Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's to a new year, lets hope 2022 leaves 2021 in its smoke! To start the year off we at EBC Brakes would like to give you car enthusiasts the chance of winning one free set of pads (front or rear) for any vehicle of your choice. One randomly selected forum member can choose any pad from our entire range.

To enter for your chance to win, I would like you to share with us what you believe has been the number one mod/upgrade you have made to your vehicle that everyone should do?

The lucky winner will be randomly selected and announced within a few days after the closing date of 1st February 2022 and details will be posted on this forum within a few days of the closing date.

Please be aware that this thread may appear in more than one section on the forum and one winner will be selected from the whole forum, not a winner per thread.
Pad choice will be based on availability and where a chosen pad is unavailable, an alternative will be offered.

If you are not the lucky winner, EBC Brakes are pleased to be able to offer a 10% discount off their braking products to all members of the forum community using code FORUM10USER
This discount code can be redeemed at EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs or with our USA partners at Perfect Brakes | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Rotors

Any questions or application issues please let us know.

GOOD LUCK………

EBC Brakes’ Range of High-Performance Automotive Braking Products

When it comes to performance aftermarket braking components, there aren’t many names that are embedded as deeply into the scene as EBC Brakes.

EBC Brakes is an independently owned and managed brake manufacturer, employing over 400 people across the UK and US, and produces the world’s largest range of brake pads and discs for virtually anything with wheels.

Supplying some of the best-selling ranges of brake pads and rotors for the majority of cars, EBC Brakes is a solid choice when it comes to improving your stopping power.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
for me...it was the shifter cable bushings, cable bracket bushings, shifter base bushings (9 total).
it was tough shifting from 1-2 & 2-3 under full boost or high rpm with the soft rubber shifter assembly bushings...and having a short shifter plate installed.
1st - swapped the 2 cable bushings. felt better..but still spongy. still missed a lot of shifts.
2nd - the 3 cable bracket bushings. the bracket on the oem bushings wiggled easily, 6-7mm back n forth (this was the biggest difference). i was shocked at the better shifting ability.
3rd - 4 shifter base bushings - swapped em all and even better experience yet. the shifts / gear changes just seem to be sucked & locked into place.
BEFORE; i would miss on average 5 or 6 shifts a month
AFTER; i have not missed a shift since november 2020

when driving a manual 6 speed turbo charged track rat...every missed shift is a complete buzz-kill (boner to limp noodle)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definitely my Rock Guards from ZL1 Addons.

The paint on the RS is so fragile I thought my car had ectodermal dysplasia. I have to repair more paint chips on my RS every year than I did in total the whole time I owned my 2002 Mini Cooper S, which I had from 2002 until I traded it in for the RS in 2017.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Definitely my Rock Guards from ZL1 Addons.

The paint on the RS is so fragile I thought my car had ectodermal dysplasia. I have to repair more paint chips on my RS every year than I did in total the whole time I owned my 2002 Mini Cooper S, which I had from 2002 until I traded it in for the RS in 2017.
i agree...fragile paint

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Since 2006, every time I buy a new car I always get PPF and tint done.

The tint is secondary for me, but the PPF pays dividends for the protection it provides.

And recently ceramic coating on top of the PPF, my daughter's Chevy Spark got that treatment last May when I bought it.

While in the shop, a customer with a new Porsche getting a tint asked what's the Spark in for and the owner said PPF, tint and ceramic. The customer asked why (since its not a luxury car) and the shop owner (which is my friend) answered "why not?"

The Porsche owner asked to get the PPF and ceramic done on their car too. 🤣🤣🤣

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle
Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Sky

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts

The tint is secondary for me, but the PPF pays dividends for the protection it provides.

And recently ceramic coating on top of the PPF, my daughter's Chevy Spark got that treatment last May when I bought it.

While in the shop, a customer with a new Porsche getting a tint asked what's the Spark in for and the owner said PPF, tint and ceramic. The customer asked why (since its not a luxury car) and the shop owner (which is my friend) answered "why not?"

why not???
oh yeah
😏

·
Premium Member
951 Posts

PPF first I must agree! You can fix that POS OE undertray later 🤣

I got the bumper/hood/fenders/mirrors done after the dealer had to have the front cover resprayed since they damaged it during the HG recall. Frontend looks good still 4 years later so it was well worth it! Should have had a stripe added above the windshield too!

