Ford Focus RS Forum banner

dumb loan repayment question

6K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  nicklulu 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how the loan works if I pay it all off in a lump sum? Is the interest already factored in to the principle? The finance dude showed me that if I was to technically pay it all off after the mandatory 45 day wait period I would pay only an extra $33 (I think it was 72 @ 2.56% for ~20k loan). Does this sound right?

#4 ·
You would just owe 45 days of interest. Take your balance, multiply by interest rate and divide by 365 that is your daily interest charge. You don't have to keep it 45 days that is when your first payment is due. You can pay it off once the bank creates your loan, that usually takes about 10 days.

#5 ·
No, interest is calculated each month based on the current principle. So you pay whatever the balance is, + the last months interest and the loan is done. Just paid mine off last week after 5 months of payments, bank closed the account and now I'm just waiting for the title.

#8 ·
IMO, best way to dig in and understand how loans like this work is to build your own amortization schedule excel sheet. then you can play around with it. If you want want to start with PM me your email address.

#10 ·
To make it easy to understand, say your rate is 12% and your balance is 10k (I know these numbers aren't realitstic).

The interest you pay on the first month would be 1% (12% / 12 months) of 10k = $100, leaving the rest to go to principal. Then the next months interest will be 1% of that remaining balance.

Like most have said, should be countless sites with amortization tables and calculators out there.

#11 · (Edited)
I think people who do not have a lot of money are familiar with this situation take a car on credit and then suffer paying off the loan for years so that this would not happen there are special sites that can consult you in the field of loans mortgages and much more .I had the same problem I almost took the car on a large loan but I was lucky I came across the website Mortgage Advice Cardiff on this site you can consult about mortgage loans a lot of other things .The first consultation is absolutely free . Those who have a problem where to get a choice must contact them they adapt to you and your situation .The site doesn't make sense to advertise because it doesn't want to lose its reputation. I recommend this site to everyone because this site is not the first year on the market.

#12 · (Edited)
I think people who do not have a lot of money are familiar with this situation take a car on credit and then suffer paying off the loan for years so that this would not happen there are special sites https://paydaysay.com/best-credit-repair-companies/ that can consult you in the field of loans mortgages and much more .I had the same problem I almost took the car on a large loan but I was lucky I came across the website Mortgage Advice Cardiff on this site you can consult about mortgage loans a lot of other things .The first consultation is absolutely free . Those who have a problem where to get a choice must contact them they adapt to you and your situation .The site doesn't make sense to advertise because it doesn't want to lose its reputation. I recommend this site to everyone because this site is not the first year on the market.
Thank you for sharing this information. But I think that it is better and safer to get a loan through a dealer.

#14 ·
You'll need to check your terms, but most loans today allow you to may extra principle only payments, or to simply pay it off early. These will be defined in your loan agreement paperwork.

That said, 100% of the loans I have had for my cars, and my house, allow for both principle only payments, and early pay-off.

If you pay it off, you will still have paid the interest that accrued, along with any one time loan costs.

If you want the best rates, look to Credit Unions. I usually find that Alliant Credit Union (and others) beat the more mainstream loan companies.

When I was buying my 2nd RS, the best the dealer could offer me was 3.25%, despite me having a Credit score over 800, and being in the best tier. Alliant Credit Union beat them with a 2.75%, so half percent better.

Course, now, interest rates are sky high and the 'best' on can usually hopeful is maybe 5%, but more likely 6-7% APR.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
It's great that you're considering paying off your loan early or making extra principle-only payments. Most loan agreements do allow for these options, but it's always a good idea to double-check your specific terms.
Did you see the date of the post you are replying to? I think he may well have sorted the loan in the almost 5 years that's passed since the original post? 🤣

#17 ·
Good financial should always be reposted or bumped.

That said, if you have a family member, who is a military member or veteran, I would look into Penfed credit union, or Navy Federal credit Union. Navy Fed requires that you have an immediate family member who is a military member such as a father or mother.

However, Navy Federal credit Union‘s rates are the best well over 1% better than even Alliant Credit Union which I thought was already good. Everyone else is at 6% or 7% Federal credit Union is under 5% so if you can get in get in , even if you’re not ready to shop for a loan become a member so that you’re already a member if you want to shop later.

Other than that looked at credit unions for loans versus bigger banks, also look for credit unions that have excellent saving rates because why wouldn’t you want free money on your savings account. Alliance gives me 3% on my savings account right now , I am looking for something closer to 4% if I can find one because why would I want 4% on the money that I have in my bank?

If you have money just sitting and you can afford to be locked away from it you could look into short term CDs, which will offer more money back than a savings account though .

I’m currently saving for my next toy car which I believe is going to be a Corvette C8 Z 51 with mag ride and competition seats. I plan on buying next year but if I can manage to stretch my money, I may use Navy Federal 96 month loan and go for the C8 Z06 instead. I know 96 months is a very long loan but if I can walk in with 40 to 50,000 down and take a 96 month loan, I will not be upside down and I believe the C8 Z06 will hold its money.

This post has been deleted