Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there a discount coupon offer?
I'm on the fence for the whole shebang, the controller is qued for purchase however.

·
Registered
900 Posts
wow, i was shocked to see the price asked for this suspension kit. I'd have expected the controller to come with it, as a bundled discount or something, for that kind of money.

#NOtroll: I'm not seeing how the cost difference is justified over a kit like the KW Active DDC system. I mean we're talking about almost $1k difference here. Even more if you compare to the Litchfield KW Active DDC-based setup.
I know both DSC and KW make top tier goodies, or at least I've heard as such for years from lots of people in the subaru world, and since owning an RS.

Are these made of superior materials and parts? Come with camber plates, or other value-adds that i'm missing? or maybe it's just down to a smaller manuf. that can't get the cost down?

edit: i just watched the DSC tractive dyno video. That is super informative and well done. I did watch that when it first came out too, but half forgot about it. I'd love to see a video comparing DSC's dampers to those of the KW kit, or the Litchfield variant even. People looking at this level of kit would appreciate seeing the applies-apples comparison on a graph, and have someone who understands those numbers like the gentleman in this video explain how those numbers will feel in a car.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
wow, i was shocked to see the price asked for this suspension kit. I'd have expected the controller to come with it, as a bundled discount or something, for that kind of money.

#NOtroll: I'm not seeing how the cost difference is justified over a kit like the KW Active DDC system. I mean we're talking about almost $1k difference here. Even more if you compare to the Litchfield KW Active DDC-based setup.
I know both DSC and KW make top tier goodies, or at least I've heard as such for years from lots of people in the subaru world, and since owning an RS.

Are these made of superior materials and parts? Come with camber plates, or other value-adds that i'm missing? or maybe it's just down to a smaller manuf. that can't get the cost down?

edit: i just watched the DSC tractive dyno video. That is super informative and well done. I did watch that when it first came out too, but half forgot about it. I'd love to see a video comparing DSC's dampers to those of the KW kit, or the Litchfield variant even. People looking at this level of kit would appreciate seeing the applies-apples comparison on a graph, and have someone who understands those numbers like the gentleman in this video explain how those numbers will feel in a car.

Cheers

I agree, and am eager for feedback from RS installations and/or KW comparison.

DSC/Tractive has the potential, where are the 'rubber meets the road' reviews?

THX

·
Registered
2,891 Posts

Cheers
Easy, the KW DDC/Litchfields are still 2-mode dampers just like the OEMs, albeit more "tuned"/customized for a better ride. The way I understand it, DSC tractive suspension is more "active" and has much more control over the damping (valve) and reacts to whatever the controller sees. I think that's where the extra cost is coming from. Just depends on what you are looking for. I'm quite happy with my Litchfields.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yo Flip, i think you might be correct in saying that. I thought the way i was hearing it from the video was that the valve is infitely adjustable effectively. It's almost like it is analog(1, ~increments, 0), as opposed to digital (1,0 only).

However, am i not correct in saying that the DSC kit, without the DSC controller, is still only working on the aforementioned digital mode? Normal and Sport for lack of a better terminology. ....
after all, the FocusRS has 1 and 0 for suspension settings, right? without the DSC controller, the fancy infinitely adjustable DSC dampers are just 2 way again, no?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The controller will allow any active damper to be dynamic. It's just a matter of the quality level of the active damper in question.

The controller gives the car a fully active damper controller versus the stock setup of either on / off.

So ultimately it'll benefit any setup - Not just the tractive's. That being said, you'd have to spend the time tuning/calibrating any other setup as DSC isn't going to provide an off the shelf calibration file for any other brand.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Yo Flip, i think you might be correct in saying that. I thought the way i was hearing it from the video was that the valve is infitely adjustable effectively. It's almost like it is analog(1, ~increments, 0), as opposed to digital (1,0 only).

However, am i not correct in saying that the DSC kit, without the DSC controller, is still only working on the aforementioned digital mode? Normal and Sport for lack of a better terminology. ....
after all, the FocusRS has 1 and 0 for suspension settings, right? without the DSC controller, the fancy infinitely adjustable DSC dampers are just 2 way again, no?
Correct. Without the DSC controller to take advantage of the additional control, I would guess that the tractive dampers would just be functioning just as the OEMs do. Like you, I'm surprised that it doesn't automatically come with it as a package.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Correct. Without the DSC controller to take advantage of the additional control, I would guess that the tractive dampers would just be functioning just as the OEMs do. Like you, I'm surprised that it doesn't automatically come with it as a package.
I would seriously consider the DSC kit if it did.

Maybe i missed it somewhere, what is the lowered ride height, at maximum adjustable ride height for the DSC kit?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree, and am eager for feedback from RS installations and/or KW comparison.

DSC/Tractive has the potential, where are the 'rubber meets the road' reviews?

THX
Ahem, so i found DSC Sport on facebook. They posted a comparison of the RS with stock suspension and the DSC setup on the track here: https://www.facebook.com/TractiveSuspension/videos/520139485101401/?hc_ref=ARQIBY2b4J5WhTOIQw4uQbNoj6UYWruModh6cYWHcUklJKvJH22UF8DbtMBqZ8wKkOQ&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDpLQosz1uj2bVS_7uWbTuijpPSwAzWUkiSzTTSE5Wk9XEo5sWWHA2UNaG6oP1gRezft7prV42L9IdHE8mQb6w3fh9ZOQhSDE2qiaOOXWtXhwq9JE3BBUtSZ2_K9B6abPOlx5vna0lNqSnyGakuiEA7AexAXzoqoqFQG8CXqlGt3dqcf32Wew&__tn__=FC-R

Even without commentary from the drivers, i dare say the DSC car seems a lot more sorted.

I don't know if this is suspension, or controller only, or both. I think it's controller only?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I should revise my comments on price. I'd say, however, that it would be a lot less painful if when you bought either the controller of susp. kit, you got a heavy discount on the other. Something like that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Autobahn video, and in-town (cobbled?) streets comparison, with subtitles:

This is posted by Mebu autosports i believe, so.... there is no DSC controller used here, or no mention of it anyhow.
edit #2: checked out the mebu website. The only way they sell this suspension is with the controller, as a package. I'm going to assume it is installed in this car in the video.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
The dampers need the controller. To feel better about costs, their RS package is much cheaper than any of their other car suspension packages . . .

The biggest penalty check for us is the canadian import / exchange. I may try to have them installed in the USA if I bite the bullet.

There is a fair amount of info on the web! As well DSC has a development RS

For reasonable cost, good results have been reported with ST XTA coilovers. Includes top mounts. No DDC, so you'll have to quickly turn on normal dampers via stalk if going to track mode.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
The dampers need the controller. To feel better about costs, their RS package is much cheaper than any of their other car suspension packages . . .

The biggest penalty check for us is the canadian import / exchange. I may try to have them installed in the USA if I bite the bullet.

There is a fair amount of info on the web! As well DSC has a development RS

For reasonable cost, good results have been reported with ST XTA coilovers. Includes top mounts. No DDC, so you'll have to quickly turn on normal dampers via stalk if going to track mode.
If you make the FORScan change, you can make a custom drive mode that eliminates the need to quickly change the stick.
DriveMode.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: DeanHart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tractive Dampers Review

My thoughts on the DSC Sport Controller and Tractive Suspension, which I installed in stages so can comment on the effects of both.

First some background - I’ve been a car enthusiast all my life, and have been fortunate to own many high performance sports sedans (including an E34 M5 and a ’94 Mercedes E500 when it was assembled by Porsche). Decided to get an ’18 RS (nitrous blue — build date Sept. 17, 2018) as a fun all round car that could be a DD, including during the winter months here in the Northeast.

I drove it stock from the day I picked it up (day before Thanksgiving) though mid-January when I purchased the DSC Sport Controller. I know that the stock suspension has been improved through various builds and the ’18 is said to be a bit more compliant (fronts G1FY-18B060-AD, G1FY-18B061-AD, rears G1FY-18W02-AD. If anyone is interested in these — only 3200 miles on them, PM me).

My experience was that the stock controller/suspension combo was tolerable, but every imperfection in the road was transmitted unfiltered to the steering wheel and the cabin, and the car did not pass the SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor), except on smooth tarmac. Here in southwest Connecticut there are many roads with broken pavement, uneven patches, cracks and expansion joints that challenge any tire/suspension setup. In fact, I’ve gotten wheel/tire insurance on all my cars given how easy it is to crack a rim in a water filled pothole, particularly at night.

After installing the Controller, I noticed a mild improvement. In particular, a reduction in the washboard effect (the car bouncing in cyclical fashion from series of small imperfections over a stretch of road). The Controller software improved the ride, but within the limits of the stock shocks. Still, it’s impressive what the DSC Sport software can do.

Several weeks ago, I installed the Tractive Kit (done by my local shop who work on many high performance and vintage cars), keeping the stock ride height.

The car is transformed, essentially unlocking an “inner GT” that is reminiscent of those high-performance sports sedans I owned and loved all those years. Those small imperfections that were the biggest issue I had — you can feel them, but in a very damped manner, and they do not upset the tracking of the car — in all three modes. Yet at the same time the car corners as sharp as I remember the much less forgiving stock dampers. And it seems to be steadier in off camber turns and variable radius corners, as the suspension reacts faster to changing conditions. These are of course, all subjective opinions — but yesterday the mechanic who did the installation rode in it with me and he also found the transformation remarkable. And we have now passed the SAF.

I know that this package is on the expensive side compared to other potential solutions. I wanted something that was fully integrated into the car’s control systems (drive mode selection and stalk mounted damper setting). As much fun as the car was before, the performance envelope is now much wider, and the car even more enjoyable, as the one glaring compromise is now gone.

I understand that I was one of the first to purchase the Tractive kit — written instructions were not yet available. But Harris and the DSC techs are very responsive and helpful. Count me as a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry typo. build date was Sept. 17, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your experience. What I am wondering, is if the car is more comfortable, more compliant in the normal ( softest ) suspension setting than it was with the stock suspension setup? If so, how much? I know it's difficult to quantify comfort, but when it passed the SAF, what did your spouse have to say? Was it softer, or just less jittery/jarring/crashy?

I ask because I am thinking about purchasing the Tractive dampers and springs to use with the DSC controller I already have, but it is comfort I am looking for more than anything.

Will I be happy with my purchase or should I perhaps look elsewhere?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks vtraveler for the review of the system. This is the exact type of sentiment that I was hoping to hear about in regards to the full setup. While expensive, if it truly does transform the car into a GTesk car, that's exactly what I'm looking for out of a new suspension setup. With that type of transformation I feel the RS could stay in the stable for a really long time (which is the hope). Looks like I need to start saving my pennies so I can drop in next summer.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Tractive dampers in stock ready to ship, less the set I just ordered!

Thanks for all the reviews Folks, I'll be adding my mine soon.

This system is programmable and I'm confident my needs can be met . . .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your experience. What I am wondering, is if the car is more comfortable, more compliant in the normal ( softest ) suspension setting than it was with the stock suspension setup? If so, how much? I know it's difficult to quantify comfort, but when it passed the SAF, what did your spouse have to say? Was it softer, or just less jittery/jarring/crashy?

I ask because I am thinking about purchasing the Tractive dampers and springs to use with the DSC controller I already have, but it is comfort I am looking for more than anything.

Will I be happy with my purchase or should I perhaps look elsewhere?
In the normal setting the DSC Sport dampers can be just as firm as the stock setting, but the compliance is the big difference. All those road imperfections that caused the car to bounce around with the stock suspension are damped with the DSC Sport Tractive kit. You can still feel the road imperfections, but the car absorbs them in a manner that doesn't cause the car to shake and deflect with every bump/ripple. My wife likes to do email/text in the passenger seat. With the stock suspension she'd be unable to do so on most roads without being bounced into a typo. With the DSC Sport kit, she commented that the ride was more comfortable.

And as I noted in the review, in the corners the car tracks just as well, if not better, because the suspension can adjust so much faster over a wider range than stock. My real-world experience validates the technical explanation in the video below: more compliant, particularly at low speeds while firmer and more precise at high speeds and in corners.

I'm very happy with the purchase, although I acknowledge that it's on the expensive side at ~$5K.

41 - 60 of 594 Posts