Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC Sport Control Module for KW DDC NOW AVAILABLE!

focus rs controller.jpg

View attachment DSC_0939.jpg IMG-2158.JPG

After doing testing on our shock dyno and working with clients who have the KW DDC shocks on their Focus RS cars, we now have a calibration file released! If you have a DSC Sport controller for your stock shocks and purchased the KW DDC package, you can download the KW calibration file from our website at no cost and use it with the KW shocks. Here is a link to the calibration files on our website: DSC Sport Calibration Files. The shocks are still a two position shock like factory, but we have made our controller to have the electronic valve work in an active range. There is a limited range, but from what we could see on our dyno and from user reviews, it works very well. Not only does it help with the comfort in the Normal Drive Mode, but the handling has become better than using the shock package with the stock controller.

Here is a link to the controller. It is still the same controller that we made for the car with the stock shock package and the shock package we sell. Just the calibration file is different. When ordering, just make a note that the controller is for the KW DDC shocks so we know to ship it to you with that calibration file on it. Click Here to Purchase!

·
Registered
107 Posts
So glad I didn't sell the controller after installing the KW DDC kit.

I haven't had enough seat time to make long informed review, just a couple of days worth of commuting. At first, normal mode, felt a bit stiffer/tighter than with the stock controller box. Harris was kind enough to send me a modified file with Normal mode being a bit softer, perfect for daily driving.

Sport and Track mode feel great. Acceleration feels much better in all modes, car doesn't squat as much as it did before.

I really need to put more seat time, and more spirited driving to see how the car feels when hooning it a bit, but right away I noticed the improvement in acceleration and car did feel flatter when turning onto another street at 30-40 mph.

Will post more impressions when I get more seat time. (My other mods include, Whiteline Swaybars and Endlinks, front swaybar set at the center setting and rear at the rear setting, and massive adjustable rear camber arms. Car has -2 degrees of camber all around)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Would this calibration work for the Litchfield version of the KW DDCs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Acceleration feels much better in all modes, car doesn't squat as much as it did before.
This was the biggest difference I felt when I installed my controller. On the stock suspension computer when you would really get on the gas the car would squat back so hard that it started to squirrel a little bit. But with the DSC controller that's all but eliminated entirely.

Unrelated, but @[email protected] how do I get a hold of a pair of those snazzy Focus RS stickers you have on the controller?

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are we looking at on that graph?
Do the kw ddc have a greater ranfe than the stock shocks?
The red line is the stock shock and the range that they operate, the blue lines are the range of the active shock package that we offer and the green line is the KW. As the green line shows, it is smoother and runs at a greater range than the stock shocks. This allows for a wider range of adjustment than the stock shocks and we were about to make our active controller range pretty wide for what the valve used has to offer. This means that the overall comfort and handling will be improved with our controller added to the package.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm wondering if this was the KW DDC kit of the Litchfield kit. I swear someone was sending them the Litchfield kit, not the KW DDC. (yes, they are based on the same package).

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have not tested the Litchfield kit, but our controller will work with the kit. The shock package has an electric valve, it should be the same valve used in the KW DDC shocks that we had on our dyno. Like their Bilstein package they offer for the GT-R, it is the same electronic valve that Bilstien uses (we control that valve in the GT-R, Porsche cars and Viper Gen V cars) but with a different shim stack and spring set. I am guessing that is the case here when they made that kit. Our controller will make a difference for that package as well. With our standard KW DDC map and the Litchfield package, you will notice a difference. You may need a change in the calibration file and if so, we are here to help create that map and work with any user to make a custom file for them.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm wondering if this was the KW DDC kit of the Litchfield kit. I swear someone was sending them the Litchfield kit, not the KW DDC. (yes, they are based on the same package).
We did not have the Litchfield kit. I know the shocks were not purchased from them. We were sent a set from a client and dealer in Europe, but they were not purchased from Litchfield. They were the standard KW DDC package available for the Focus RS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had contact with KW in Germany to asked them about the Litchfield version of the DDC and they inform me they only purchases one version of the DDC and that all of the KW DDC coil overs for the Focus RS are made the same way. So the DSC controller will work fine even with the "Litchfield" version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had contact with KW before I purchased my DDC set. I also we intriged by the fact that Litchfield say they have a special version of the DDC. I spoken with KW in Germany and they informed me KW only produce one version of the DDC for our RS and that they are all made the same way. So there is no difference and the DSC controller will work fine with the "Litchfield" KW DDC coil overs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before buying my KW DDC coil overs I contacted KW in Germany and asked about the set of Litchfield. I ask them about the differnce with the standard DDC, they told me there is no differnce because they only produce one type of the DDC for the Focus RS. So the DSC controller will work fine the "Litchfield" version of the KW DDC

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good to know they make them all the same.

What shouldn't be over looked here I feel is the real story in that graph. That the KW profile looks pretty much same as the Ford damper if I read it right......
Then we see the dotted lines, Tractive dampers?...Oh yeah now you see what your paying for. It would seem the hopes of a "cheap" alternative is some what blown out.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know they make them all the same.

What shouldn't be over looked here I feel is the real story in that graph. That the KW profile looks pretty much same as the Ford damper if I read it right......
Then we see the dotted lines, Tractive dampers?...Oh yeah now you see what your paying for. It would seem the hopes of a "cheap" alternative is some what blown out.
Steve,

Not sure what you are trying to say there. If you read on the previous page, it was noted that the red line is stock, green is KW and the blue is the Tractive setup that we sell. That has already been noted. I added the Tractive dyno in there just to show the difference. What you are reading in that graph is that the KW will offer slightly more than stock and that our shock package is truly active with an extremely wide range. What we have done here is test a shock as a client requested and made a calibration file to support a product. If you open the DSC Sport tuner software twice, you will see that two windows come up. You can then open the stock shock calibration file then the KW calibration file. Look at them side by side. There is slightly more range over stock and as users on this forum have noted, this is now better than stock and the DSC Sport controller has made a nice difference.

Lets get this thread back on topic. Not comparing others products, but to show that the DSC Sport controller really does make a difference for all electronic shock packages out on the market.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So glad I didn't sell the controller after installing the KW DDC kit.

I haven't had enough seat time to make long informed review, just a couple of days worth of commuting. At first, normal mode, felt a bit stiffer/tighter than with the stock controller box. Harris was kind enough to send me a modified file with Normal mode being a bit softer, perfect for daily driving.

Sport and Track mode feel great. Acceleration feels much better in all modes, car doesn't squat as much as it did before.

I really need to put more seat time, and more spirited driving to see how the car feels when hooning it a bit, but right away I noticed the improvement in acceleration and car did feel flatter when turning onto another street at 30-40 mph.

Will post more impressions when I get more seat time. (My other mods include, Whiteline Swaybars and Endlinks, front swaybar set at the center setting and rear at the rear setting, and massive adjustable rear camber arms. Car has -2 degrees of camber all around)
I had the same experience, just installed mine yesterday. Were you able to request a file that would put the "softer" suspension in more spots than just the Normal mode? I use Sport as my daily setting and would love to have Normal/Sport (normal suspension mode) be as comfy as possible and then Sport Suspension be as it comes from DSC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same experience, just installed mine yesterday. Were you able to request a file that would put the "softer" suspension in more spots than just the Normal mode? I use Sport as my daily setting and would love to have Normal/Sport (normal suspension mode) be as comfy as possible and then Sport Suspension be as it comes from DSC.
Yeah I did get a file. I can send it to you if you want, or you could contact Harris at DSC. It did make normal a bit softer like the stock KW's.

I did end up selling the controller after a few months as I wanted to kick-start my built longblock fund, and I was happy with the KW's on their own. If you do drive a bit more spirited the controller does make a difference with the Kw's.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

Write the track setting to normal, sport to sport, and normal to track

Then when in sport the stalk will toggle between sport and normal (soft).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts