Ford Focus RS Forum banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just wanna get some opinions on my RS performance. I have Catback, WGA, ETS IC, Injen Intake, Step1 colder sparks, Mountune Recirc Valve, WMI and no DP yet. I kinda feel like there is something's not right with the tune. First with all this stuff im seeing a peak of 391Est.HP (77F ambient) on the accessport. Second i ran a complete stock sti and barely gapped him on a 40 roll. Third, i ran my friends RS(IC, Intake, DP, Sparks) and he gapped me so much on a 40 roll. I keep on telling my tuner this and he says everything is good nothing to do with the tune. What do you guys think?

About the Gas, i always use Shell Vpower but this last refuel has bad OAR. This Tune is still under revision but power wise there shouldn't be a big difference.

Here is the LOG without WMI--> datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/ic?log=0&data=5-9

·
Registered
516 Posts
is your buddy's tune done? there can be big jumps between revisions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i'm not sure but i wouldn't freak out too much until your tune is done.

what gear are you doing your 40 roll in? 2nd or 3rd?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pulled on 2nd. You are right, thanks bro. I'm just curious to know what factors are affecting my runs, the only thing im not having is a DP over my friend when we had that run. Even last night i ran my buddy's bone stock STI with no tune and he is only a half car behind. Stock STI makes around 280ish or 290ishWHP and i should be making atleast 350WHP, its clear that's not what im putting.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Here is the LOG without WMI--> datazap.me/u/rsmrk3/ic?log=0&data=5-9
here is what i get from your datalog

- your octane looks good, OAR stayed at -1 which is good
- your ignition correction increased from 0 to +2 by the end of the pull, that means your car wasn't experiencing knock (that we know of) and could keep going more and more aggressive with timing
- your boost stayed stable at 25psi, and your wastegate only had to work at 50% to keep it there (peaked at 59%)
- your charge air temps kept going down and down the further into the pull, which means your intercooler is working great
- your air:fuel ratio stayed at about 11.5:1 which is great for a WOT pull, fairly safe

at this point i think i agree with @VaderRS and swap cars with your buddy and then see what happens. as far as your datalog goes your car gets a clean bill of health

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
JST tuned, Levels FMIC, ETS charge pipes, full cat-less exhaust, Turbosmart WGA, 1 step colder plugs (brand new), GFB recirc valve, Mountune intake induction elbow on 93 octane.

https://datazap.me/u/mazdababy/2017-ford-focus-rs-jst?log=0&data=5-9

How does it look? Been feeling down on power lately in WOT, but normal in partial throttle. Even feels faster sometimes just shy of WOT than actual WOT... my tuner says everything looks great. Someone suggested I reset the KAM, which I just had the battery out for a few hours last week, didn't notice a difference. Changed plugs a couple hundred miles ago and seemed to help, but still not the same.

Possible clutch is starting to go?

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
JST tuned, Levels FMIC, ETS charge pipes, full cat-less exhaust, Turbosmart WGA, 1 step colder plugs (brand new), GFB recirc valve, Mountune intake induction elbow on 93 octane.

https://datazap.me/u/mazdababy/2017-ford-focus-rs-jst?log=0&data=5-9

How does it look? Been feeling down on power lately in WOT, but normal in partial throttle. Even feels faster sometimes just shy of WOT than actual WOT... my tuner says everything looks great. Someone suggested I reset the KAM, which I just had the battery out for a few hours last week, didn't notice a difference. Changed plugs a couple hundred miles ago and seemed to help, but still not the same.

Possible clutch is starting to go?
At a quick glance, I can't really see anything that is amiss. You had a -1 ign correction at cyl 4 from the start with no knock shown on the knock count, which I thought was kinda odd. Your waste gate is barely at half, so that's not limiting anything. One thing I would note, I see that your boost peaks mid-range, at around 4-5k rpm, but then drops down. Maybe that can explain the sensation of "falling flat" at WOT since the boost drops at the higher rpms? I know my JST tune peaks closer to 5-6k rpm and I actually had to change my driving style at the track to take advantage of this. Basically have to tell myself to "man-up and rev it s'more you pansy!" lol

interesting set of logs last night. 1-4 pull with launch control. one has flat foot shifting enabled, the other i shifted normal (NFFS). See attached. you can really see how boost holds with FFS.

FFS: https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v23-1-4-ffs?log=0&data=4-7
NFFS: https://datazap.me/u/vinnie/v23-1-4-nffs?log=0&data=4-7
Good $h1t man... goooooood $h1t! You can see quite a few things between the two: the etc is held more open/closed for a shorter amount of time during shifts, which means much less of a drop in boost and shorter time to recover (spin the turbo back up to speed). The ignition correction looks like it didn't even reset at all during the 1-2 shift, plus the ignition timing had less retard to recover from. Very cool to see how the ecu is pulling/retarding timing during the shifts. You can also see the wastegate stay open (instead of abruptly shutting closed during a shift) which definitely keeps the turbo happy and spinning away. Thanks for this!

161 - 170 of 170 Posts
About this Discussion
169 Replies
31 Participants
BigFatFlip
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing