Ford Focus RS Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
would the fortune controller be similar to the tractive controller?
https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/remotedampercontroller/

To the DSC folks here:
  1. Over-all, minus the issues people are having above, is it worth it for daily driving and track use?
  2. Would the DSC controller work with other coilover kits? i.e. KW DDCs, fortune-auto 500s, 510s, PRO 2-way or any of the BC Racing coilovers?
    - I'm guessing the answer is no for the BC Racing and fortune-auto coilovers since I don't see any indicator that they are active. The KW one's are active and supposedly plug and play to the OEM system, but maybe would/could be better with the DSC controller, if it works with them.
That fortune controller looks similar to what TEIN had back in the day

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't use my car for track (partially cuz I have no idea how to get to one in upstate New York), but for a DD Tractive+DSC is just fantastic. My SO actually fell asleep in the passenger seat on the most recent road trip on "normal" setting - something that never happened before. Normal and Sport are dramatically distinct now with the latter feeling close to the old Sport, but way more forgiving on imperfections. Normal in standard configuration is actually a bit too floaty for day-to-day or spirited driving imo, but it's fine for long highway trips where I don't necessarily care about handling either, so it's a good compromise mode. Sport is in a perfect spot. I was doing some fun driving through mountainous roads with a buddy, and he commented how much more planted the vehicle felt compared to his Porsche 944. He specifically pointed out a spot where a big curve had a dip in it, which had a propensity for kicking his back tires out. The Tractive/DSC setup went over that like nothing happened without losing any grip or handling. There's also far less "thud" noise from bumps and joints like you get with highway travel. Some joints would feel like I just drove over a brick before with an accompanying rattling thud sound. No longer the case! POGO is not a thing anymore at all. The floaty normal mode can get a bit bouncy on repeated imperfections, though not like in the old pogo way, more just feeling the road bumps, but sport does not at all as it stiffens much quicker between oscillations.

For reference, I had the original revision of the stock shocks (early 2016 MY). I don't know what it's like coming from a later rev.

• Love
Reactions: FU3LD

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes as per Braaps description above; as a daily driver they are awesome put on a set of H&R or Eibach springs and their even better.

The later car dampers are more of the same but just much better.

Stay with the OEM dampers as the KWDDC are just basically a coil over of the factory damper as both have the same valving.

DSC support
1/ OEM
2/ Tractive
3/ KW DDC

·
Registered
644 Posts
From Tractive regards their controller

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I’m sorry to hear your having issues with your DSC controller.
Have you reached out to them already? I’m sure they offer some sort of solution for you as it’s not common that these fail.

We as TracTive only offer a standalone solution, this completely ditches the original controls and work thru our touchscreen.

In my opinion, this is not a solution for the Focus with the onboard controls and all the sensors the car uses. Switching to a standalone system requires a lot of work and requires a cancellation kit for the original system. Next to that, the standalone system only works with the TracTive dampers.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
So I have the dreaded "LR Open" error again. The car has been doing it's normal "works most of the time, then some times, then goes stiff partway through a drive, now full stiff" routine. This is time #3 or 4.

Did some troubleshooting of the issue. The LR open error would show always, so I disconnected the RR to troubleshoot. Sometimes it would show open, sometimes not.

Long story short, I checked all the corners with a voltmeter. The LF connector showed open with the voltmeter where it meets the stock wiring harness. I think I found the problem.

I've been treating LR Open as an "idiot light" that something is electrically wrong, not necessarily in the LR, and it seems to have proven correct this time around. I'll be writing DSC and asking for the upgraded intermediate wiring for the fronts.

Reactions: FU3LD

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
So I have the dreaded "LR Open" error again. The car has been doing it's normal "works most of the time, then some times, then goes stiff partway through a drive, now full stiff" routine. This is time #3 or 4.

Did some troubleshooting of the issue. The LR open error would show always, so I disconnected the RR to troubleshoot. Sometimes it would show open, sometimes not.

Long story short, I checked all the corners with a voltmeter. The LF connector showed open with the voltmeter where it meets the stock wiring harness. I think I found the problem.

