Ford Focus RS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I cracked a block last year. It was a September 2016 build with the head gasket recall done and I had a Tune+ tune on it. Cracked @39k kilometers, tuned most of those. Got a brand new long block no questions asked.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I cracked a block last year. It was a September 2016 build with the head gasket recall done and I had a Tune+ tune on it. Got a brand new long block no questions asked.
Would have been interesting to see what part number the block was. Assume ‘At or ‘B’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Great that Ford gave you a new long block deal. I assume you pulled the tune before bringing it to them. Where is the number on the block?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I cracked a block last year. It was a September 2016 build with the head gasket recall done and I had a Tune+ tune on it. Cracked @39k kilometers, tuned most of those. Got a brand new long block no questions asked.
Funny that, as some have claimed that after the head gasket fix, no blocks have cracked.......... :unsure:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great that Ford gave you a new long block deal. I assume you pulled the tune before bringing it to them. Where is the number on the block?
That's the part number on my purchase order. Along with gaskets and one time use stuff. As for the tune, I took it off but had the Cobb next to the steering wheel still. I'm sure they COULD have just blamed the tune but they damn well knew better. I had colder plugs, WGA, and some bushings and ptu brace still installed when it went in. I didn't even want to go for the HG recall initially, but knew if I didn't that issues could come up later. I just didn't expect the block to crack post install.
Funny that, as some have claimed that after the head gasket fix, no blocks have cracked.......... :unsure:
If I was a betting man, I'd guess the tech who first did the recall didn't take his time. Could have been a over tightened head stud for all I know. It cracked in the usual spot. Since the new long block, not so much as a hiccup YET. 13k deep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Adam no longer builds with the 2.3 block. His website says they use the Fusion 2.0 block as the base for any customer builds.
NOTE, ALL OUR ENGINES ARE BUILT WITH 2.0 (TS) FORD FUSION BLOCKS, BUT 2.3L INTERNALS. THIS IS TO AVOID CRACKING ON THE BLOCK THAT THE FACTORY 2.3L ENGINE BLOCK HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE HAPPEN. 2.0 BLOCKS DO NOT REQUIRE CYLINDER SUPPORT SYSTEMS AS THEY ARE SEMI-CLOSED DECK. "
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Asphalt Engineering

I downloaded this picture from the TunePlus site. Is this a picture of a 2.0 (TS) Ford Fusion engine block?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
That looks like a 2.3 block, but it has the closed deck?

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have a 2.0 block with 2.3 rotating assy, so it is still 2.3 in displacement. The deck height and bore for 2.0 and 3.0 are the same. The crank, rods, pistons in the 2.3 have longer stroke for the additional displacement. The 2.0 block is in fact closed deck, but the block in photo is a 2.3 that likely has the bracing kit installed, but it doesn’t show the normal signs, and Adam doesn’t use them. If you zoom in you can see it has the cooling slot between the cylinders indicating the Mustang 2.3 with old head gasket design.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have a 2.0 block with 2.3 rotating assy, so it is still 2.3 in displacement. The deck height and bore for 2.0 and 3.0 are the same. The crank, rods, pistons in the 2.3 have longer stroke for the additional displacement. The 2.0 block is in fact closed deck, but the block in photo is a 2.3 that likely has the bracing kit installed, but it doesn’t show the normal signs, and Adam doesn’t use them. If you zoom in you can see it has the cooling slot between the cylinders indicating the Mustang 2.3 with old head gasket design.
Not trying to argue here and I see your point in the image which is pretty low res but that's a 2.0L block for sure. I've not from my admittedly dodgy memory ever seen a deck brace with cooling slots. All the ones I've seen have round holes and here is a 2.3 block image from the same side. Totally different in detail on the side and also the oil drain galleries on the end of the block and the near side timing cover end of the deck, plus other stuff.

Ciao

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Not trying to argue here and I see your point in the image which is pretty low res but that's a 2.0L block for sure. I've not from my admittedly dodgy memory ever seen a deck brace with cooling slots. All the ones I've seen have round holes and here is a 2.3 block image from the same side. Totally different in detail on the side and also the oil drain galleries on the end of the block and the near side timing cover end of the deck, plus other stuff.

Ciao
Yeah, no worries here. My 2.0 block is definitely different than the one pictured. The 2.0s may be different according to year/source, but I can’t say for sure.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts