Ford Focus RS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just wanna get some opinions on my RS performance. I have Catback, WGA, ETS IC, Injen Intake, Step1 colder sparks, Mountune Recirc Valve, WMI and no DP yet. I kinda feel like there is something's not right with the tune. First with all this stuff im seeing a peak of 391Est.HP (77F ambient) on the accessport. Second i ran a complete stock sti and barely gapped him on a 40 roll. Third, i ran my friends RS(IC, Intake, DP, Sparks) and he gapped me so much on a 40 roll. I keep on telling my tuner this and he says everything is good nothing to do with the tune. What do you guys think?

About the Gas, i always use Shell Vpower but this last refuel has bad OAR. This Tune is still under revision but power wise there shouldn't be a big difference.

Here is the LOG without WMI--> datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/ic?log=0&data=5-9

·
Registered
520 Posts
is your buddy's tune done? there can be big jumps between revisions.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i'm not sure but i wouldn't freak out too much until your tune is done.

what gear are you doing your 40 roll in? 2nd or 3rd?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I pulled on 2nd. You are right, thanks bro. I'm just curious to know what factors are affecting my runs, the only thing im not having is a DP over my friend when we had that run. Even last night i ran my buddy's bone stock STI with no tune and he is only a half car behind. Stock STI makes around 280ish or 290ishWHP and i should be making atleast 350WHP, its clear that's not what im putting.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Here is the LOG without WMI--> datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/ic?log=0&data=5-9
here is what i get from your datalog

- your octane looks good, OAR stayed at -1 which is good
- your ignition correction increased from 0 to +2 by the end of the pull, that means your car wasn't experiencing knock (that we know of) and could keep going more and more aggressive with timing
- your boost stayed stable at 25psi, and your wastegate only had to work at 50% to keep it there (peaked at 59%)
- your charge air temps kept going down and down the further into the pull, which means your intercooler is working great
- your air:fuel ratio stayed at about 11.5:1 which is great for a WOT pull, fairly safe

at this point i think i agree with @VaderRS and swap cars with your buddy and then see what happens. as far as your datalog goes your car gets a clean bill of health

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
JST tuned, Levels FMIC, ETS charge pipes, full cat-less exhaust, Turbosmart WGA, 1 step colder plugs (brand new), GFB recirc valve, Mountune intake induction elbow on 93 octane.

https://datazap.me/u/mazdababy/2017-ford-focus-rs-jst?log=0&data=5-9

How does it look? Been feeling down on power lately in WOT, but normal in partial throttle. Even feels faster sometimes just shy of WOT than actual WOT... my tuner says everything looks great. Someone suggested I reset the KAM, which I just had the battery out for a few hours last week, didn't notice a difference. Changed plugs a couple hundred miles ago and seemed to help, but still not the same.

Possible clutch is starting to go?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
JST tuned, Levels FMIC, ETS charge pipes, full cat-less exhaust, Turbosmart WGA, 1 step colder plugs (brand new), GFB recirc valve, Mountune intake induction elbow on 93 octane.

https://datazap.me/u/mazdababy/2017-ford-focus-rs-jst?log=0&data=5-9

How does it look? Been feeling down on power lately in WOT, but normal in partial throttle. Even feels faster sometimes just shy of WOT than actual WOT... my tuner says everything looks great. Someone suggested I reset the KAM, which I just had the battery out for a few hours last week, didn't notice a difference. Changed plugs a couple hundred miles ago and seemed to help, but still not the same.

Possible clutch is starting to go?
At a quick glance, I can't really see anything that is amiss. You had a -1 ign correction at cyl 4 from the start with no knock shown on the knock count, which I thought was kinda odd. Your waste gate is barely at half, so that's not limiting anything. One thing I would note, I see that your boost peaks mid-range, at around 4-5k rpm, but then drops down. Maybe that can explain the sensation of "falling flat" at WOT since the boost drops at the higher rpms? I know my JST tune peaks closer to 5-6k rpm and I actually had to change my driving style at the track to take advantage of this. Basically have to tell myself to "man-up and rev it s'more you pansy!" lol

interesting set of logs last night. 1-4 pull with launch control. one has flat foot shifting enabled, the other i shifted normal (NFFS). See attached. you can really see how boost holds with FFS.

FFS: https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v23-1-4-ffs?log=0&data=4-7
NFFS: https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v23-1-4-nffs?log=0&data=4-7
Good $h1t man... goooooood $h1t! You can see quite a few things between the two: the etc is held more open/closed for a shorter amount of time during shifts, which means much less of a drop in boost and shorter time to recover (spin the turbo back up to speed). The ignition correction looks like it didn't even reset at all during the 1-2 shift, plus the ignition timing had less retard to recover from. Very cool to see how the ecu is pulling/retarding timing during the shifts. You can also see the wastegate stay open (instead of abruptly shutting closed during a shift) which definitely keeps the turbo happy and spinning away. Thanks for this!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which gear is better to do logs in? 3rd or 4th?

My local tuner said to do them using 4th because it's more unlikely for detonation in 2-3rd. But it's easier to do them in 3rd lol

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Which gear is better to do logs in? 3rd or 4th?

My local tuner said to do them using 4th because it's more unlikely for detonation in 2-3rd. But it's easier to do them in 3rd lol
To be honest, I'd go with which ever you find safer and more consistent. True, tuners prefer 4th gear pulls, but I found it a little sketchy going that fast at redline on a public non-highway road. I usually datalog at an industrial area near me late at night/early in the morning. It's straight and flat, but can be bumpy in certain sections.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

decided on a whim to do a rolling WOT onto the highway from 1st to the top of 4th. when shifting from 1st to 2nd i looked in the rearview mirror and saw lots of smoke. i chose to just keep my foot in it. it just so happens i chose to datalog that run. it definitely wasn't clutch (i know that smell well heheh). i did flat-foot-shifting so i thought maybe it was super rich, but doesn't seem to be. i did recently put coilovers back on the car and lower it, but i can't see any spot it would rub, especially in the rear. the rear fender liners are cloth so even if it did squat and rub that shouldn't cause smoke. camber arms are maxed out, and i run square 255/35r18 on 18x8.75 et35 which isn't overly aggressive.

things to take away from my datalog, this is done on canadian 91 octane (we tried out 94 but tank-to-tank was too inconsistent), stratified tune

• my 100% throttle shows commitment lol. any "lift" it shows is electronic, i did flatfoot shifting
  • tune is set for around 22psi, you'll see how fast that stock turbo spools
  • wastegate duty cycle is only 55-57% to hold boost all the way to redline. i have tonnes of room to up the psi with the factory wastegate
  • intercoolers work! charge air temps went down below ambient the faster and harder i drove.
  • all 4 cylinders look very happy with ignition correction. nothing worrying from that.
  • tune is conservative for 91, long term fuel trim always shows -1.00
  • virtually no knock episodes on all cylinders. only "knock" was during FFS
thoughts on what the smoke could be? i doubt i was able to spin all four wheels on a rolling launch enough to get smoke, it definitely wasn't clutch, no its not coolant. and yeah i dunno.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It takes a little white to get used to them, but once you understand the graphs and all th parameters that the accessport can log it’s just insane. Modern obdII cars are so flexible it would be hard to go get an older project car again

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just got my base tune from stratified. Here is a log I took this afternoon. It is on 91 fuel. Do you guys think there is still some room for more power?
first graph is in 3rd gear and the second is in 4th

thanks
3rd gear looks fine. 4th looks to be getting more knock and is pulling timing. This coincides with a rise in charge air temps. I’m guessing you have a stock intercooler. Probably some refinement will need to be done. But I’m not a tuner so who knows. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I just got my base tune from stratified. Here is a log I took this afternoon. It is on 91 fuel. Do you guys think there is still some room for more power?
first graph is in 3rd gear and the second is in 4th

It's really hard to say if there's "more room" with a base tune log since they are only step 1 in the process and are usually very conservative. Typically, the tuner gradually ramps-up how aggressive the timing maps are until you get too much knock, then scale it one step back down. So really, you need at least 3 revisions since you only start to see how close to the "limit" you are at the 2nd to last revision.

But, judging from the knock counts on your 3rd gear log, there is definitely grounds to try add a little bit more timing. You got a little bit more knock on the 4th gear log, but your ignition corrections are still recovering, so there might be still room there.

I don't know about the 91 there in Canada, but the 91"ACN" here in California is pretty bad and most of my tunes for it were done at 3 revisions. Luckily, I have E85 all over my area, so E30 or just a splash blend is relatively easy.

161 - 180 of 198 Posts