Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Actually I don't think I did. I just bought it second hand. Having looked up colours it is most likely magnetic gray. When I went looking for an rs I didn't mind what colour I got, it was all about condition and price.

Yes, being in Australia it will be Magnetic GREY.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ouch. I think the rally and skid plate should do the first two points. Looks like I'll have to get it on a hoist to see what I can do about the rat fur lengthways stuff. Not keen on having either brake or fuel lines damaged.

What happens with the rear diffuser? Is there any way of protecting the leading edge or is it hopeless. I guess it must be hopeless or you wouldn't run without it. Just a thought, is it easy to remove prior to an event and replace later. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brilliant!

Can't wait for updates

You may get higher than stock for the rear with Tractive. As well, I bet you'll come up with a solution to protect the shock wiring on the front - they exit the bottom of the shocks.

The nannies calmed down significantly once I upgraded the suspension. Go figure . . .

My Stratified tune broadened the power range, and changed overboost from unpredictable to accessible. Super happy!
I'll look into the stratified tune, sounds good. I've enquired about protecting the cabling. I'll let you know what happens.

I think the nannies only get upset when they detect something wrong. It is a bit like an lsd, you don't need one if you have good traction all round. I had to decide to either go KW with a lsd or tractive. Of, course, i wanted the lsd either way but no go for budget, I figured that, in most situations, the improved suspension control would mean I could get away without the expense of buying and fitting a lsd. It would be different if I was seriously rallying it, but i'm not.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ouch. I think the rally and skid plate should do the first two points. Looks like I'll have to get it on a hoist to see what I can do about the rat fur lengthways stuff. Not keen on having either brake or fuel lines damaged.

What happens with the rear diffuser? Is there any way of protecting the leading edge or is it hopeless. I guess it must be hopeless or you wouldn't run without it. Just a thought, is it easy to remove prior to an event and replace later. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Maybe other people’s experience are different but no way to easily remove the rear diffuser without breaking every single clip that hold it in. It’s hollow behind it and acts like a parachute for rocks and mud and snow. It gets so full it rips out the tabs anyways. Here’s a few photos of the ripped apart underbody protection and broken diffuser

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yuck, that's horrible. I see what you mean, Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to figure out what to do. Wonder what would hapoen if i filled the space brhind the diffuser with expandable foam, but maybe it flexes and lets stuff in anyway.

I'll let you know if I have any bright ideas. Btw, do you have a roll cage?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No rollcage. I do pleasure track days, ice racing, autocross etc. I planned to get a bolt in half cage but my wife and I are expecting our first born in June so until the RS becomes a weekend only car I’ll have to keep it semi-family friendly

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe other people’s experience are different but no way to easily remove the rear diffuser without breaking every single clip that hold it in. It’s hollow behind it and acts like a parachute for rocks and mud and snow. It gets so full it rips out the tabs anyways. Here’s a few photos of the ripped apart underbody protection and broken diffuser

View attachment 338539
View attachment 338540
View attachment 338541
View attachment 338542

Jesus!! Thats insane!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No rollcage. I do pleasure track days, ice racing, autocross etc. I planned to get a bolt in half cage but my wife and I are expecting our first born in June so until the RS becomes a weekend only car I’ll have to keep it semi-family friendly
I'm hoping I can get a bolt in half cage which still lets me take people in the back. It's a big compromise but a half cage like that has to be better than nothing. I've had the odd huge roll in rallying, you know, nothing happens for a few years and then a while combination of circumstances catches up. I really really like cages! Btw did you see Ott tanaks roll in the Monte Carlo rally. He was bloody lucky he hit pine trees of about 5 inch diameter to slow it down. We always call such trees catch trees as they are good to roll through as they absorb energy. Scary stuff.

Anyway, the RS is fast enough and I drive it hard enough on technical tarmac that I think a cage is good. Going to get schroth quickfit harnesses too just to be better located. They work well with the existing safety systems .

Good luck and enjoy the family. My wife is a professional cellist and, before we had kids, the roll cage in the tx3 was checked that it could fit a cello. Now there's a first!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm hoping I can get a bolt in half cage which still lets me take people in the back. It's a big compromise but a half cage like that has to be better than nothing. I've had the odd huge roll in rallying, you know, nothing happens for a few years and then a while combination of circumstances catches up. I really really like cages! Btw did you see Ott tanaks roll in the Monte Carlo rally. He was bloody lucky he hit pine trees of about 5 inch diameter to slow it down. We always call such trees catch trees as they are good to roll through as they absorb energy. Scary stuff.

Anyway, the RS is fast enough and I drive it hard enough on technical tarmac that I think a cage is good. Going to get schroth quickfit harnesses too just to be better located. They work well with the existing safety systems .

Good luck and enjoy the family. My wife is a professional cellist and, before we had kids, the roll cage in the tx3 was checked that it could fit a cello. Now there's a first!
@RoughRoadDD LMK which cage you are looking at? I am interested too.

Yes, Ott and co-driver were very lucky.

I have the Schroth Quick Fit Pro and really like it. It buries me in the seat and I have a short torso so I sit really low.

Pic for reference:

·
Registered
18 Posts
@RoughRoadDD LMK which cage you are looking at? I am interested too.

Yes, Ott and co-driver were very lucky.

I have the Schroth Quick Fit Pro and really like it. It buries me in the seat and I have a short torso so I sit really low.

Pic for reference:
View attachment 338760
Love the pics. What is the performance gap between the rs and the rest of the pack behind? Was a well driven rs in the hunt. I reckon our competitive is best on technical rally tarmac??

I'll let you know as I have a quality Australian roll cage manufacturer in mind. I want one where the back seats are still useable, which is a huge compromise of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm. All the bolt in cages mean the rear seats cannot be used. I guess I could get a custom halfcage built and preferably bridge gusseted to the existing b pillar, to give significantly more strength.But this seems all too hard so I think I will not do it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Love the pics. What is the performance gap between the rs and the rest of the pack behind? Was a well driven rs in the hunt. I reckon our competitive is best on technical rally tarmac??

I'll let you know as I have a quality Australian roll cage manufacturer in mind. I want one where the back seats are still useable, which is a huge compromise of course.
It really depends on the driver and how much risk they want to take but both these guys were pushing and passed me in the next corner. Our turbo 4 cylinder engine and porky cars do not match up, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It really depends on the driver and how much risk they want to take but both these guys were pushing and passed me in the next corner. Our turbo 4 cylinder engine and porky cars do not match up, lol.
Hardly surprising. We need to take the fight to a twisty tarmac rally road to even the odds a bit. Make them have to be even braver and take advantage of the more rally aspects of RS.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts