Ford Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
“The cracking blocks started with the Head Gasket fault and stopped happening after the Head Gasket fix”.

Theirs been NO new videos posted of broken blocks or white steam from the exhaust for 2+ years. Blocks don’t get stronger with age and the block design is still the same so why NO new cracked up blocks and why has the issue stopped.

ANSWER: It stopped as it as it was the wrong gasket fitted, right gasket fitted engine/block sorted.

As that Video was done at the height of the HeadGasket hysteria / fiasco. In that video the cracks happening at a twin wall part of the block surely an inch lower where it’s a single wall would be weaker, if it was a block issue like the video suggests which is total crap!!!
My 2016 that had the HG replaced in 2018 and was bone stock untill I put a mountune tune in it last fall cracked the rear of the block few days later.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
well it never happened if you didn't put it on YouTube....... :D :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
well it never happened if you didn't put it on YouTube....... :D :D
Would the work order with the mechanic describing how he tore apart the old engine to install everything back in the new BARE BLOCK do? I got shafted hard on that one. Silly me to at least expect a short block.(n) Then again I didn't want to make waves as they didn't see the PCM had been flashed.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Would the work order with the mechanic describing how he tore apart the old engine to install everything back in the new BARE BLOCK do? I got shafted hard on that one. Silly me to at least expect a short block.(n) Then again I didn't want to make waves as they didn't see the PCM had been flashed.
Yep, sure did. makes me wonder if they cleaned out the head bolt holes when they did the HG replacement as my theory goes.I also wonder if these cracked blocks are in locations where the ambient temp gets down to or below freezing at times. Any water/fluid trapped in the blind bolt holes will freeze and crack the block for sure. Maybe not coolant due to its low freezing point but water will for sure and maybe cutting fluid as well.

Ciao

·
Registered
800 Posts
I maintain that it is likely that the composition of the materials used to cast the block could well have been changed on the 17 and 18 models in light of the cracking on the 16’s in particular. No evidence to support this of course, but considering the multiple revisions of the headgasket, it would make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I maintain that it is likely that the composition of the materials used to cast the block could well have been changed on the 17 and 18 models in light of the cracking on the 16’s in particular. No evidence to support this of course, but considering the multiple revisions of the headgasket, it would make sense.

Possibly, I would like details of "C" gasket revisions as well if I could get them.

Ciao

·
Registered
800 Posts
Jessica Livernois may well have that detail. She was the one who advised me that the headgasket was up to its 9th revision.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well well - that’s timely. That cracking looks pretty bad; will have to stay close their page to see the next videos when they remove the head and check the gasket

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
No it's all good, that was not directed at you. If you read the previous posts you will see what I'm getting at.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well well - that’s timely. That cracking looks pretty bad; will have to stay close their page to see the next videos when they remove the head and check the gasket

Seems so, but I posted this theory a few years ago when it first started happening. Doesn't make it right of course but its a basic engineering principle when assembling an engine with blind fastener holes. Chev Gen111 head bolt holes are the same. Need to dried out before head bolt fitment or you can get issues.

Ciao

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank heavens for JB Weld, better buy at least two tubes...…......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The revised stock RS block, interesting, maybe they didn’t want to build it stronger or maybe the revisions were due to the metallurgy or a new design.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts