Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys nothing better then a good rumour. :) Earlier today I stopped at Mountune's HQ to get my ST Coilovers installed. I was talking to one of the reps there about e85 options. The rep informed me That Mountune was working on and testing fuel injectors where you could run e85 without the need of an aux fuel rail or possible without a high fuel pump. He told me if I could hold off it might be worth the wait. My goal is to keep my car primarily stock but I want to run e85 so this may be a good option. I'm not sure if other performance manufacturers already have this option but I thought I would share this rumour just in case.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Injectors alone? I'm a bit skeptical... I know Livernois claims to do it with injectors and upgraded fuel pump. I cannot not see how Mountune can deliver more fuel by injectors alone (you can have bigger injectors, but my guess is that you still need to be able to pressurize it enough to create the desired spray pattern, etc.)

Mountune already offers a cast intake manifold that has provisions and aux fuel rail, plus they sell a fuel rail "hardware kit" in the UK store and an upgraded fuel pump, so all they are really missing is injectors and a way to control it, so my guess is that they are doing testing on that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been running e85 with aux fuel for a few months now, no hiccups yet. I cant imagine a hpfp upgrade wont be necessary as well, which isnt a huge deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Injectors alone? I'm a bit skeptical... I know Livernois claims to do it with injectors and upgraded fuel pump. I cannot not see how Mountune can deliver more fuel by injectors alone (you can have bigger injectors, but my guess is that you still need to be able to pressurize it enough to create the desired spray pattern, etc.)

Mountune already offers a cast intake manifold that has provisions and aux fuel rail, plus they sell a fuel rail "hardware kit" in the UK store and an upgraded fuel pump, so all they are really missing is injectors and a way to control it, so my guess is that they are doing testing on that.
Yeah The Rep cannot go into too much detail so I don't know all the specifics but I am looking forward to their solution. I asked him why they do not have an aux fuel kit like some of the other tuners and they basically said it's a little too risky for them to run for Mass production.

·
Registered
306 Posts

They already sell a HFPF so I imagine if upgraded injectors are in their future those will go hand in hand. If they can do flex fuel no ports like Livernois that would be absolutely fantastic, but according to Livernois via Snox upgraded injectors aren't required if you're on stock turbo. So if it's true it lines up with their releases. Their turbo kit was released not terribly long ago.

·
Registered
790 Posts
  • Ya I’m not sure that the injectors are the hold up. Being the upgrade hpfp can run flex fuel with stock injectors. That would tell me that the pump is the weak link. I would also check to make sure it’s really flex fuel or e85. Not a huge deal but something you need to be sure of.
  • The injectors would be great for big turbo. Im able to do flex fuel with big turbo and injectors. It’s awsome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now For this discussion I have found out some good news that is related. Rumor is that mountune is set to release a full kit to run full E85. This kit will include the HPFP, fuel injectors, required e85 fuel lines as well as a "free" tuning period to promote the kit. So to clarify, you will be able to run full e85 with this kit and is a complete bolt on kit. The release date has yet to be determined. But IS coming soon....
(y)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
E85 has been done by others, but curious about a more "engineered" offering by Mountune.

So to clarify, is this a flex fuel set up or simply the ability to run full e85?
^This is the more important question! ...but I'm afraid I already know the answer (nope lol)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, I did. Just confirming that this is likely to be similar to the set up I am aware Livernois have. I have the Radium port injection / aux fuel set up with the Split Second controller - like that the back of the valves get washed but a true flex fuel would be a bit awesome. Maybe Haltech will come out with an ECU replacement at some point.

My concern re Mountune is the same as for all of their stuff - likely to be high quality, very expensive and you would be waiting a long time for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
So to clarify, is this a flex fuel set up or simply the ability to run full e85?

They are working with COBB for the provisions to set up flex fuel with this platform. No definitive answers yet, I was told to stand by...

If you're referring to the kits that are compatable with Subaru platforms then no. It is not a flex fuel set up yet, Mountune is still working with COBB to establish the provisions with the access port to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts

From what I've heard the kit does not use any sort of auxiliary fuel rail it simply uses larger DI injectors and a HPFP to supplement for full E85.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at Mountune on Tuesday getting my FMIC installed. Talked to one of the reps about this set up again. One of the reps was running the injectors and pump for further testing. After talking with him the kit will probably launch with full e85 no flex option. However, he said that after they prove this to be a viable option COBB will be more inclined to do the flex-fuel option which of course will be the best of both worlds. I think COBB will make the flex-fuel kit as with the addition of the Ranger and HP Ecoboost Mustang there will be more demand for it. The rep said to wait for about a month or two and it should be out. Crossing my fingers I would love to have an e85 Mountune set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts