Ford Focus RS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
For a track toy, spend the money elsewhere. Hell, it may even be worth going with a different set of (racing) coilovers if you trailer the car to the events.

Now, if the car is your DD and you like to goof around, the full setup starts to become worth it. The limiting factor for comfort quickly becomes the short wheelbase with the full setup.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Reference this post and the following posts from user @juiceraptor. That's about as close to getting the information you're asking for, at least that I've seen on the forums. 99% of the other feedback I've seen are from folks running the controller on the street. That's not to say there isn't more people running the controller on the track, I just haven't seen it.

that's me. love my dsc with oem dampers on eibach springs

·
Registered
955 Posts
And Voila!

I sent my Tractive shocks to Jeremy Martien at DSC Sport to have him perform the Tractive Camber/Caster plate adaptation. I absolutely can not say enough good things about Jeremy and this experience once they gave me the green light that they were ready to perform the adaptation. We talked through scope of work, parts, options, shipping, price, you name it. He did everything in his power to help me out. He jumped on the adaptation as soon as he received them and sent them back the same day! The end result is a beautiful work of art. I've got some other suspension parts to install before I get the car back on the road for a review, but for now, enjoy the pics.

Also, thanks @clisica7 , I'm putting your springs to good use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
And Voila!

I sent my Tractive shocks to Jeremy Martien at DSC Sport to have him perform the Tractive Camber/Caster plate adaptation. I absolutely can not say enough good things about Jeremy and this experience once they gave me the green light that they were ready to perform the adaptation. We talked through scope of work, parts, options, shipping, price, you name it. He did everything in his power to help me out. He jumped on the adaptation as soon as he received them and sent them back the same day! The end result is a beautiful work of art. I've got some other suspension parts to install before I get the car back on the road for a review, but for now, enjoy the pics.

View attachment 348496

View attachment 348497

View attachment 348500

View attachment 348501

View attachment 348502
Awesome, looks good! Best of luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
And Voila!

View attachment 348496

View attachment 348497

View attachment 348500

View attachment 348501

View attachment 348502
Those are almost too pretty to put on the car. I'd love to hear your take on the ride and NVH if used on a DD.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
And Voila!

How do they attach to the shock/strut tower? As in does the thick black plate go on the top of the shock tower, or does it all mount from underneath?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
And Voila!

View attachment 348496

View attachment 348497

View attachment 348500

View attachment 348501

View attachment 348502
Also, price all-in with the likely refresh of the dampers?

·
Registered
955 Posts
How do they attach to the shock/strut tower? As in does the thick black plate go on the top of the shock tower, or does it all mount from underneath?
I've yet to actually do the install but it should all mount from underneath. They are similar in adjustment to the Vorshlag design.

Also, price all-in with the likely refresh of the dampers?
That's probably a better question for Jeremy as I didn't ask for a refresh so no idea there. Jeremy was very open to how you wanted to approach the adaptation from just wanting the parts to assembling the entire coilover with springs. I only asked for the plate to be adapted and did everything else myself so your pricing my vary. If there's any interest, please reach out to Jeremy.

Parts for the adaptation include:
Camber/Caster plate
New top pin
Bushings for top pin
Spring top hat
Spring top hat retainer

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Looks to be a very nice quality design, very similar to the Vorshlags from what I can tell, with both camber and caster adjustment. This definitely bumps it up a level or two on the performance scale.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Did you ever have issues with understeer? If so, were you able to fix it with programming?
I had uploaded the Kacper rdu tune before plugging in the DSC box. so that definitely fixed any understeer i would have had.
I have kept the DSC settings as normal..no adjustments yet.
feels pretty great in tight round-abouts and such. I'm adding an eibach rear sway bar, Shimmer rear subframe brace, and Shimmer rear strut brace soon too. that I'm sure will help even more.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I had uploaded the Kacper rdu tune before plugging in the DSC box. so that definitely fixed any understeer i would have had.
I have kept the DSC settings as normal..no adjustments yet.
feels pretty great in tight round-abouts and such. I'm adding an eibach rear sway bar, Shimmer rear subframe brace, and Shimmer rear strut brace soon too. that I'm sure will help even more.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I'm setting up to do the updated shocks with Mountune springs & am thinking seriously about a controller after I've got it all installed & aligned. I've read posts by a few others that used the controller with OEM dampers that stated that understeer could be fixed by tweaking the controller configuration. It sounds like tuning the RDU is yet another path to curing that.

Sorry to the rest if I've hijacked your thread. Please carry on. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Understeer? RS doesn’t understeer, get on the power earlier and make it torque vector like Ford designed it to.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
And Voila!

View attachment 348496

View attachment 348497

View attachment 348500

View attachment 348501

View attachment 348502
Can you provide an update on how you like the new setup? I saw elsewhere that the camber plates increase NVH quite a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Can you provide an update on how you like the new setup? I saw elsewhere that the camber plates increase NVH quite a bit.

Thanks!
Hey sorry for such a delay on getting some feedback out on the new setup. Working on the car had to sit on the back burner for a bit.

I've not put a lot of miles on the setup because I've still got some work to do on the rear suspension and then it will need an alignment but I have taken the car through some familiar roads. Along with the camber/caster plate adaptation, I also replaced the original springs (280 lb/in) with 7k (392 lb/in) swift springs.

So far I'm really liking this setup. For initial testing, the plates are set on maximum negative camber and positive caster. With the springs, I can tell it rides a bit stiffer than before but it hasn't made the ride uncomfortable at all. Car is still very pleasant in touring (Normal drive) mode.

As for the plates, I do notice that the Tractive plates introduced some very slight road noise and harshness felt at the footwell when suspension moves with road undulations but definitely nothing excessive. No other vibrations, rattling, looseness, or other mechanical noises have been introduced that I can tell. I did make some rubber spring isolators but I'm not sure how much of a difference those made.

Overall, I'm very happy with the tradeoff as I also was concerned about introducing a large amount of NVH, which IMO, these do not. I would have no problem driving with these plates every day and I'm not very tolerant of NVH.

I may start a different thread to go into other details but for now here are some pics of final install:

Front is set to factory height.

·
Registered
802 Posts
How does DSC+Tractive compare for a DD to DSC+stock? Are impacts harder, softer? What's the spring rate like on the Tractive coilovers compared to stock? I am trying to get at least a description of a difference in feel for a comparison. Considering the setup, but not sure what to expect. I intend to run these at stock height because any lower and I'll beach myself somewhere. Would love to try it, but between Rona and there likely not being one of these near me (Upstate NY), that's unlikely to happen.

What's the typical price for the 30k maintenance? I guess what's the time? I imagine the shop would charge by the hour. I am not even entirely sure where this service could be done as NY seems to be a dead-zone for DSC dealers. Shops in CT and NJ have not responded. Official Tractive dealers are just DSC though according to their map, and that's a hike.

One more: Has the Tractive setup been tested in winter? Is it a suitable year-round setup?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I definitely wouldn't drive anything decent that I intended to keep in the winter in NY state. I have family that live in NY (near Buffalo/Erie) and everything they drive in winter rusts/corrodes into junk within 2-3 years. It's so bad they come down to Virginia, buy nice late-model used vehicles here, drive them into rusty dust in NY and throw them away. It saves money on the depreciation of new vehicles and they drive nice(r) vehicle that way. If they buy a "keeper", they just don't drive if for about 6 months of the year, because the road maintenance sucks.

541 - 560 of 594 Posts