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
1,029 Posts
I agree with @big jim ... having a vague shifter was rather disappointing, and the bushings fixed that all up.

I'd say an ethanol blended tune was the biggest fun factor, but that requires a bunch of other parts first.

As a standalone part that I thought made a big difference on its own, I guess the rear motor mount made a decent difference.

·
Premium Member
2016 SG RS2
309 Posts
My first three were covered on the first 3 posts...lol

I am going with the suspenion upgrades I have made.

First was Eichbach Sport springs, then Whiteline sway bars and end links front and back.

Second was Massive front and rear strut bars, Summit Swave 4 point sub frame, exhaust tunnel, wishbone brace, front lower 3 point reinforcement side plates. Has really made a big difference with the Chasis. I went with this manufacturer to help keep the weight down vs some of the other manufacturers. They use flat aluminum bar.
SWAVE & SUMMIT 10mm front adjustable drop links for Focus RS MK3

Third was DSC Suspension controller. Totally changed the car for the better. Probably should of done this first but waited until the glitches were all figured out that they were having.

Drives so much smoother and the handling into the corners feels so much more planted.

Haven't been able to AutoX with all this done yet but on some back country roads it turns in great with little to no body roll.

I just had these installed last week as well. Whiteline Front Control Arm Anti-Lift and Caster Increase. Very interested to see if I can notice any change with these.

Basically I am happy where I am at engine performance wise and wanted to really focus on handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, it was the Clear Bra on the front end ... Having to drive my baby on the highway every day through construction areas, it's an amazing feeling that you know all of the gravel hitting your front end won't do any real damage, and no rock chips!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My first "mod" was a fuel filler locking cap lol. I didn't like the idea that our fuel filler is unsecured and anyone can pour something into our tanks. So I picked up a key locked filler cap. Peace of mind.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the number one mod that has made the most difference on my RS this past year has been up grading my brakes. I mainly track the car and from the factory it's a fairly well balanced car. The HP, Brakes, and Suspension work fairly well for track use from the factory. It's only when you begin to add power, track tires, and the "driver mod" you begin to see how inadequate the factory brakes and suspension really is. "Seat of the pants" I've made more reduction in track times by changing rotors, pads, and brake fluid for 2021.
Originally I went with Mountune Racing Pads, but to get better bite I went up to EBC Yellows (which I've used on my truck as well for the past 3 years) and then switched to EBC Blues. I can dive deeper into a corner with the Blues before apply the brakes, and that means faster track times. For my 2022 racing season, I plan on trying the RP-X full race pad and am keeping my fingers crossed that EBC comes up with an equivalent race pad for the rears.

The second most noticeable mod was when I had the car tuned for E-30, that is the way the RS should have come from the factory. The difference is night and day. In fact, after running E-30 and then switching back to 92 Octane ( highest Octane we get in Oregon) the car feels a little boring😴.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Window tint has always been my go-to for the first "mod". After that, An intercooler is a must. While the under trays from the factory are garbage, I have just been running naked since mine ripped off.

The best mod you can do after those is throw the 2.3 in the dumpster and build a 2.0. Ford wouldn't cover my car under warranty since it was at 61k when it windowed the block. Patiently waiting on my motor to arrive ... 25 weeks later :)

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the number one mod that has made the most difference on my RS this past year has been up grading my brakes. I mainly track the car and from the factory it's a fairly well balanced car. The HP, Brakes, and Suspension work fairly well for track use from the factory. It's only when you begin to add power, track tires, and the "driver mod" you begin to see how inadequate the factory brakes and suspension really is. "Seat of the pants" I've made more reduction in track times by changing rotors, pads, and brake fluid for 2021.
Originally I went with Mountune Racing Pads, but to get better bite I went up to EBC Yellows (which I've used on my truck as well for the past 3 years) and then switched to EBC Blues. I can dive deeper into a corner with the Blues before apply the brakes, and that means faster track times. For my 2022 racing season, I plan on trying the RP-X full race pad and am keeping my fingers crossed that EBC comes up with an equivalent race pad for the rears.

The second most noticeable mod was when I had the car tuned for E-30, that is the way the RS should have come from the factory. The difference is night and day. In fact, after running E-30 and then switching back to 92 Octane ( highest Octane we get in Oregon) the car feels a little boring😴.
I have recommended making RP's for the rear, will let the forum know if they become available :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts