Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey guys, resident Canadian here. No ethanol fuel anywhere near me, but I do have access to a supplier of e98 fuel in 205L (55Gallon) drums. How long do you think that fuel is good for in the drum as long as it is stored properly? I plan on just carrying a 5 gallon can in the back so when I fill at the station, I can mix the appropriate amount of e98 into 93 octane in the pump. Too much work? Is it worth the effort?
I wouldn't want to haul gas in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. It would stink and be dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey guys, resident Canadian here. No ethanol fuel anywhere near me, but I do have access to a supplier of e98 fuel in 205L (55Gallon) drums. How long do you think that fuel is good for in the drum as long as it is stored properly? I plan on just carrying a 5 gallon can in the back so when I fill at the station, I can mix the appropriate amount of e98 into 93 octane in the pump. Too much work? Is it worth the effort?
the drum I bought for our race car before handler that dropped it said to test it at 6months but they expect a year shelf life is stored properly.

depending on your mileage or if you know others that would like a to mix maybe split a drum?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
How's that help during a mixed fill up? You still need to calculate how much of each to use no or are we talking about different things?
Sure, I do a rough calculation then go drive for a couple miles so that the E85 and gas finishes mixing in the tank, then I look at my gauge. If I have to adjust a bit, I do. I'm usually +-1%, occasionally 2%. But the gauge tells you the percentage of ethanol so it also deals with any variation in the E85 ethanol content. Without the sensor and gauge you can get close but never know exactly what your % is at. I like to know I am on E30 because that's what the tune is assuming.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If you put some Lucas (or other brand) ethanol conditioner in your bulk I think that would be fine. I go to the E85 with 2 five-gallon containers to fill. When it's time to fuel up I just grab one in the RS and to the gas station, add the E85 then top off, leaving a little room for tweaking per the ethanol % gauge. Nowadays a good gas can won't stink as long as you don't get any on the outside. Harbor Freight sells one for ~$18.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awesome guys sounds great. As for hauling fuel in the car, only to and from the gas station (5miles) so not too worried about it so long as I'm clean about fueling. I can share the e98 with the drift car that runs it straight so I'll go through those barrels a little quicker.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Awesome guys sounds great. As for hauling fuel in the car, only to and from the gas station (5miles) so not too worried about it so long as I'm clean about fueling. I can share the e98 with the drift car that runs it straight so I'll go through those barrels a little quicker.
Or you could take some out for the drift car then mix in some 93 - instant E85, ready to pump! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
4 gallons of E85 in our RS (13.7 gallon) tank will get you E30. As mentioned, test the fuel. Especially when weather is changing.

Once you have mixed and are refilling, it is still easy.

Refilling at 3/4 tank:
1 gallon of E85 and top off with pump gas

Refilling at 1/2 tank:
2 gallons of E85 and top off with pump gas

Refilling at 1/4 tank:
3 gallons of E85 and top off with pump gas

Refilling while at empty:
4 gallons of E85 and top off with pump gas
Now there's something that's easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Be careful, a lot of pumps have stickers that say "E50-E80".
You should always test your ethanol content. Better to buy a cheap tester than to pay for a damaged engine.

Mmm - I'm not so sure about that - a lot of So Cal propel pumps tested 83-85%. I used to have a LSX454 Vette that ran on E85 and I went to places that consistently tested >80% and usually 83-85.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Guys

Does any tuner offer a drain tune? With my mustang, my tuner sent me a drain tune where i would disconnect the return line, put it in a cannister, flash the tune, turn key to accessory and the pumps would drain the entire tank of whatever fuel thats in there. Was just curious bc im pondering e30. Just worried for the long term effects on the lines and stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Guys

Does any tuner offer a drain tune? With my mustang, my tuner sent me a drain tune where i would disconnect the return line, put it in a cannister, flash the tune, turn key to accessory and the pumps would drain the entire tank of whatever fuel thats in there. Was just curious bc im pondering e30. Just worried for the long term effects on the lines and stuff.

Thanks
Never heard of that option from the 3 tuners I've used, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't come up with one. What's your main concern leaving the E30 in the tank? I only use the E30 for trackdays and extra hot days and I find I use it up pretty quickly enough that it doesn't sit for longer than a week.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I run e30 as daily and my tech has inspected the car numerous times and hasn’t found any excessive wear as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts