Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know I run an odd brake setup in focus. I run the RS calipers/rotors/lines for summer and track days, and I run the ‘13 ST caliper/rotor/lines to run 16” wheels and tires.

Anyways, to make swapping easier I plan to run dry-break lines for the fitting between the soft brake line and the hard body mounted brake line.

I finally had time to measure the fitting from the oem RS brake lines and they are M10x1 metric threading.

From searching online, for dry break connectors all I can find are -AN fitting lines. Is there something I’m missing? Is there a direct correlation between -AN and metric? Or do I need to run adapters on top of the adapters.

Thanks for any push in the right direction

·
Registered
756 Posts
US military dated TECH, so of course its SAE not metric. They do make adapters, but you will not like the system once done. That's a lot of chances for failures.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
US military dated TECH, so of course its SAE not metric. They do make adapters, but you will not like the system once done. That's a lot of chances for failures.
^Exactly this. AN is a mil spec (unified US Army Navy standard) standard vs Metric. They do sell male-male or male-female adapters: https://www.jegs.com/c/Fittings-Hose_AN-to-Metric-Adapter-Fittings/200710/10002/-1

As Shimmer says, you'll end up with a "stack" of connections with more points of failure. I would maybe get some custom hydraulic/brake lines with the metric connections on either end but spliced with the dry brake quick disconnects in between?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
They use these in V8 supercar racing here in Aus so they dont change pads anymore in endurance racing they change the whole caliper assy. Also used in MotoGP without issues.
Some of these plus lines should do it.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
the brake line guys can put a multitude of fittings on.
I have HEL lines and the guy makes them to order,
I think they have an online configuration, not sure if the AN fittings are standard items, but ....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its more for convenience. Way faster to swap everything over without having to bleed the system every single time. The cost of custom brake lines and all that stuff for 2 sets of calipers would quickly outweigh the convenience factor.

Fully aware of what an AN fitting is. I’m just surprised that I cannot find any dry-break fittings in metric. Motorcycles having been using these kinds of things for years

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
its more for convenience. Way faster to swap everything over without having to bleed the system every single time. The cost of custom brake lines and all that stuff for 2 sets of calipers would quickly outweigh the convenience factor.

Fully aware of what an AN fitting is. I’m just surprised that I cannot find any dry-break fittings in metric. Motorcycles having been using these kinds of things for years
Would custom lines be all that expensive? You can even make your own which I have done many times on track and road bikes. I know they're not DOT legal but neither is the QD.

Ciao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts