be the gen2 block so I should be able to ID it. Notice how they have deleted the oil drain back gallery at the back of the block at the front end of the engine on the 2.3 engine and also the one we think is the gen2 2.0L block so that may be the obvious difference that's easy to recognise.

Ciao

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm, ok thanks for that, not totally conclusive. From what I've read which isn't comprehensive the Gen2 took over in 2015 so I don't think any vehicle before that will have a gen1. I was looking at this briefly about 6 months ago as my DD is a 2016 Ford Kuga and was wondering whether it had the gen1 or 2 engine. Next time I'm under it doing the oil I'll look at the back of the block. The differences on the one you showed are quite distinctively different to what may well be the gen2 block so I should be able to ID it. Notice how they have deleted the oil drain back gallery at the back of the block at the front end of the engine on the 2.3 engine and also the one we think is the gen2 2.0L block so that may be the obvious difference that's easy to recognise.

Ciao
What you have available in Australia may be different than what I have available in North America (many of the parts for my last build came from Australia). I read that there is a head available in Europe without the integrated manifold!?
PS: Even though the Ford (aka Gen 2) Ecoboost motor was introduced in 2015, the Gen 1 (aka Mazda) motor wasn't completely phased out till 2018.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I personally still believe the 2.3 is the superior engine.
Reason the 2 ltr gained traction was the HG issue before everyone tuner knew it was the HG they all rubbished the 2.3 and pushed the 2ltr as a fix. Now these same tuners will build you both a 2ltr 2.3 or a 2.3 engine as they can’t go back now and say well actually the 2.3 block is erm good it was us tuners didn’t have a clue why they cracked all the time and it was mainly due to a HG issue.
I don’t believe for one minute that all cracked blocks will be HG related some will be failed components, some will be the balance shaft assembly becoming loose and the final percentage will actually be a bad cast block.
in the same way on the ST forums they blow up regular more regularly than the RS solely due to their being more ST to RS

·
Registered
2017 FW mk3RS FBO, pte NX2, stratified custom tune 91OCT/ e30
15 Posts
Most likely that’s the twin scroll semi closed fusion block tune plus starts with. I had talked with esslinger and basically they also use the fusion block bc it already has provisions for the 2.3 head whereas the ST block needs to be plugged. The fusion block seems more plug n play in my opinion. It was just a later option that the folks who went the ST block route didn’t have available at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Most likely that’s the twin scroll semi closed fusion block tune plus starts with. I had talked with esslinger and basically they also use the fusion block bc it already has provisions for the 2.3 head whereas the ST block needs to be plugged. The fusion block seems more plug n play in my opinion. It was just a later option that the folks who went the ST block route didn’t have available at the time.

Just to cross reference @mexrs experience with Esslinger:

YMMV.

Reactions: Oreo RS

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm recommend talking with Jessie Ringling of EMS (engineering motorsports solutions) before making a decision!
He's not a turner, he's a builder. A builder with a mechanical engineering degree, plus a consumer!
He, himself, racers what he builds, as in, his 800+ horsepower Ecoboost Mustang!
Tire Wheel Car Photograph Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally still believe the 2.3 is the superior engine.
Reason the 2 ltr gained traction was the HG issue before everyone tuner knew it was the HG they all rubbished the 2.3 and pushed the 2ltr as a fix. Now these same tuners will build you both a 2ltr 2.3 or a 2.3 engine as they can’t go back now and say well actually the 2.3 block is erm good it was us tuners didn’t have a clue why they cracked all the time and it was mainly due to a HG issue.
I don’t believe for one minute that all cracked blocks will be HG related some will be failed components, some will be the balance shaft assembly becoming loose and the final percentage will actually be a bad cast block.
in the same way on the ST forums they blow up regular more regularly than the RS solely due to their being more ST to RS
What is the solution for the Head Gasket issues?? I currently have several things disconnected and removed from my ecoboost engine to install a auxiliary fuel rail. Should I continue to dismantle and if so what changes should be made concerning the top end of my factory stock ecoboost engine??

·
Registered
644 Posts
What is the solution for the Head Gasket issues?? I currently have several things disconnected and removed from my ecoboost engine to install a auxiliary fuel rail. Should I continue to dismantle and if so what changes should be made concerning the top end of my factory stock ecoboost engine??
I've used a Norris Designs deck brace and the latest OEM head gasket and its all holding together just right.
513tq with 563whp built 2.3. Built right these engines are good

101 - 117 of 117 Posts