Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Eating Tires (time for camber plates?)

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ToucanLife 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've had my RS for 4 months now and I've loved every day of owning it (even when I got a flat). Anyways, maybe I drive a little bit more often than most, I managed to run through my PS4S (brand new) in 1.5 months roughly. The outsides of the fronts were balding and the insides were on cords. Rears were fine (outsides were getting a little worn), truth be told I, stupidly, didn't think I'd need to rotate my tires sub 3k miles. Has anyone else had a similar problem? most people I've talked to suggested GC Camber plates to combat tire wear.

#2 · (Edited)
Take it to the dealer have them check and verify your alignment. I had my alignment done to spec within the first year of delivery to ensure I wouldn't be eating tires, free of charge.

#14 ·
Something similar to this has happened to me after a track weekend on Cup2's. I was running -2.5 camber at the front and very little toe-out and the inside tread of the front tires was worn out completely. Also, although the outside did not have that much wear it developed scars - whole chunks of the tires completely removed - possibly related to a) under-inflation and b) a couple of incidents where I gave it more steering angle than I should have while the car was pushing for the gravel (this happened rarely). Attached images of one of the fronts which was swapped to the rear at that point.

Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part Tread

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Automotive wheel system

#13 ·
Go back to whomever did the install and alignment. Something isn't right since your wear is excessive and it isn't within spec, have a discussion about getting that tire replaced due to the work done possibly caused the issue. Do you have any kind of road hazard? Last note, have you by chance ran over anything that could've knock anything out of whack? My car came with Cup 2s and I sold them off with 23 miles on them since those tires picked up everything from the local roads, switched over to MPSS for a few Ks and the pre-ship alignment checked/adjusted (the backend was a bit off) since then no issues, then I went to PS4s and still have yet to have any wear issues. I still have my MPSS mounted and they're at 90% tread.

#12 ·
Agreed on the observations (not the troll speculation) as this seems like a car with an effed up alignment.

Hard to imagine camber and- more likely- toe which is that far out of wack where it otherwise behaves OK. Could be a perfect storm of issues here too: tire pressures, alignment, driving style, road surfaces, etc.

At a minimum, sounds like we're all clear this ain't normal. ;-) Get it on an alignment rack pronto.

#15 ·
You have too much toe in, most likely positive numbers with that kind of wear (Should be -0.10 in the front, -0.15 in the rear). With the alignment that bad, I'm surprised you can't feel it while driving. It will be harder to start a turn, and will fight to pull back straight the whole time.

#17 ·
No, the OP.

Reactions: nviorres
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.