I've been treating LR Open as an "idiot light" that something is electrically wrong, not necessarily in the LR, and it seems to have proven correct this time around. I'll be writing DSC and asking for the upgraded intermediate wiring for the fronts.

Crazy!

Have you tried hardwiring the connections? Those connectors were problematic . . .

I'm mostly trouble free - with just a few 'drive mode unavailable' errors when selecting from the stalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Crazy!

Have you tried hardwiring the connections? Those connectors were problematic . . .

I'm mostly trouble free - with just a few 'drive mode unavailable' errors when selecting from the stalk
Yes, the connectors leave a lot to be desired. I've found it really easy for the connectors to slide apart, so each one of my connectors is taped together with wire harness cloth tape. I've fortunately not had to deal with any open circuit issues.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had the new black / yellow connectors and was charged for the 8 not the insignificant sum of £160 (UK) for the ends and new wire.

So be prepared they may wish to drop you an invoice.

Drive mode errors I’ve put down to the exhaust valve sticking closed occasionally. As even when full stiff happens which is currently all the time the drive modes are still available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Short question: if the settings in the DSC Controller between Sport and Track are the same, is it in real the same?

Or does the switch of the Focus to track ad something to the values?

So - the base calibration for stock dampers has the same settings in sport and track?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Short question: if the settings in the DSC Controller between Sport and Track are the same, is it in real the same?
Yes, the dampers follow the configurations set up in the DSC Controller modes. If two are the same, the damper behavior would not change between them, it's operating under the direction of the configuration.

Or does the switch of the Focus to track ad something to the values?
No, there is no real time editing or additional ability to edit the values aside from the DSC program.

So - the base calibration for stock dampers has the same settings in sport and track?
It's been a while since I've looked and I don't have a copy in front of me but I don't remember this as the case. Have you downloaded the latest copy from their website to make sure you are looking at an official release from DSC?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I called DSC yesterday. They had a car in last week with the full stiff issue. Repinning the original intermittent cable worked for only a few days. Replacing the cable was the permanent fix. Now they're out of cables, saying that they're waiting for the new sole vendor to get them supplies.

@White-RS2 I'm expecting to have to pay for cables. 160 GBP is really steep for some copper and connectors.

·
Registered
2017 NB Focus RS; RS2, Sunroof, FP exhaust, Mountune IC, DSC Sport suspension, Livernois tune.
127 Posts
I called DSC yesterday. They had a car in last week with the full stiff issue. Repinning the original intermittent cable worked for only a few days. Replacing the cable was the permanent fix. Now they're out of cables, saying that they're waiting for the new sole vendor to get them supplies.

@White-RS2
That was actually my car..
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

...well, I hope the replacement cable is a permanent fix. Took three trips to the shop to get it to this point. They re-pinned the left rear, and replaced both fronts.

Reactions: DeanHart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, the dampers follow the configurations set up in the DSC Controller modes. If two are the same, the damper behavior would not change between them, it's operating under the direction of the configuration.

No, there is no real time editing or additional ability to edit the values aside from the DSC program.

It's been a while since I've looked and I don't have a copy in front of me but I don't remember this as the case. Have you downloaded the latest copy from their website to make sure you are looking at an official release from DSC?
ok, thanks, just want to get shure, that it's like this.

because I have had a "Eibach"-Version, and looked in that, sport mode was up to 1500mA and tracke only 1000 oer 1200...

so I tink, I'll do my own caliration, Base, Sport, Track and take the Track to the "hardest" level....

·
Registered
105 Posts
ok, thanks, just want to get shure, that it's like this.

because I have had a "Eibach"-Version, and looked in that, sport mode was up to 1500mA and tracke only 1000 oer 1200...

so I tink, I'll do my own caliration, Base, Sport, Track and take the Track to the "hardest" level....
Eibach version of the Tractive shocks? Which version did you buy? the TRAC-FO-Axx03 ??

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
no - sorry, only eibach springs, with stock dampers.
A guy in my neighborhood had a version (done by DSC?) specialley for the Eibach Springs...
DSC will have a good effect of softening the dampers in low gForce conditions

Negligible in any other situation - the stock dampers can't switch fast enough

141 - 156 of 156 Posts